HMS Pegasus by Richard44 - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Thanks for the likes.

Hi Spyglass,

18 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Just a teeeny point - because I remember having so much trouble with them - the " swags " under the light you have painted blue - i think they are supposed to be part of the gilt gingerbread.   They are so delicate i had to fit a small support under. 

I had great fun with these windows - i quite liked my curtains.

Those little “swags” as you called them are noted as being painted blue on the plan. However, they are basically unseen against the black background, so I’ve repainted them ochre, to match the other decorations. And yes, they are very fragile - I actually lost one due to a slightly too brisk stroke with the paintbrush. The chances of finding it were zero.

The retouched quarterlight.

P5170136.thumb.JPG.8b13a4e3b690e470a7fd959b7a413d20.JPG

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

Thanks for the likes.

The guns have been completed and installed on the deck. I have however ignored the instructions that suggest mounting only the carriages of the guns that are under the fore and quarter decks, and later gluing the barrels onto the carriages by pushing them through the gunports. I know the guns are now somewhat vulnerable to being knocked, but I’ll take that chance.

As described in a previous post, I’ve added the monogram and touchhole to the barrels, and have done both the breech rope and the train tackles, the latter being frapped. The breech ropes needed a little PVA to make them lie naturally. If I were to do this again, there is one thing I would alter - use eye-bolts instead of ring-bolts to attach the breech ropes. The latter is correct but space on the model was very cramped with the ring there - and it’s not visible anyway.

A gun ready to be installed on the deck.

P5180139.thumb.JPG.c4e7e35bd515acb16326678c7720febb.JPGP5180137.thumb.JPG.d6035d949d95f1fccc73dccc7d9d0634.JPG

Installed.

P5190144.thumb.JPG.ba6e37bac15f4a00f7a70f20a0186786.JPG

The completed deck.

P5190145.thumb.JPG.97981c0147307e83e12bedd88fe520b1.JPG

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

HMS Pegasus by Victory

6 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Nice set up on the gun rigging Richard, I bet you're pleased that repetitive and fiddly exercise has been completed.

B.E.

You're not wrong B.E.. The actual assembly of the guns was spread over several weeks, so not too bad. But getting the guns fixed on the deck was an exercise in patience. Getting the ringbolts/breech ropes in place wasn't too awkward, but those frapped train tackles.....

Anyway, the next task is the chain pumps. Then the rest of the deck furniture.

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the likes.

The chain pumps were the next task. I assembled the two-piece pumps as supplied, put them on the deck and immediately realised there was a significant problem. Specifically, the axletree was too close to the deck, so close in fact that the winches may not have had clearance over the grating over the hatch. It would have been very difficult, to say the least, for the crew to operate the winches. I measured the height of the axletree from the deck on the kit plans and it was 9mm, compared to 17mm for the same measurement on the NMM plan. So what to do. Kit bash of course, and this was going to include the aft winch which is not shown on the kit plans. The jeer bitt was also going to be moved from the front of the pins to the rear, as on the NMM plan.

I tried to modify one of the already assembled pumps, but stuffed this up, so decided to scratch build two new ones. These were based on drawings in TFFM.

The two new pumps with some embellishments compared to the kit versions. Scoring was used to simulate individual planks.

P5250151.thumb.JPG.57f87ef15455fb5ffd9c8daa591b8146.JPG

The pumps in place with wooden pillars at each end to support the winches. These were notched to fit onto the hatch coamings, and the ends rounded to fit into holes drilled through the deck. A length of brass rod was used to align the pillars and the pump.

P5260154.thumb.JPG.c9369c4bc86d8740f16199cedaf982fe.JPG

The pillars shaped and painted.

P5310155.thumb.JPG.559d3cbd80e5e4d5015857a3d9ae1470.JPG

Port and starboard done.

P5310156.thumb.JPG.24a886877f63b4653f4364a2939cde16.JPG

The axletrees and winches were made primarily of 1mm brass rod, while the actual cranks were made from some brass fittings left over from a previous kit. They just happened to be the right size after being trimmed to length. Left over brass fittings (plus wood spacers) were also used for the rhodings (bearings) that are on the pins of the main topsail sheet bitt. Epoxy was used to join the pieces, as final assembly was going to be on the deck. The various parts ready for final assembly.

P6010157.thumb.JPG.6879bde9dd97e33f37180e3067d42d9a.JPG

All complete, and yes, for those who are wondering, the winches do actually rotate.😊

P6040159.thumb.JPG.807d834ba6027f189fc86855af264b45.JPG

P6040160.thumb.JPG.d05140ec6e5c38973d4b8d396016724d.JPG

Cheers.

