Glory of the Seas medium clipper 1869 by rwiederrich - 1/96

Looks great Rob, a really nice job.

WRT the the colour on the bottom, this was more to hide the build up of grime etc (from swabin' the decks etc) rather than hide an woodwork etc.   As such they tended to be a darker colour to achieve this.

cheers

Pat

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

House in place.  

Rob

6FDA0F9D-7707-437F-AE19-89D7CEEE40FB.jpeg

3552CF68-7CBC-45E2-B3E3-7B4F1DE48816.jpeg

D9C32CE6-6E09-476B-930D-04EA52A7E899.jpeg

B966A106-27F1-4B42-B87F-D7D822E88DFF.jpeg

Rob, I showed these pics of your latest construction to my wife. Peggy was in awe and simply said "Oh my God, that's beautiful!" I couldn't agree with her any more. 

I particularly like the corner brackets which really ties it all together nicely.

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

WRT the the colour on the bottom, this was more to hide the build up of grime etc (from swabin' the decks etc) rather than hide an woodwork etc.   As such they tended to be a darker colour to achieve this.

cheers

Pat

Rob, what Pat said makes total sense. It also explains why all structures had the same double molding painted the same blue. A few months ago I found an 1800s Era mirror supposedly with correct original blue. It's definitely a darker shade. Again I'm not suggesting any changes be made to your current color choices which I really like. I just thought you might appreciate seeing this.

primitive-folk-art-mirror-early_1_b464f87be5d42320b256c8846d52d073.jpg

11 hours ago, BANYAN said:

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat.

Yes I've read about that practice......plus the constant shuffle through the doors made a real scuff.

Rob

10 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, I showed these pics of your latest construction to my wife. Peggy was in awe and simply said "Oh my God, that's beautiful!" I couldn't agree with her any more. 

I particularly like the corner brackets which really ties it all together nicely.

Rob, what Pat said makes total sense. It also explains why all structures had the same double molding painted the same blue. A few months ago I found an 1800s Era mirror supposedly with correct original blue. It's definitely a darker shade. Again I'm not suggesting any changes be made to your current color choices which I really like. I just thought you might appreciate seeing this.

primitive-folk-art-mirror-early_1_b464f87be5d42320b256c8846d52d073.jpg

Thanks Rich and tell your wife thanks as well.

The corner brackets took some doing, since they are roughly only 3/8ish in length and have ample carving relief on them.

The windows are all made from hand cut parts.....crown, sides and sashes.  The windows are roughly 3/8 in height as well.  And don't talk to me about the doors...they consist of way too many parts.

I opted on the color blue that I did, solely based on age represented.....limited photographic evidence, and preference.

I struggled with the idea of sucha dark blue.  It seamed so un characteristic of the simple color schemes typical of clippers.   Though some extreme color combinations have been written about.

I'm also striving to retain what I gather as the colors of her after her major refits and good weathered use.

The image of her from astern with one of her cabin boys, demonstrates the extreme weathering she saw....by way of paint chipping and scuffing.

It is clearly evident on her cabin doors and walls.....not to mention her boats.   And this was in her heyday. 

Rob

4 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

my goodness thats beyond beautiful Rob. Hat off sir. 

Thanks Vlad.  It took a couple of hours of focused uninterrupted work.

I just hope all that detail will be able to be seen and appreciated after the boys house, gangway and boat skid are added.

Rob

36 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

Thanks Rich and tell your wife thanks as well.

The corner brackets took some doing, since they are roughly only 3/8ish in length and have ample carving relief on them.

The windows are all made from hand cut parts.....crown, sides and sashes.  The windows are roughly 3/8 in height as well.  And don't talk to me about the doors...they consist of way too many parts.

I opted on the color blue that I did, solely based on age represented.....limited photographic evidence, and preference.

I struggled with the idea of sucha dark blue.  It seamed so un characteristic of the simple color schemes typical of clippers.   Though some extreme color combinations have been written about.

I'm also striving to retain what I gather as the colors of her after her major refits and good weathered use.

The image of her from astern with one of her cabin boys, demonstrates the extreme weathering she saw....by way of paint chipping and scuffing.

It is clearly evident on her cabin doors and walls.....not to mention her boats.   And this was in her heyday. 

Rob

Rob, your results speak for themselves. After having collaborated with you, Vlad and others who have participated in this fascinating journey, I have no doubt that absolute fealty to authenticity and accuracy is your North Star in your miniature recreation. I highly doubt that anyone will fault a color choice when your vessel is complete.

38 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

I just hope all that detail will be able to be seen and appreciated after the boys house, gangway and boat skid are added.

Rob

Rob, as a teenager I had the distinct priviledge of spending hours visiting a fantastic, incredibly powerful miniature city in Amsterdam, Holland called "Maudorodam." One of the most exciting discoveries in this magical fantasyland was the phenomenal detail in every "nook and cranny" of the place.

I'm just as sure that observers will also notice the beautiful details you've built into your replica as well.

6 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Rob

it sure will be . Spare  some strength for long cabin - thats madness i can tell you already as im digging into it..... suddenly captain cabin looks quite simple to me...:) my gosh....