So I’ve perused the site and found great info.  I went to hobby lobby today looking for wood and did find some.  However I want good wood, different types specifically for model building.  None of the local model shops I’ve found in Arlington VA carry wood model material so I’m hoping some of you can help me.  I’m looking for online or local resources for wood specific to modeling.  I do not have any power tools specific for wood working except a drill so precut temper for decking and such is wanted.  Thanks. 

Try some of the sponsors such as Model Expo. Also Historic Ships although check their shipping costs and Modelers Central which is in Australia but they ship worldwide and have good quality material and good service. This should get you started. 

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Here's the topic with tons of sources.  It's the first pinned topic in this sub-forum.    Now do be aware that not all place sell dimenstioned wood and many of the species we use aren't available or are pretty pricey like boxwood.  I'm still looking for one particular wood myself and haven't found a supplier either because they don't carry it any more or will only sell in huge railroad tie size chunks.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Far be it from me to rain on anybody's parade, but...

There are a very few specialty suppliers that do sell finish-quality dimensioned scale lumber and they are becoming fewer every day. The economics of the business are such that the market really isn't sufficiently strong for anybody to be supplying dimensioned scale lumber in any species other than balsa or basswood and perhaps thin birch plywood, none of which are prime finish woods for modeling. Add to that problem the fact that there aren't a lot of straight lines on a ship and the reality becomes apparent: those who are working with fine woods aren't buying their wood pre-milled. If you're lucky, you may find some cherry stripwood, but that's about it. Everything you see used by the really good modelers on the forum is being milled from larger billets by the modelers themselves. The silver lining to this cloud is that there's a lot of very interesting and suitable wood out there that's going for amazingly inexpensive prices because nobody wants to mill it commercially. A modeler doesn't have to limit themselves to boxwood or pear, although it's very nice if one can afford caviar. The municipal dump piles are full of exotic species in sizes one can throw in the trunk of the car for free, if you mill it yourself.  That does require an investment in power tools. Sometimes a local cabinet shop will oblige on a custom order basis. Other times the local trade school wood shop ma be open for adult school projects and tools are available there. Bottom line, though, if you are looking for fine woodworking species suitable for modeling, you will have to mill it yourself these days and that will require more than a drill. 

Edited by Bob Cleek

• 3 months later...

I don’t know about local cabinet shops but small “woodpecker” sawmills are often very reluctant to saw wood of unknown origin because of the possibility of embedded foreign metal.  Guys that I have talked to have told me that “If I hit metal while sawing your lumber you just bought a very expensive blade.”

If you can’t or don’t want to invest in your own equipment, you’re better off buying a kit from a quality manufacturer that provides quality wood.

Roger