Edited by Richard44

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

12 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Excellent work Richard, looks great. 👍

B.E.

Thanks B.E., much appreciated.

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard, that looks really good. I finally managed to finish my second planking below the main wale and am looking at your build log among others to see how best to proceed. Do you recommend planking the inner bulwarks before doing the outer planking above the main wale? I didn't really understand your explanation regarding the cannon eyebolts.

Thanks,

starlight

Hi Starlight,

Yes, I would have planked the inner bulwarks first. Then I drilled the holes for the cannon eyebolts from the outside and through the inner bulwark. Then finished the second planking. By doing it this way, I avoided the hassle of trying to drill the holes from the inside with the drill  (pinvice, whatever) just above the deck, and in particular, not drilling all the way through the second planking. From the  outside, before the second planking, the drill hole can go all the way through; from the inside, after the second planking, the drill hole has to stop short - this can be tricky. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers 

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

17 minutes ago, ObviousNewbie said:

Excellent tip, thnx for sharing!

You're welcome.

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

• 5 weeks later...

The stove needed a chimney. The one supplied with the kit looked a bit ordinary, so a new one was made. A wooden dowel was used, cut at an angle and the two parts rejoined. The baffle plate is a section cut from the handle of a very cheap paintbrush, it just happened to be the right diameter, and the slides for it are brass wire.

This photo shows the kit supplied one and the new one.

P6050162.thumb.JPG.a5e94c5a0600f370725066c9740a56c9.JPG

The stove and its chimney.

P6050165.thumb.JPG.239e4cedba4f7ad3218798accea99135.JPG

P6050166.thumb.JPG.958e66ce0bc0729ea7ccddb53534ee3b.JPG

The false fore and quarter decks were next fixed in place. The two breast beams were thinned and their undersides curved to improve their appearance. The ladder, gratings and the capstan were added to the quarterdeck. The capstan was made using the same technique I described in Post 27 for the one on the upper deck.

P6050167.thumb.JPG.44dccf40c3903d20f7a992b9859fd488.JPG

P6060169.thumb.JPG.bce246efaa612b2a9e4b498ae4fc9d3f.JPG

P7070281.thumb.JPG.39048006672953c1517552b61e4574fa.JPG

The kit provides a skylight (the companion top) to go just aft of the gratings, but Antscherl in TFFM suggests that this was unlikely and that a clerestory cover over the hatch was more likely. So I built one using the diagram in TFFM as a guide. Good quality 1mm ply was used, the four sides were cut out, and a series of holes drilled. These holes were then opened out using square and triangular section needle files. The ply had been oriented so that the face grain ran parallel to the window frames, and splintering was thus avoided. “Glazing” was added with gloss blue photo paper as I did for the quarterlights.

The four sides and base, and glued together.

P6080171.thumb.JPG.fa90286bc52601eb4602b740e7a5bbc0.JPGP6080172.thumb.JPG.6e3985e6eb9615d715e789f7c3da5f80.JPG

The finished companion top in place. The corner of the roof looks odd, but it’s the camera angle.

P7140003.thumb.JPG.b3e1072f0abf9dda6e03ed0f555be823.JPG

Cheers

Edited by Richard44

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

I’ve started to plank the quarterdeck. All the planks, except the king plank, are tapered. None of the planks is joggled into the margin plank but but some have  hooded ends. The plank pattern is based on that given in TFFM.

The first few planks in place. I decided to cover the two scuttles at the forward edge of the deck with solid covers rather than gratings as suggested in the instructions. My reasoning was that gratings provide light and ventilation through the deck and as these scuttles are very close to the forward edge of the deck, gratings here will do little, if anything, to provide additional light and air down to the upper deck.

P7180005.thumb.JPG.ca83d4fba5f609d07ae8198afe741d42.JPG

P7180007.thumb.JPG.d05b0f77b45794924d36e47b6b9b9181.JPG

The next photos show how I marked and cut the hooded ends of the two planks that needed these. The piece of strip wood in the photos was a demo only, and not the actual plank. The margin plank (cut from some sheet) was held in place and the strip offered up. The width at the end was marked (A), and the point where the width of the strip became less than the gap between the margin plank and the already installed plank was marked (B).

P7190008.thumb.JPG.c2e1d5726f0816bf97d39e10db4b9bd9.JPG

The strip was trimmed to these two points.

