Thermopylae by Devildog36 - Mantua - 1:124

12 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Nice work on the stern. I was wondering how you were going to do that. What's the problem with the deckhouses?

Mainly the painting and overall appearance. I've decided to put a strip of stained walnut around the top of each to outline the area and provide a separation between the two colors.  I also drilled out the portholes to give them depth and will pain the porthole surround a metal color.  I'll post pics when it's done but it's like watching paint dry......litterally

To be honest, I think it looks pretty good. Remembering that we're all our own worst critics, perhaps it's not as world-shatteringly terrible as you think.

If it looks good in a photo (and they often exaggerate faults), I think you can probably feel safe that it's of acceptable quality.

So I finished the first hull and applied some mud.  Before any of you comment I’ve already done a rough sanding and, yes there is a lot of mud remaining. I treated this like the first time I primed a car.  I applied tooo much mud and plan to sand..... a lot.  After I get it smooth and the shape fine tuned I will apply the outer hull.  In the meantime I began cutting the decking for the main deck.  I bundled them together after cutting to ensure they sanded to the same dimension. 014CB169-A4D2-4A36-BA47-DC961A07D454.jpeg.17e10f3e21fadcdafa795b4234c2d897.jpeg46D1EDE8-22BD-4634-BFA0-F4558FBA4C30.jpeg.d74e9f35c062e3e6296f69cd5bfe4964.jpeg47445B76-1EF9-4783-96D2-FA500C8C87EB.jpeg.250a0aef987a81df0fb039d46e2e8c68.jpeg8AAD825F-7C23-4E91-941E-294DD6420317.jpeg.2e0a30c8cac04fcda3f9fd1bb4711135.jpeg

2 hours ago, Devildog36 said:

So I finished the first hull and applied some mud.  Before any of you comment I’ve already done a rough sanding and, yes there is a lot of mud remaining. I treated this like the first time I primed a car.  I applied tooo much mud and plan to sand..... a lot.  After I get it smooth and the shape fine tuned I will apply the outer hull.  In the meantime I began cutting the decking for the main deck.  I bundled them together after cutting to ensure they sanded to the same dimension. 014CB169-A4D2-4A36-BA47-DC961A07D454.jpeg.17e10f3e21fadcdafa795b4234c2d897.jpeg46D1EDE8-22BD-4634-BFA0-F4558FBA4C30.jpeg.d74e9f35c062e3e6296f69cd5bfe4964.jpeg47445B76-1EF9-4783-96D2-FA500C8C87EB.jpeg.250a0aef987a81df0fb039d46e2e8c68.jpeg8AAD825F-7C23-4E91-941E-294DD6420317.jpeg.2e0a30c8cac04fcda3f9fd1bb4711135.jpeg

and beauty is born :) nice! 

I started the outer hull and decided to do something different. 64B94A33-16E5-4D4B-B789-9462D4ADDFDD.jpeg.329ae870a34c58d5c7a305da6d614f84.jpeg

I found some paintings and I noticed on the larger museum models that the hull below the water line is a brick pattern.  I’m not sure why other than it may have been easier to maintain and replace individual boards.

DCC543A0-632C-4CA1-89E6-9C9198DA131B.jpeg.e653342f8f49162427e6cf0cf9f8dceb.jpeg

I like the look and was thinking of mimicking it using paint but then remembered I’m not worried how long it takes so I bundled some wood and cut some small pieces DFED5202-66E1-4FF7-AEA3-2C0FF54FC382.jpeg.790eae8dfd7b5dd4f48735ecdbcf57fb.jpegCA704EFC-F3CD-421E-A561-B284DB5CC771.jpeg.4bf4e8454db52d1458fc1729fb1d09dd.jpeg

this is what I’m left with.  It will take a long time to finish but I’m hopeful it will give me the pattern I like.   4D575E40-46B1-4B95-8C6A-E14DCCBAF75E.jpeg.1d13dc537f025ec7a492df016d303512.jpeg

thoughts

Hey Devildog36,

I’m just reading through your build log for the first time and it looks great! I just wanted you to know that I’m fairly certain this “brick pattern” is actually copper plating, it was used on real ships to help protect the hull and help increase the life time of the ship. It can be bought in packs of precut copper plates or a roll of copper tape that you cut and apply.

I found a picture that better describes what I’m talking about here, good luck!

btw this picture is certainly not my own build, i found this picture online. 

59F0B70D-25B1-41FF-92AA-74A9F49C11F1.jpeg

Also, semper fi

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

• 2 weeks later...

Devil dog, 

I’m glad to see your progress! I think if you were to finish the planking and maybe even stain or paint the “copper” a lighter color than the planking, i think it will look great. Good luck!

Bradley 

Current Builds:

Future Builds:

Completed Builds:

Shelved Builds:

Here are some images of coppered hulls after they've been in the sea for awhile (both from the Constitution). Note the first picture shows a new sheet of copper being added to older ones, so you can see the difference a bit of immersion makes.

New Copper Sheathing - USS Constitution Museum  View of the USS Constitution's hull in drydock : boston

It might be good to paint the underwater hull to resemble these, after all that work you've done to make the "coppering".

11 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Here are some images of coppered hulls after they've been in the sea for awhile (both from the Constitution). Note the first picture shows a new sheet of copper being added to older ones, so you can see the difference a bit of immersion makes.

New Copper Sheathing - USS Constitution Museum  View of the USS Constitution's hull in drydock : boston

It might be good to paint the underwater hull to resemble these, after all that work you've done to make the "coppering".

That’s a pretty cool picture! I’ve never seen a new plate installation before. Thanks!

