RMS Queen Elizabeth by ChrisSC - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/600 - PLASTIC

I have a 1/350 Lusitania on hold waiting for parts so I decided to try out a 1/600 scale ship. I didn't think I would enjoy the smaller size but it's growing on me. I just added some PE and decals to the decks tonight. I am going to finish up all the inclined ladders/stairs with PE and add PE railings . I started gluing on a few decks and am test fitting on the superstructure. I used some left over 1/350 PE grills for the vents and printed up some basic window decals. I masked and painted the bridge windows and then decided decals were much easier and look about the same.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9 Bridge Windows.jpg

10 Forecastle Masking.jpg

11 Forecastle Bracing.jpg

12 Forecastle White Paint.jpg

13 Masking Poop Deck.jpg

14 Windows.jpg

15 Poop Deck.jpg

16 Forecastle Grey Paint.jpg

17 Forecastle.jpg

18 Finished Forecastle.jpg

19 Display Base.jpg

20 Hull Mounted.jpg

21 Paint Work.jpg

22 Masking.jpg

23 Painted Main Decks.jpg

24 Lots of Masking.jpg

25 Vents and Windows.jpg

26 Vents and Windows.jpg

27 Windows.jpg

28 Dry Fit.jpg

29 Anchor Chain.jpg

30 Anchor Chain.jpg

31 PE Paint Prep.jpg

32 Bridge PE.jpg

33 PE Ladders and Doors.jpg

35 Dry Fit.jpg

36 Decks Glued.jpg

Looks nice.  That 1/600 photo etch is mighty small.  You are doing a good job working with it.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

That is not true, although you don't see the individual parts, you do see the difference between a model with and without PE. Espcially when done with care, like yours.

and if only seen on pics, we can only encourage you to place more pics :)

Most of the small scales here are warships. Itis niceto see something slightly more peacefull ;)

jan

4 hours ago, amateur said:

That is not true, although you don't see the individual parts, you do see the difference between a model with and without PE. Espcially when done with care, like yours.

and if only seen on pics, we can only encourage you to place more pics :)

Most of the small scales here are warships. Itis niceto see something slightly more peacefull ;)

jan

I do like battleships but since I was a child I have always had a fascination and like for the old ocean liners. They are my preference in models at this point.

Amazing  work and at 1/600 scale   - superb work, tidy  clean and really sharp painting.

I too have done a few of these kits  SS France,  QE2  and  Canberra, but not as nice as you have, looking forward to more.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thank You. The model doesn't come with the platform on the forecastle so I added it. I finished most of the stairs and am doing all the railings I won't be able to get to once the lifeboat davits are installed and in my way. I also glued on the bridge area and props. I think I'm going to do the lifeboat davits next. I have PE parts for them so it should take awhile.

37 Platform.jpg

38 Platform.jpg

40 Screws.jpg

41 Railings.jpg

42 Railings.jpg

43 Bridge.jpg

44 QE Platform.jpg

I decided against the PE davits, they are just too thin IMO to hold the lifeboats. I was going to use some of the parts and make a combo out of plastic and PE but I don't think it will look good, I am going to use the seats though. I painted and installed the funnels. All that remains are the railings, masts, lifeboats and rigging.

45 Davits.jpg

46 Cunard Red.jpg

47 Funnels.jpg

48 Funnels.jpg

49 Funnels.jpg

Thanks a lot Louie da fly. I installed the lifeboats and added more railings. The boats really don't fit very well on the davits but they are now attached. I also had the top most section of railing around the brown area get stuck in a position I didn't want....I hate CA glue for that reason. It will have to stay that way as it's never coming off lol. She is almost done. Another couple of days for a few more railings, masts, ratlines, and 4 or 5 pieces of rigging and I'm gonna call it done.

57 Railings.jpg

58 Railings.jpg

59 Lifeboats.jpg

Almost done on my 1/600 Queen Elizabeth. I think if all goes well I will finish her off tomorrow. I installed all the railings on the forecastle and its little platform, the bridge railings, the forward mast and ratlines, some rigging, and the anchors. Tomorrow I will finish up the main mast, rear ratlines and rigging, and a few more railings at the stern. Then it will be onto something else, maybe a Queen Mary.

60 Platform.jpg

61 Forward Mast.jpg

63 Bridge Railing.jpg

8 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Looking good!

As far as I know, nail polish remover dissolves CA. Might be worth a try (but probably best to test it on scrap first!)

Thanks. I think I am just going to leave it alone. It is only the railing around the brown area in the photo. My intention was to just tack a corner down then slightly pull the rear of the railing into a slight curve. Instead I grabbed the super thin CA as opposed to the thicker stuff and it immediately wicked under and welded the whole thing in place. It's not too bad, unfortunately it has the darkest color under it that's on the ship and shows itself. To tell you the truth the camera highlights everything, in life you don't even see most of the railings. At least at 57 I don't lol!

CA.jpg

17 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

I bet you that even Airfix does not have such a nice model in their collection.

Very well done. So, what is the next one? Titanic 1/200 by Trumpeter?

Yves

Thanks so much for your kind words. In a perfect world I would be able to finish my 1/350 Lusitania that is half built but unfortunately I have been waiting on some parts I need for a few months. I don't think I am going to build the 1/200 Titanic in the near future. In all honesty I really enjoyed this 1/600 and I think I may build several more of the kits I have in that scale. I am leaning towards either an Airfix 1/600 RMS QE2 or a Revell 1/570 RMS Queen Mary.

Very well done, she  looks beautiful.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Congratulations on completing your Titanic.  It is one of the nicest built models of this ship that I have seen.  I look forward to your next project.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Beautiful build! Can you provide the paint colors used? Particularly interested in what you used for wood decks, anti-fouling red, stacks, and grey and brown colors on the roofs. Attached a shot I took in 1965 of the ship docked on the Hudson River in NYC. Would love to complete a build of this kit as part of that memory. Thanks for any info you can provide.

0002_0095406173-DeNoiseAI-clear.jpeg

• 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to RMS Queen Elizabeth by ChrisSC - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/600 - PLASTIC