P7190009.thumb.JPG.e68f989d75be22769c5471b3dc3c6159.JPG

At B, the plank was marked with a point 2mm in from the outer edge, the plank here was 5mm wide. An angled cut was made and the plank was tapered from here forwards, as shown in the photo.

P7190010.thumb.JPG.b5cef2eef90ea957959740d19d171f9d.JPG

The actual plank is shown trial fitted.

P7190011.thumb.JPG.0561434777a3f1de155fc18d7a5c30b6.JPG

The margin plank has two hooked scarph joints. The underside of the margin plank with one of the scarph joints marked out with a pen.

P7190012.thumb.JPG.827d415d646ba2a41ab2ea3f4458816a.JPG

A sharp knife was used to cut the plank into three sections.

P7190013.thumb.JPG.61dc20166d05ed9e68dc888b0ffec800.JPG

The margin plank glued in place.

P7190016.thumb.JPG.9aef1c93f6e8d2d04b0df211e2254298.JPG

Cheers

Edited by Richard44

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

5 hours ago, mehdi.bj19 said:

Hello Richard44, your planking looks great! What plans are you using for the planking that I see in the 2nd to last photo in your most recent post? I myself have been trying to plank my Fly similar to the way you are.

Thanks for the comment.

The plan I'm using as a guide comes from the books The Fully Framed Model by David Antscherl & Greg Herbert, a very complete description of Swan-class sloops. The books are available from Seawatch Books (seawatchbooks.com).

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

On 7/19/2021 at 5:54 PM, Richard44 said:

Thanks for the comment.

The plan I'm using as a guide comes from the books The Fully Framed Model by David Antscherl & Greg Herbert, a very complete description of Swan-class sloops. The books are available from Seawatch Books (seawatchbooks.com).

Cheers

Thanks Richard,

That's what I figured they were from. I know there are quite a few volumes of that series. What book is it exactly? Looking to pick one up.

12 minutes ago, mehdi.bj19 said:

I know there are quite a few volumes of that series. What book is it exactly?

Ah...., I actually don't know what book 😚. I have the original 12 part Practicum and I have no idea how this relates to the books, but one of the authors, Greg Herbert, is a member here (dvm27) and you could ask him via a pm.

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

12 hours ago, Richard44 said:

Ah...., I actually don't know what book 😚. I have the original 12 part Practicum and I have no idea how this relates to the books, but one of the authors, Greg Herbert, is a member here (dvm27) and you could ask him via a pm.

Will do! Thank you and I'll be keeping an eye on your build log, love your work!

You have a beautiful model coming together there Richard, nice attention to detail and great execution.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

On 7/22/2021 at 7:05 AM, Beef Wellington said:

You have a beautiful model coming together there Richard, nice attention to detail and great execution.

Thanks for the comment Jason, much appreciated.

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Thanks for the likes.

The planking of the quarterdeck was completed. I made one mistake - one of the hooded ends abuts the hooked scarph in the margin plank, and it shouldn’t 😖. I did think about tearing up the planking and starting again, but decided against it. Not a big deal as it’s not going to affect the build, and I can always dump a coil of rope over it later 😁.

P7210017.thumb.jpg.fd3b34f1d3b8a5c4442daac85f179966.jpg

The foredeck was then planked. Again, tapered planks, hooded ends and no joggling. The TFFM plan shows the margin plank as one continuous piece. I made this in two pieces simply to keep the grain running roughly along the length of each piece to avoid splitting. The two pieces were just butt joined and the join was located where the cathead will be and thus hide it.

P7230021.thumb.JPG.2b0956ff581ec519dcb940aabaf6b902.JPG

I did think about using the technique for tapering planks that Jason (Beef Wellington) described in his build log of HMS Jason, (link here) but I used a sharp knife and a straight edge instead.

That’s it for the moment.

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Thanks for the likes.

A very brief update of work done on the foredeck.

A breasthook and a partner for the bowsprit were added.

The topsail sheet pins were inserted through the deck and the bitt attached. I had shortened the pins of the jeer standard because of the stove beneath and glued a block beneath the deck, prior to fitting it, to take the pins. The jeer standard with the short pins was then glued in place and its bitt attached. Small cheek pieces had been fastened to the outside of all four pins and holes drilled to simulate sheaves.

Coamings for the chimney and the two steam gratings that sit above the stove were made. Instead of the gratings supplied in the kit, I bought a grating that was of a much finer mesh and used this.

