Dining Room Table!

Neil10

I'm a new member about to start on my first project. My home is Vancouver BC where I have a decent workshop with most of the usual power tools but I plan to build the model over the winter during an extended vacation in Europe with my wife's family. Its apartment accommodation over there so the dining room table will be my new workshop. I must break this gently to the Admiral - although there is a hospital nearby. I'm assembling small tools and supplies to take with me because I already have many of these at home and I know where to source others. My plan is the build two shallow work trays before I go to serve as bench tops on the table. One will have a home made vise to hold the model. The idea is that one tray can be inverted and bolted to the other through the edge strips to form a shallow box that can fit inside a suitcase and carry my supplies. Wish me luck.

My first project will be Mare Nostrum, a kit by Artesania Latina.  Chosen because it's designed for beginners and is well documented on this site. I've already started a build log even though the kit has not yet even been ordered. I enjoy online research almost as much as building things, so my first post is all about envisaged challenges. 

Neil

Welcome to MSW, Neil.  We're a great resource for advice, etc.   When you start, do a build log as it's a great way to get help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Neil

I, together with the Admins and Moderators of MSW extends a warm :sign:

We are all here to help each other when we are facing issues with our builds, this happens to all of us, regardless skills.

Build logs are our friend, a source to find help and ask for the same.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW and I look forward to seeing your 'travels with my kit' build log. Just remember to put the tools in the hold luggage!

Like you, I enjoy the archive digging as well as the time at the workbench.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome Neil, the dining room table is my only workshop. I just started my first build and I’m finding that the sanding gets messy.

Paul

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)