HM Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 by Sjors - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64

No pictures today because i make a little mistake....

I can only blame it to myself.

I have read the manuel i think about 25 times.

I was for sure that i know that the bullwarks are on the right site to glue them to the frames.

I clamp them and went for some shopping.

When i get back i take a look and thought.......No, this is not good!

Take another look at the drawings....went to the computer to watch the build log from James and then i see it....

The bullwarks that begins at the  bow went wrong!

Starboard was on the port side  and port side on the starboard side......

I use woodglue on a water base so it was easy to get it loose and glue it again.

But then on the right side!!!!!

It looks much better now.

Tomorrow you will see a picture.
So for the people who also building the Flirt....attention for that.

Sjors

14 minutes ago, James H said:

There's no difference between port and starboard bulwarks. Those are exactly the same.

Ow??? 

Then i don’t understand what i’m doing then....😢

I shall try to explain it.

The first time from the bow to  the middle i have on both side a gap on the bottom.

First i thought i have to do remove more wood on the frames. Bevelled?
I change it and now it looks perfect.

As i was saying before...pictures tomorrow.

Sjors

I just went to the bench and of course you are right James.

The temp. Is going in to my brains.

I was not in a rush so i don’t know why it was early this day not good and when i change the bullwark it was good.

Maybe a building ghost is visiting me 😛

Sjors

I think many of us have a "building ghost" running around, Sjors.   I'm happy to hear you got it sorted.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

First planking is done!

On the last days of my vacation I have planked and did a lot of sanding.......

Normally I take a little sander machine called a mouse but because it is a small model I do it by hand.

The blisters are now on it 😢

Time to heal 🙂

I must say that the planking was not that easy...

Normally I have plank models that are over 1 meter long.

But I have done it.

And now tho the stern..

And then the second planking.

I only have to figure out how I clamp that second planking....

Maybe pushpins or those pins that you are using on a board?

Sjors

First planking 1.jpeg

First planking 2.jpeg

First planking 3.jpeg

First planking 4.jpeg

First planking 5.jpeg

7 hours ago, James H said:

I know some purists hate it, and also talk of it crumbling away in years to come, but I used CA (gel).

Aren't you and I purists, who is more pure than us because they don't use CA? Just because contemporary models didn't use CA, because it didn't exist, doesn't make it any less a good solution. I've been using CA for planking since the first model I built over 20 years ago, they are all just fine.  Using Chuck's plank bending and hull lining method there is no better option than CA.

I don't understand any better reason for using glue other than CA, complicating an already complicated process - but that's me and that's just my opinion. I like CA, it is my friend, we really stick together through thick and thin 😄

8 hours ago, Sjors said:

And then the second planking.

I recommend you do a few searches about Chuck Passaro's lining the hull and plank bending technique. There are video and .pdf tutorials on the forum. Both my Lady Nelson and Cheerful build logs linked in my signature line touch on how I applied it. It was easy to learn and a major shift for me having built multiple models before I discovered it ( though I've always used CA).

One other suggestion, you're pretty thin at the stern, may want to be careful to insure the width of your 2nd planking on both sides is equal to the width of the stern post. I also agree with Spy Glass regarding tapering - the same number of planks should terminate at both the bow and stern as there are at the waist of the ship. Chuck's lining the hull tutorial will show you how much to measure and cut to make that work.  It's normally good to practice to also do that with your first planking, but at this point you have a good base for the 2nd planking and there is no reason to change it.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

I've been using CA for planking since the first model I built over 20 years ago, they are all just fine.  Using Chuck's plank bending and hull lining method there is no better option than CA.

My first model was a little fishing dory. I bought lots of small clamps for the planking because that's what I had seen on most of the various build logs I had read here on MSW. I resorted to all sorts of complicated arrangements of clamps and rubber bands using PVA to plank the dory. It worked but it was tedious and slow and I hated waiting so long for the glue to dry before I could move on to another plank. 

On my second model, the Batelina by MarisStella, I discovered how to use medium viscosity CA for planking and have never looked back again. I spend a little more time getting the planks to fit well before gluing them and then I just add a very small dab of CA on the frames or bulkheads as I move along laying down the plank. I will occasionally add a tiny bit of CA to an edge to help a plank fit tighter also. The medium viscosity CA gives me enough time to do quick adjustments if necessary too. The planking goes along so much faster and the CA forms a strong bond as well. For me, it makes the planking process so much more enjoyable.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for all te reactions.

Question.

What is CA gel?

Is that a kind of super glue?

Never hear of it.

I normally use wood glue that hold on the plank after 15 minutes and dry solid after 24 hours......

I will take care that I lay the planks smooth to each other.

I know that my sternpost is a little tiny at the bottom.

I was to fanatic with sanding.

I hope I can make the solution to glue a little wood on it and sand it down to the same thickness as the rest of the sternpost.

It's gonna be painted  but I will see.

Sjors

1 minute ago, Sjors said:

Thanks for all te reactions.

Question.

What is CA gel?

Never hear of it.

I normally use wood glue that hold on the plank after 15 minutes and dry solid after 24 hours......

I will take care that I lay the planks smooth to each other.

I know that my sternpost is a little tiny at the bottom.

I was to fanatic with sanding.

I hope I can make the solution to glue a little wood on it and sand it down to the same thickness as the rest of the sternpost.

It's gonna be painted  but I will see.

Sjors

Yes, CA is superglue. The one I use is this:

412Dba7J+yL.jpg

Thanks Mugje,

I have found it at Bol.com 😄

It takes only 6 days before it arrives.

The Flirt from Chris Watton from England was only 3 days 🤣
But no rush....

Sjors

11 hours ago, Sjors said:

What is CA gel?

There are Bob Smith Industry CA glues with different viscosity that I’ve used exclusively for 20 years. I use the medium one on the left 95% of the time, the one on the right is a thick gel. The main difference is set up time. With the gel you get a little more time (10-15 seconds) to position something. I used it today to attach the rudder post to Cheerful. 

There is also a thin version that I never used with near instant adhesion. 
image.thumb.jpg.92ee879351656cee76c1fa595aa10937.jpg

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks Glenn,

I just order that gorilla stuff what James is talking about.

But i think that it is cheaper to get it here then from the usa......

Sjors

I have been using Titebond Thick & Quick when I know I will need more time to get a piece set correctly. It sets up much faster than regular Titebond and is not runny so it will stick to vertical surfaces and the squeeze out won't run down the piece.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

The stern is planked .

Also placed the master planks.

Next update when she is closed with the second planking....

Don't think that it is the day after tomorrow  because work has started again.......

Sjors

Stern planking.jpeg

Masterplank.jpeg

Masterplank boeg.jpeg

On 8/20/2020 at 2:45 AM, James H said:

The one I use is this:

Geez, James has production quality photos of glue🤣😂😅🤣😂

Regards,

Glenn

Excellent progress, Sjors. She's well on her way to becoming a very nice model!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes 🙂

Inner bulwarks are planked and painted.

Let's move on with drilling the holes for the eyebolts and planking further on the outside.

Sjors

Planked and painted bullwark 1.jpeg

Planked and painted bullwark 2.jpeg

Planked and painted bullwark.jpeg

2 hours ago, James H said:

put a little offcut of timber on the inside bulwark

That's a great suggestion.

Regards,

Glenn

6 hours ago, Sjors said:

Inner bulwarks are planked and painted.

It's coming along great!  

Regards,

Glenn

2 hours ago, James H said:

I put a little offcut of timber on the inside bulwark, where the holes are being drilled. 

Just saved any possible breakout/splintering of the timber there.

I read that in the manuel and i did that 🙂

Everything went just fine and on with the planking again....

@Glenn,

Thanks and also for the likes!

Sjors