cutty sark treenail deck pattern

Good moorning folks, 

i have question to ask pelase .im about to plank deck of  cutty sark i have log on this forum....have most of it fugured out but what I did not run to is what pattern would possibly be treenail on deck planks. 

i dont have books about cutty but it would help immensely if someone knows what pattern 1850 english vessels made at joint butt and in sections. if two nails parallel-even like this : or  off / angled. like this      l:l     vs         l. 'l      l. 'l      l. 'l 

thanks a lot in advance. Vladimir

Hi Vladimir,

I have a copy of Longridge's book on the Cutty Sark. He states, "each plank had a dowel in the centre of its width wherever it crossed a deck beam, and one close to each end to secure the butt from rising."

I guess the answer is one treenail in the centre of the plank.

Cheers,

Martin.

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

Vladimir,

Further information. Longridge also mentions the holes as being .8mm diameter (and 3mm in from the butt end of the plank) in 1:48 scale. Adjust this to your scale.

Cheers,

Martin

You are a treasure Martin , thank you very very much ! looks like less work though:) in 1:24 scale it means 1.6 mm in center of plank approx 5 mm from end. plank width 5 or 6 mm.  makes  sense seems to me there were probably iron bolts to hold planks just covered with dowels. i will show the progress, starting  tomorrow, i have deck roofs already finished, so there will be probably same approach just adjusted to smaller timbers. 3 mm on my case . ..but i would not bother for roof probably... is he mentioning that as well please? gosh i sould have bought that book really. but i am affraid i would rework that ship 3rd time so better not  :) have fine weekend Vlad 

You are correct Vlad. Longridge states that "the wooden deck was bolted directly onto the beams, and the bolt holes filled with dowels".

All he mentions with regard to the deck house roofs is that he believes they were originally roofed with teak planking and caulked like the deck. Not much to say really.

Cheers

Martin