ok i'm seeing the size of the crew boats from Master Korabel, a bit smaller of supplied in the kit but no problem. A looot of work in very small size, i think your boats will be more tricky than the Terror. I need to think about it, very nice boats but i'm not sure about my capabilities... 🤨 

best regards !!

UPDATE:

i'm seeing the photos of Keith S, with the master korabel boat above the Terror, i want it!!! i'll try to find it in Spain 🤣🤣 

• 2 weeks later...

The process continues. I have added the strakes (ice bumpers) to the hull. A lot of sanding. Fortunately we had a spell of good weather and was able to use my dremel outside. I hope that next week I can do the same for the prop enclosure. I painted the inside of the bulwarks Admiralty yellow as suggested one of the build logs. Certainly better than the blood red used on ships of war.

My friend who is a mechanical engineer is eager to find out how they attached the propeller and how it was  removed and reinstalled at sea. He has been unable to find any details yet on the mechanisms used.

The little ships boats are a serious challenge. The parts a tiny and fragile. The instructions and build method are probably unique, but the whole build is fun if your eyesight is good, you have fine tweezers and your hands do not shake too much.

DB

IMG_0694 Edited-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues. I had a lot of trouble fitting the stern post, not too certain why, but it is attached and lined up properly. The black stain has been applied and I am beginning to add the deck rails. Of course in the mean time I built a new desktop computer which took a fair amount of time.  Next steps, finish installing the deck rails, paint the ice bumper ( I'm sure there is a better term for that), Start on the deck furniture and source 8mm and 7mm dowels for the main and fore masts.

I read comments here, I think from "clearwater" that the kit masts were not the correct size and the the masts were strapped with iron bands not rope. Is there any data on the position and size of those type of mast reinforcement?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DB

IMG_0550.jpg

Hi Broden- still looking into the mast bands so still not 100%- saying that there is still so much to do on mine it will be a while till i seriously need to apply some grey matter on the subject.

Keith

On 10/14/2020 at 3:43 AM, clearway said:

Hi Broden- still looking into the mast bands so still not 100%- saying that there is still so much to do on mine it will be a while till i seriously need to apply some grey matter on the subject.

Keith

Hey Keith,

Just stumbled across a .pdf file related to the SS Great Britian that has a good deal of detail of deck fittings including historical stuff. It might be of some value for your research. Here is a link:

https://www.ssgreatbritain.org/sites/default/files/kcfinder/files/C Fittings.pdf

DB

13 minutes ago, broden said:

Hey Keith,

Just stumbled across a .pdf file related to the SS Great Britian that has a good deal of detail of deck fittings including historical stuff. It might be of some value for your research. Here is a link:

https://www.ssgreatbritain.org/sites/default/files/kcfinder/files/C Fittings.pdf

DB

Actually here is a link to the whole manual.

https://www.ssgreatbritain.org/brunel-institute/manual-maritime-curatorship

DB

On 10/14/2020 at 3:43 AM, clearway said:

Keith

5 hours ago, clearway said:

Ty Broden, i think terror did not have made/ composite masts which means the bands would only be needed to hold the cheeks each side of the masts. 

Keith

Hi clearway, So HMS Terror mast should be fitted with rope bindings as shown in the OcCre plans.

As I have said this is my first wood ship model and I am learning and watching what other more experienced modelers are doing.

Thanks for the heads up, it is appreciated.

DB

ps I am still getting "Keith" and "Keith S" mixed up.