Thermopylae by Devildog36 - Mantua - 1:124

On 11/9/2020 at 6:51 PM, Jim Lad said:

With curves such as the taffrail, It often works better to cut the curve from a wider piece og wood.

John

With my next model I plan to purchase a few new tools, like a jigsaw and table saw.  But I won’t be able to get Admiral buyin until I show I can finish one. Lol

Looking good! Any ideas for the next build?

Bradley 

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

• 2 weeks later...

Your making great progress! Everything looks really nice

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

• 2 months later...

Had to take a break around the holidays.  Father in law is 81 years old and has Parkinsons.  He went into the hospital with Bladder stones and ended up having an aneurysm of the kidney and then getting pneumonia. Between medical problems myself and his I've had no time for myself.  Oh yeah there's work in there too.  ugh.  Can't wait till retirement. 

I pray your father in law gets well soon and that your health returns to normal. Get well, we'll patiently wait for project updates.  

The turned wood stanchions are a unique way to display her.....I like it.  Good job.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 1:58 AM, popeye the sailor said:

pok'in my head in here :)   looks really good!  yea......I wouldn't recommend this kit as a 'first build',  but then again,  when I started,  I didn't pick the easiest model to start out with either.  you did something rather neat with the copper plating......just paint below the waterline copper,  and dry brush it with flat medium green...downward strokes to the keel.  the kit does have it's shortcomings......the railings are the worst.  if your following my log,  feel free to copy my method.   there are links there too....one will take you to a museum that has some really nice pictures of the rigging.   your able to zoom in and rotate the pictures,  so you can see different angles.  the rigging is similar to most clipper ships that you'll find here,  but pay a mind to the Cutty.......at one time she had barque rigging.   the belaying pins were another aspect I replaced...you'll read it in my log as well.  one thing you will learn with this kit is scratch building.........a very good bit of experience.  I learned it early on,  but then......I didn't see it that way......I thought I was just being creative :D 

I got a lot of my stuff from Cornwall Model Boats - Static display and radio control model boat kits including period wooden model ships.Model Ship fittings, Caldercraft Boats

there is a lack of life boats with this kit too........you can find them here.......just bear in mind the scale of the model,  and you will do fine ;)   I don't know of too many folks who have finished this kit.  I hope to get back to mine.  keep up the good work........and don't worry about how it looks now.   it will all come together when you finally get some paint on her  ;)    look the best when finished.......just think of it as riding on a train........miles of track and many curves along the way.   mind if I follow along?  emoticones_dibujos_popeye-el-marino1_en.PlanetaEmoticon_com.gif.b0a605e939729bc3d824537edb4145b3.gif

Hi, been reading through a few threads today on boat building/tips/what to do/what not to do etc…. All points seem valid but is also subjective to the individual?! I’ve recently got into boat building, I mean very recently - and all the posts I’ve read through I’ve seen your name a few times providing sage advice, any chance I could pick your brain? I recently purchased the Sergal Thermopylae as my introduction into boat building, I recognise it’s probably not ideal for a first timer….but I’m patient, persistent and keen to learn…. So was hoping I could shoot a few questions your way!

apologies to post owner, didn’t mean to sneak in to ask someone else a question.

Thanks in advance, 

Will

Will, being a new member please take the opportunity to introduce yourself to the MSW community. We'd all like to meet you. 

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/3-new-member-introductions/