P7290027.thumb.JPG.78574334f635bf19ea8f0a8fddeb6abd.JPG

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes.

A simpler binnacle than the one provided in the kit was made following advice from Blue Ensign and Greg Herbert - thanks guys.The photo shows it roughly in place on the deck.It will be finally fixed quite a bit later.

P8080033.thumb.JPG.85fb028d989dbdb16be2444016ef3761.JPG

The capping rail is made up of four laser-cut pieces that go on the fore and quarter decks, and in the waist, the instructions say to use 1.5mm thick strip here. When I offered up a section, it seemed to me to be too thick, so 1mm strip was used instead. Slots in the bulwarks for the catheads were cut before the capping rail was glued in place.

P8080028.thumb.JPG.484706218b13218e2acd430ab77c3460.JPG

P8080029.thumb.JPG.5561294ed0c5ca14ce6a60fee30fa7fd.JPG

P8080030.thumb.JPG.48f6b165f53cd72d0c6585c47a56f56c.JPG

The inboard end of the kit supplied catheads are at the  wrong angle to allow them to fit under the capping rail and sit flush on the deck. While sanding a more correct angle, I broke one of the catheads and so had to make two new ones. Holes were drilled in the outboard ends to simulate the sheaves that would be there - the instructions do not mention these, nor do they mention cutting the slot first. It would certainly be tricky to cut the slots after the capping rail was in place, which is what the instructions say. The photo shows the kit supplied cathead on the left and the new one on the right.

P7280022.thumb.JPG.009dad504de4d1670d55f321c139b605.JPG

The catheads loosely in position, they will be removed for now and fastened sometime later.

P8080032.thumb.JPG.8bc384bb36ea440ad6fd72382950976c.JPG

I have made a start on the fascia and tafferal at the stern. I prebent the tafferal then glued the fascia to it. I then added the windows to the tafferal. To ensure the PE window frames finished up flush with the outside of the tafferal, a piece of strip wood was held in position as shown in the photo.

P7290023.thumb.JPG.8352fc67373d3b3d6e408f1fd047733e.JPG

The frames were then inserted from the rear and gently pushed home against the strip. A thin bead of epoxy was run along the edges of the frames to hold them in place. As I did with the quarter lights, gloss pale blue paper was used to represent glazing of the windows. These were individually cut and a small amount of PVA used to glue them in place. 

P7290025.thumb.JPG.380d1803c6b8bbbabd9363b3665d969a.JPG

P8170034.thumb.JPG.604f71cd80e8e0ba06d79e7f730283ec.JPG

The next job will be to do something about the very obvious gap under the lower, outboard ends of the tafferal.

Cheers

Edited by Richard44

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

22 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

It's one of those 'time to bite the bullet moments' in a build.

Yes, I agree. I actually made the two quarter pieces this afternoon, and have glued them in place. I'll look at them tomorrow and if they look OK, that'll be great, otherwise off they'll come and I'll have another go. All good fun 🙂.

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Thanks for the likes.

A short update.

The gap under the outboard end of the tafferal will be filled with a quarter piece, which will extend down to the wale. It’s a complex shape as it has to blend with the counter, be shaped to suit the PE decoration which will adorn it and taper to nothing at the wale. The photo shows the two quarter pieces after shaping. Each is about 25mm long and is laminated simply because I didn’t have a suitably sized piece of wood - they are to be painted.

P8170035.thumb.JPG.6515866a7d8ec5eb025b26b6de3aa688.JPG

Two photos showing the piece in place.

P8200036.thumb.JPG.e8ee4c7e940c7e6c8a41a0ed88355008.JPG

P8200037.thumb.JPG.be98eda1b6a4141bd070ac22062c3289.JPG

I didn’t like the rather ugly box (on the left in the photo) that was provided as the cover over the rudder head, so I made a new, smaller, octagonal one.

P7120285.thumb.JPG.96fcc9c143d881b8ac8b12087aaa140e.JPG

In doing so, I freed up enough room between the rudder head and the transom to install an ensign staff, following the description in TFFM. The staff apparently has two small sheaves in the cap, so I’ve assumed two halliards would be present and I’ve added two cleats on the transom for them. I also made a new tiller and attached two small rings at its end with a simulated iron band.

P8210041.thumb.JPG.1b18ddde6d4e1c2c7d56773e62289d60.JPG

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Thanks for the likes.

The kit supplies gangways which extend from the quarterdeck forward for a short distance. I decided to follow TFFM and add gangboards which will run from the end of the gangways to the foredeck. There are several consequences to this decision - the gangways have to be raised a few mm so that they are very slightly above the level of the cap rail in the waist, the two ladders leading from the upper deck to the foredeck are no longer required, there is no mention in TFFM of hammock cranes along the cap rail in the waist so these will be omitted, and there are stanchions along the waist cap rail now with a rough tree rail on top.

The photo shows the supplied ply gangway held in place as per the instructions.

P8230043.thumb.JPG.93b968a648529092d5b4e66723f6a08f.JPG

The gangway needed to be raised, which required trimming of the aft end so that it would fit flush against the quarterdeck breast beam rather than being below it. The ply also needs to be faced with planks. If I’d used the ply, I would have had to hide it’s exposed edge, so rather than do this, I made new gangways of edge joined planks. I didn’t think that simple edge gluing of the gangway against the bulwark was going to work very well, especially as the gangway is supposed to be slightly higher than the cap rail, so I added two blocks on the underside of the gangway to give a much larger gluing area. The photo shows the new gangways, trimmed to fit, with the knee and blocks. Only one knee is shown in TFFM, not the two supplied in the kit.

P8240044.thumb.JPG.e6fc96cdb8c572cbf7740e455eac397b.JPG

The new gangways in place.

P8240045.thumb.JPG.59e4a987dfcd2c31f00830f5ca3c9ab5.JPG

The gangboards were made by edge gluing two, pre-bent, planks together. Four knees are supposed to support the gangboards, but in spite of several attempts,I couldn’t get these in place, so resorted to Plan B - gluing small blocks along the edge of the boards and then gluing the boards to the bulwarks. Fixing the knees in place would have been very easy if I had planned on adding the gangboards early in the build. The blocks are not visible, and I don’t think the knees would have been either.

P8250047.thumb.JPG.b87fa6157fe91acceedb61a06b65f6e6.JPG

So, the gangways/gangboards are in place.

P8270048.thumb.JPG.b3fc2b5eaade5e10408aabd941c8da86.JPG

P8270049.thumb.JPG.1c2b21a8db392220730e88a137da9770.JPG

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Thanks for the likes.

The quarterdeck breastwork was the next thing to be done. This proved to be an exercise in frustration. There are three rails, the lower glued to the deck, the middle separated from the lower by square posts and the upper separated from the middle by turned pillars. The first part was easy as the lower and middle rails had square holes cut into them and the posts simply slotted home. The two outside posts were glued in place in the lower rail first, then the middle rail was glued to these, using blocks to keep the distance apart correct. The remaining posts were then glued in place, again using blocks to ensure correct distancing of the two rails.

P8270052.thumb.JPG.29356b2920bfc2a87b719baeb33b528d.JPG

P8270054.thumb.JPG.d0bd3869b9470e8142752f679f6ec559.JPG

Gluing the pillars to the middle and upper rails was the frustrating part. As the pillars had to be vertical, and the rails were curved to match the deck, their tops and bottoms had to be carefully sanded to allow this. There were no holes to locate the pillars, they sat flush on the middle rail and the upper rail sat flush on them. To make things a little easier, the upper rail was prebent using a plank bender. Still, clamping this lot together while glue dried was not possible. So five minute epoxy was used with gentle finger pressure holding everything in place. Success occurred after several attempts. The middle rail curves around to lie above the gangways, with support being a newel post at the end. As I had modified the gangways, the supplied post was far too big. Fortunately, there were several spare turned pillars and as luck would have it, they were exactly the right height to be used here.

The completed breastwork.

P9010059.thumb.JPG.b5f0d649fc885931133bbd0c284d9b33.JPG

I then tackled the belfry and modified the kit version to better resemble that shown in TFFM. The continuous rails each side of the actual belfry were trimmed and new cradles made. These will support one end of the spare spars, their other ends lying on the gallows. The photo shows the modified belfry (the small white patch is an iron reinforcing band, it will of course be painted) and the diagram of the kit version.

P8270053.thumb.JPG.27f656fcca267a117954e392cf16542b.JPG

The completed belfry.

P9010060.thumb.JPG.b507b91f81e3c66074ca0d01b2431b42.JPG

Although not obvious, the roof over the belfry is covered with lead (as per TFFM) - actual lead too, a piece of very flattened solder. Cleats were added to the belfry.

A dowel in place showing how the spare spars will be carried.

P9010061.thumb.JPG.783c99ee83e7917d362cfa3ffd897d7e.JPG

Cheers

Edited by Richard44

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory