Atlantic by closehaul - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1:96 Scale

I started the running rigging for the downhauls (1st photo) for the staysail, jib sail and jib topsail starting at the belaying pin, reeving the line through each block made fast to the bowsprit with 26 gauge brass wire then through each block fixed to the fore top mast and down to and belayed on the fife rail (for the jib top sail only) and port and starboard bitts aft of the foremast for the staysail and jib sail downhauls. Next the lines for the peak halliards (2nd photo) were belayed at the starboard bitt aft the mast through an eye under the fife rail then relayed up and reeved between the 3 single blocks at the mast and the two bridle single blocks on the gaff then down to and belayed on the fife rail. The throat halliard is belayed on the port bitt and is reeved through triple and double blocks vertically up the mast and down to the fife rail. The topsail sheet starts and ends at the fife rail and reeved through holes (to simulate sheaves) drilled at the tips of the gaff and topmast. The third photo shows the fore boom sheet, outhaul and topping lift. Note that the vertical line running between tips of the boom and gaff is not an existing line. I put it there to indicate the leach of the sail as a suggested option in the instructions.

55E6FDA6-0098-4744-96E3-CC109767BB29.jpeg

2A68B2A4-CBC7-4527-8EBC-57821532C2A2.jpeg

FDA7C3E8-21AA-4DC1-988E-8B8229BDAA26.jpeg

Completed builds - Atlantic

• 2 weeks later...

The running rigging has been completed (bottom photo) on the main and mizzen masts which are identical to the foremast from the previous post except for the mizzen sheet which is configured with heavier blocks and bitts for the spanker's large sail displacement (top photo). I failed to mention that the main deck furniture has been affixed in its place per the sail plan as each masts' entire rigging from the forward companionway back to the main cabin has been completed. There remains only the ships' boats flags, pennants and rope coils to be done before Atlantic is off the blocks.

655E0A4D-9315-4287-8044-7D228DC25103.jpeg

A5D7F118-1343-47BE-8420-2152E4ECC5FD.jpeg

Edited by closehaul

What a fantastic job you are doing on this beautiful model, closehaul!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 6/13/2021 at 1:12 PM, BobG said:

What a fantastic job you are doing on this beautiful model, closehaul!

Thank you Bob for the accolades and the encouragement you’ve given me throughout the build and all others out there who’ve been commenting and reacting to the build of Atlantic.

I started the rope coils on an improvised jig for six flemish hands and  24 draping coils at a time. All coils must first have a drop of CA glue to harden the polyester line for cutting then dabbed with white glue mix to hold them to form. The flemish hand coil laid nicely on the main deck using the white glue mix to secure it in place. Once the CA hardens completely on the line between each draping coil (bottom photo) they will be severed then wrapped around their waist with a couple loops tied off and coated with white glue mix. When it drys the top pins on the jig can easily be pulled out and the coil can be placed onboard its pin.  We'll see if this works out as good as it did for the Flemish hands in the next post.

889404B6-0F1C-4AD9-8F40-BB065D9C213C.jpeg

BA7C2D13-AAFB-4ADA-B719-194AD71CD4C6.jpeg

FF9A28A5-8785-4254-B810-32C6509F24DD.jpeg

93E6F518-B8D2-4B51-890D-3D06D5B568CB.jpeg

07F054CF-A1D9-4C7A-B9D4-86332F96CDBE.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Things were delayed on Atlantic with the holiday, out of town family and a new puppy (Buster) around the household. Rope coils have all been made fast upon the belaying pins and flemish hand coils to the deck. One note on making the coils with the polyester line is that every cut and trim required CA glue which slowed the process down. Surprisingly though the 50/50 mix of white glue & water kept every coil from unraveling yet pliable when hanging them from pins. The one problem I had with the hanging coils was tying off the line around the waist and binding the coil loops. I was only able to manage a few and the rest have to hang on the pins in an un-seaman like manner but I can live with this.

3A2ADF9C-998A-4023-BD63-914CC2D50E74.jpeg

204DCB36-20D7-4239-935D-8F3064B6AAD7.jpeg

35D42634-1FCD-4D12-8F94-6B11FBDDAD4A.jpeg

EB8D7A73-431B-44A3-8800-EF81311F19B6.jpeg

5 hours ago, closehaul said:

a new puppy (Buster) around the household.

We need a photo of that new pup!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

1 hour ago, closehaul said:

Meet Buster!

He's adorable! What kind of dog is he?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

The first five photos are the final assembly steps. Atlantics' motor launch and owner's gig aft of the main mast on their davits and her jolly boats the fore of it. The second photo is the anchor tackle and davit. The third, masthead pennants and the  US yachting ensign off the mizzen gaff. The stern and bow decals; the fourth and fifth photo. The final ten shots are of  Atlantic finished, the last two photos in her display case and moored snug in the living room.

Atlantic was the challenge I needed while sheltered in during the pandemic and proved to be that and more. Even with all the inconsistencies that made me quite aware of my skill level, I couldn't be any prouder to display her as the centerpiece in the main salon. Most of all my acknowledgements to the Admiral for her provision of time, working space, and listening to my frustrations and profanities during the build, her critiques exceeded only by her encouragement, patience and graciousness. Also In the encouragement department my appreciation to Bob G on his supportive comments to my own doubts and the contributions from his build of PenDuick.  Nic of Bluejacket Shipcrafters whose advise and remedial input were indispensable, and everyone else who reacted and commented on Atlantics' build. Finally to modelshipworld which made it possible to acquire new modeling skills through their extensive data base. My next Build will be the schooner America in the same scale as Atlantic starting around late fall. Ciao Everyone!

79966B5C-5CD8-4481-9314-1C3E9751BD9C.jpeg

C2413904-01BE-451A-9F89-1F2CEB184541.jpeg

BF8CF6F4-DC8C-4E91-B47A-83F8B2F0D82A.jpeg

33D63F54-E90F-49AA-ADDE-7D450619F5C1.jpeg

266485E6-CAFA-44C4-9268-123AB32E0762.jpeg

9B1F0E1E-02F7-4CA2-A69C-7D9CADC40DB9.jpeg

54947388-2256-42EF-BB52-E6A6545224A6.jpeg

3BDFBE03-826C-436D-8338-F2686EC3A038.jpeg

8E335818-29BD-4892-9FF3-4204F59921D4.jpeg

740AA275-BBBE-412F-B2F9-179DD9820B65.jpeg

C33A4085-8DAB-479D-9BDF-B61E88B85987.jpeg

3878CF01-3E07-4D3C-9AC8-B0E1A82986D6.jpeg

86A1AD9D-9332-4584-B532-928313641B31.jpeg

87E429F8-4DBD-4E4B-BA82-7D6B25D6A370.jpeg

F4D028E5-ACE4-433E-B64E-621BD787E689.jpeg

A6DF4359-86F7-4007-A8FE-F2D0098D5724.jpeg

On 7/18/2021 at 1:29 PM, gsdpic said:

Congratulations on completing this fine build!  You certainly deserve to be, and have every reason to be, proud of this accomplishment!

Thank you Gary. Your build of the schooner America concurrent with Atlantic was motivating especially when I was hung up on the anchor placement.

-Ange

Edited by closehaul
poor composition

Very nice job!

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Very nice model.  Congratulations on completing this fine build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Congrats on a wonderful build! It's probably safe to assume that you spent more time building this model than the yacht owners ever spent onboard the real thing.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

14 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Very nice model.  Congratulations on completing this fine build.

Thank you Ryland for the compliment. The basic reason I choose Atlantic for a build was the aesthetic form of her hull.

Regards, Ange

Edited by closehaul

35 minutes ago, schooner said:

Congrats on a wonderful build! It's probably safe to assume that you spent more time building this model than the yacht owners ever spent onboard the real thing.

I appreciate the compliment Tim. I actually thought Atlantic would be finished before spring not mid summer. 

Thank you, Ange

Edited by closehaul

Congratulations, closehaul! She's absolutely beautiful and your excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail is clearly on display now. The sleek lines of the Atlantic with her 3 masts are wonderful. It's one of my favorite models which just may have to be on my ever lengthening wish list. I look forward to your build of the America which is another sailing ship that I love as well. Have you decided which America model you will be building? 

Thank you for your kind words also. My Pen Duick has been on pause for far too long but I am determined to finish her.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

4 hours ago, BobG said:

Congratulations, closehaul! She's absolutely beautiful and your excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail is clearly on display now. The sleek lines of the Atlantic with her 3 masts are wonderful. It's one of my favorite models which just may have to be on my ever lengthening wish list. I look forward to your build of the America which is another sailing ship that I love as well. Have you decided which America model you will be building? 

Thank you for your kind words also. My Pen Duick has been on pause for far too long but I am determined to finish her.

Thank you Bob for the compliments and also your encouragement throughout the build of Atlantic. The Bluejacket America kit that arrived a couple days ago is the 1/8" scale model. My choice of this scale is two fold. First, I like to have a famous schooner in the same scale as Atlantic for comparative display. Second and more importantly is the fact I had never assembled a plank and frame (or bulkhead) hull before. Bluejacket rates the 1/8" model as requiring less experience than the larger 1/4" scale America which will facilitate my novice level for the plank and frame hull assembly. After I have cut my teeth on America, my long range aspiration is for a larger plank and frame vessel, possibly a warship. 

Ciao Bob! -Ange

Edited by closehaul
poor composition

1 hour ago, TBlack said:

I read the first entry of your log; the trepidation comes through pretty clearly. You did it! And she looks beautiful! Stick your chest out, big guy!

Tom

Thank you Tom. When I first opened the box and seen all those tiny parts Got a lump in my throat the size of an apple. Persistence was the key from there on out.

-Ange

22 hours ago, PRS said:

Man those rope coils look fantastic!

the pup looks sweet too :)

Thank you PRS. The flemish hand coils laying on deck were a joy to do. Buster and I have become thick as thieves.

Regards -Ange

Edited by closehaul

2 hours ago, bhermann said:

She is a beauty and belongs where she is, proudly displayed as the center of attention.  Looking forward to your next journey with America!

Bob

I’m grateful for you compliment and interest in my next build of America this fall.

-Ange

Ange, I'm sorry to have missed your log but wow, what a beautiful model!  Fantastic job!  Love the display case too.

Can I ask - did you use dry transfer letters for the name?  The lettering looks perfect!  I'm trying to figure out what to do on my Charles Morgan but the name is so long that I worry about having the letters oriented the same/right way.  

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)