HMS Terror by Broden - OcCre - 1:75

Changing the ships wheels to finer scale 10 spoke makes a big difference to the look, I used brass kits from caldercraft which was interesting making them look like varnished wood,  the other Keith used the wooden type which will be easier to varnish/ stain.

Keith

• 5 months later...

The ship yard is again open. I had an open heart aortic valve replacement at the end of April and did not get back to HMS Terror until a few weeks ago.

The model has been on my mind throughout the recovery process. I have assembled the forward catheads, but not mounted them yet and have spent the last several sessions shaping the components of the Syrenshipmodel helm wheel kit then assembling the first of 2 ten spoke wheels.

The spokes were a challenge. The suggestion to turn them in a Dremel  drill did not work out for me. I found it near impossible to center to tiny spokes in the Dremel chuck. I have a full size wood lathe, but all the chucks I have are way too big the handle wood of that size. I ended up manually shaping the spokes using the Dremel as a hand sized mandrel.

I spent some time today shaping the assembled wheel and will post pictures when it is cleaned up.

IMG_0757 Edited.jpg

IMG_0759 Edited.jpg

IMG_0761 Edited.jpg

I have also been playing around with a set up to photograph bit and pieces and to get real close up images. Here are a few photos of the camera and stand with a couple of detail shots.

IMG_0697-2 Edited.jpg

IMG_0774 Edited.jpg

IMG_0778 Edited.jpg

Edited by broden
Add images

Glad to hear you are back with us, take care of yourself.

Terror is looking good, mind if I watch?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

welcome back to the terror club and hope the recovery continues well.                                                                                                                                                       Keith

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I am still working "slowly" on the deck furnishings and have 2 questions. First the location of the ship's bell. OCCre has it aft of the fore mast and forward of the windlass. It seems to me that normally it would be near the helm. Second question is there no binnacle, or have I missed something. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Thanks, Clearway.

I went back over your build log and I agree that the lack of a binnacle is strange and that the unit you suggested is a possible reason. I also saw on the admiralty drawings that in fact the bell is in fact forward of the windlass and aft of the foremast. So questions answered and the slow build continues. I purchased a windlass, pump and capstan kits by Master Korabel. All of which are challenging and very detailed. I'll post pictures.

• 2 weeks later...