Current Builds:

Future Builds:

Completed Builds:

Shelved Builds:

20 hours ago, michaelpsutton2 said:

The individual plates should be scaled to represent about 14" X 48"

I do understand and agree but this is my first build and I’m learning.  I really appreciate your comment.  Helps me think about how I should be thinking when building.  

21 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Wow.  Thank you very much.  I can’t do much about the scale of the plates but I’ll do my best to work with the color.  Thank you so much. Greatly appreciated. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey devil dog,

just wanted to see how the build was going? Hope all is well.

Bradley 

Current Builds:

Future Builds:

Completed Builds:

Shelved Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I started going into the office a few da,yes a week and I’ve been really busy but i story to do a little everyday.  My first planking is going well. Not right but we’ll.  I’ve learned so much.  I’m going to finish this one and think about looks and try to do my best but I’ve given up on too much historical accuracy for this one.  Just for fun.  Here is where I’m at.  And before anyone points it out I figured out I did it the hard way.  Bottom first them top down is going to make meeting in the middle hard.  Next time find the waterline first.  Lol. 565B0AAF-B74E-476A-9929-65C51BBE38CE.jpeg.ef6de244801ebedd444e5029c4f6b0a8.jpeg 

going to use a dreamer and fit the bottom to fit the last row.  
5698517D-B054-4E1E-891E-F9B598176B3F.jpeg.1ef6311989bced9f74ac810c5489e07e.jpeg

still needs lots of sanding.  The wood I bought from Modelers central is so much better and harder than the kit.  
81CE1C72-0E32-45FF-B427-3692E8390201.jpeg.10791202d277d8a5c0b9a3639f563c0e.jpeg

pok'in my head in here :)   looks really good!  yea......I wouldn't recommend this kit as a 'first build',  but then again,  when I started,  I didn't pick the easiest model to start out with either.  you did something rather neat with the copper plating......just paint below the waterline copper,  and dry brush it with flat medium green...downward strokes to the keel.  the kit does have it's shortcomings......the railings are the worst.  if your following my log,  feel free to copy my method.   there are links there too....one will take you to a museum that has some really nice pictures of the rigging.   your able to zoom in and rotate the pictures,  so you can see different angles.  the rigging is similar to most clipper ships that you'll find here,  but pay a mind to the Cutty.......at one time she had barque rigging.   the belaying pins were another aspect I replaced...you'll read it in my log as well.  one thing you will learn with this kit is scratch building.........a very good bit of experience.  I learned it early on,  but then......I didn't see it that way......I thought I was just being creative :D 

I got a lot of my stuff from Cornwall Model Boats - Static display and radio control model boat kits including period wooden model ships.Model Ship fittings, Caldercraft Boats

there is a lack of life boats with this kit too........you can find them here.......just bear in mind the scale of the model,  and you will do fine ;)   I don't know of too many folks who have finished this kit.  I hope to get back to mine.  keep up the good work........and don't worry about how it looks now.   it will all come together when you finally get some paint on her  ;)    look the best when finished.......just think of it as riding on a train........miles of track and many curves along the way.   mind if I follow along?  emoticones_dibujos_popeye-el-marino1_en.PlanetaEmoticon_com.gif.b0a605e939729bc3d824537edb4145b3.gif

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 10/29/2020 at 9:58 PM, popeye the sailor said:

pok'in my head in here :)   looks really good!  yea......I wouldn't recommend this kit as a 'first build',  but then again,  when I started,  I didn't pick the easiest model to start out with either.  you did something rather neat with the copper plating......just paint below the waterline copper,  and dry brush it with flat medium green...downward strokes to the keel.  the kit does have it's shortcomings......the railings are the worst.  if your following my log,  feel free to copy my method.   there are links there too....one will take you to a museum that has some really nice pictures of the rigging.   your able to zoom in and rotate the pictures,  so you can see different angles.  the rigging is similar to most clipper ships that you'll find here,  but pay a mind to the Cutty.......at one time she had barque rigging.   the belaying pins were another aspect I replaced...you'll read it in my log as well.  one thing you will learn with this kit is scratch building.........a very good bit of experience.  I learned it early on,  but then......I didn't see it that way......I thought I was just being creative :D 

I got a lot of my stuff from Cornwall Model Boats - Static display and radio control model boat kits including period wooden model ships.Model Ship fittings, Caldercraft Boats

there is a lack of life boats with this kit too........you can find them here.......just bear in mind the scale of the model,  and you will do fine ;)   I don't know of too many folks who have finished this kit.  I hope to get back to mine.  keep up the good work........and don't worry about how it looks now.   it will all come together when you finally get some paint on her  ;)    look the best when finished.......just think of it as riding on a train........miles of track and many curves along the way.   mind if I follow along?  emoticones_dibujos_popeye-el-marino1_en.PlanetaEmoticon_com.gif.b0a605e939729bc3d824537edb4145b3.gif

Thanks a lot.  I appreciate the feedback and resources.  I finished the sanding to 600 and like it.  I’m going to fix the bow where it broke and finalize the stern then paint.  I will take your suggestions in consideration.  I have a weathered green copper paint I’m considering for the bottom.  The information for the lifeboats was immensely helpful.   Thanks a lot 

to be honest,  I had my eye on the Revell kit........I've built two Cutty Sark models already.  I truly enjoy the Revell 1:96 series of kits.....the Thermopylae I have yet to build.   the admiral got me the Sergal kit for Christmas one year........I've gone so far with it......I should go the rest of the way.  I have the rigging plans for the Revell kit,  which is a lot better than the diagrams they included.  I will likely use them as a guide,  but I also have the museum pictures tro go by as well.  there are other builds that I've looked at........due to the scale of this kit,  it would be impossible to add in all the bells and whistles.  I'll do what seems feasible,  yet interesting.

models are built on a concept........what the builder might see.  sounds like you have a concept building for your rendition...this is good ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch