New member from Scotland, very old krabbencutter

Hi fellow modellers.

I normally build little plastic tanks, until the covid lockdown here in Scotland when not being able to buy anything to make, my attention moved onto the old krabencutter. A girlfriend bought me this model nearly 40 years ago, I started it and built up the keel and ribs (easy bits), then I drifted off, too many distractions, probably the said girlfriend. My father then “offered” to help out with it and he did the planking, it lay for many years until my divorce from the said girlfriend/wife when I found myself back home for a couple of months and picked it up again to fill, sand and paint the hull. It then went into hibernation for another long time till March of this year when I dusted it off and got back to work and am having great fun. Billings instructions, at least for me, are a little vague and for this novice the rigging is taking a bit figuring out, however I think I am nearly there. I suppose like many modellers I don’t like to just build something without understanding the functionality of the subject, which leads me to my question and the reason of joining this site....does anyone know what the large black disc that would appear to run up and down a line from the bow to to three quarters up the main mast is for? On some of the completed models I’ve seen this is in fact a sphere and not a disc? I think it may be some kind of visual display of the boats status for the benefit of other vessels ie nets deployed or not. This is really annoying me as I think I now understand what all the rest of the rigging lines do and would love to get a definitive answer. The said girlfriend is still around and my father and are taking much interest in the old thing and are looking forward to the day it will be finally complete.

Thanks for looking

Cheers Paul

65750541-061A-45A0-8871-0C3A1E8038E2.jpeg

17412A0C-57E6-4F5A-886C-63B5F0D51C1D.jpeg

00C60475-F7DF-490C-AD20-ED83561279F8.jpeg

Welcome Paul:

Years back I spent several weeks riding a bicycle around Scotland.  I came equipped with camping gear to be self-sufficient but you Scots are so friendly I wasn't given the opportunity to camp out.  Everywhere I went, people invited me in!  Your country is a bicycler's dream.  That said, I wish I could be of help in answering your question.

Welcome to Model Ship World Paul.  Your Krabbenkutter looks very nice.  You are well on your way to finishing it. Thanks for posting your pictures.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome to MSW, Paul.  Nice work on the Krabbenkutter.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A belated welcome to MSW. Like the crab boat.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome Paul,

I live in Scotland also and, like you, restarted a 25 yr old project (Dallas Cutter) back in March when CV hit.

Once I got back into the Dallas build and found I was enjoying it, I ordered Chris Watton's Lady Eleanor Fifie fishing boat as a follow-on project. 

My plan is to visit Anstruther, once things become a bit safer, where there is a similar fishing vessel (Reaper) that has been restored by the Scottish Fisheries Museum Trust.

All the best,

Richard