Jump to content

Glory of the Seas medium clipper 1869 by rwiederrich - 1/96


Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob,

Beautiful work, as usual. You are indeed a veritable machine, with very predictably consistent results. I'm actually surprised at the rather large size of the Boy's House. From its appearance, my guess is that this was most likely 18 foot square. 

As far as deck structures are concerned, the improvised walkway between the Rear Carriage and Boy's House with its attendant spindles is probably the most intricate and fascinating. It's a tribute to the inventive cleverness of the Ship's Captain, her Carpenter and Crew. This will be fun to watch develop under your highly skilled hands.

Actually the boys house is smaller.   It’s 16x16 not 18

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dowmer said:

Rob, any chance we can get you to explain a “How to” on the windows?  For the small scale they are wonderfully executed, sharp and clean. Especially how do you make/install the muntin dividers and frames?

I have a collection of model railroad building construction supplies.  I just modify stuff to work and I used scale lumber for tiny stuff. 
 

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2021 at 8:20 PM, rwiederrich said:

Placing the bumkins.  
 

Rob

AECDABC0-2FB9-4CA6-BC93-6C79A831A357.jpeg

E18F5CD7-3445-4680-AFF3-B6F1C27AD5CC.jpeg

28E13FB0-E8EF-400E-9390-26CF39FC8161.jpeg

26EF2323-87CD-4B27-A7DF-AD899C006A9A.jpeg

A8F210E3-8B57-447A-AB03-D51B82A3EF01.jpeg

B043873A-B971-4CA6-ADC7-3367A02658B4.jpeg

Hi Rob. Are the windows with the two panes and the three wooden sections next to them meant to be sliding shutters?

 

I ask, because the Fish has a 8 of them, but the plans suggest that the sliding shutters are arranged as three vertical slats rather than horizontal. Is that something that varied ship to ship or time to time? Or no one really knows, so do your best?

 

Love the work, looking fabulous!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

I began to build the main fife rail and another over head shot. 
 

Rob

FB662467-56C8-4CEB-A236-D63ED8FD66D8.jpeg

EFA8D09C-A4F5-45B3-B9EF-D905C531245A.jpeg

Rob, 

The main fife rail is ruggedly impressive. You can see how solidly it was constructed. I can see why the Boy's House had to be slightly lower to accomodate level seating of the ship's boats and walkway. Your overhead scenes are my favorites as it shows the impressive beauty of McKay's final, longest lived Clipper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gak1965 said:

Hi Rob. Are the windows with the two panes and the three wooden sections next to them meant to be sliding shutters?

 

I ask, because the Fish has a 8 of them, but the plans suggest that the sliding shutters are arranged as three vertical slats rather than horizontal. Is that something that varied ship to ship or time to time? Or no one really knows, so do your best?

 

Love the work, looking fabulous!

They are meant to be shutters, slider or swing.  It is not clear what kind Glory had.  
 

Artistic license prevails. 
 

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, 

The main fife rail is ruggedly impressive. You can see how solidly it was constructed. I can see why the Boy's House had to be slightly lower to accomodate level seating of the ship's boats and walkway. Your overhead scenes are my favorites as it shows the impressive beauty of McKay's final, longest lived Clipper.

I still have to place the turned supports on the pump side.  
 

Drill out for pins too. 
 

The trick is making the boys house roof level with the carriage house so the cat walk is level to the deck.   The large skid needs to fit under the cat walk and still support the boats level.   Lots to juggle.    
 

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

I can see why the Boy's House had to be slightly lower to accomodate level seating of the ship's boats and walkway. Your overhead scenes are my favorites as it shows the impressive beauty of McKay's final, longest lived Clipper.

While I was constructing these features, it became clear that the aft overhead skid, acts as a skid for the boats as well as support for the cat walk that is over and resting on it.

 

It wasn't clear at first how these elements would interact and interface with one another.  But it is obvious to me now.  It is also obvious that the cat walk is much longer then one would suspect from trying to figure it out from the limited images we have.  It is hidden between the boats, so it really is *invisible*.

 

How it attaches to the boys house will be left up to my engineering, artistic license, since the forward boat skid needs to be accommodated.  I suspect a small step over was created to prevent accidental tripping on the roof as boys/men negotiated around these roof structures.

It will be clean and cohesive. 

 

Trying to draw from Mikes original drawings was helpful, but still proved to be problematic as far as some dimensions were concerned.  Sheer crowding and known structural dimensions limited actual, logical locations for structures.

 

Regardless of any corroboration of disinformation, I was able to *fit* everything necessary to fulfill the deck plan of Glory during her heydays.

 

 

Enjoy,

 

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

sweet progress Rob. it will be really beautifull with all miniboats in place. not speaking when she starts up with rope. 

Thanks Vlad.  The boats will be mounted upright in their boat chocks mounted on the skids and canvas covered.  Like the picture...minus the boy.

 

Rigging is still a long ways off...building the composite lower mast will precede that....

 

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rob, you're Glory construction is really beginning to highlight how every inch of space on these vessels was methodically utilized for every practical consideration. I'm amazed that the big pump wheels can even fit in. Even more fascinating will be the labyrinth of rigging once her lofty masts and yards get installed....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rob could you please post pic of stern from vertical position ? from the top. and aso turned around from bottom vertical if possible so I can see counter stern ...I do some interesting study and would be helpful i fail to find one such from vcertical directly. with masts it wont be possible anymore......Thanks V.

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, you're Glory construction is really beginning to highlight how every inch of space on these vessels was methodically utilized for every practical consideration. I'm amazed that the big pump wheels can even fit in. Even more fascinating will be the labyrinth of rigging once her lofty masts and yards get installed....

I have yet to install the pumps and wheels, but it will be tight for sure.  Long way before I get to the rigging...still so much more to do till then..

 

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Rob could you please post pic of stern from vertical position ? from the top. and aso turned around from bottom vertical if possible so I can see counter stern ...I do some interesting study and would be helpful i fail to find one such from vcertical directly. with masts it wont be possible anymore......Thanks V.

Let me get this straight<  You want a pic from the stern....looking down on the stern or aft from water level?

What in particular are you looking for...Deck structures, or hull structures?

 

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

Let me get this straight<  You want a pic from the stern....looking down on the stern or aft from water level?

What in particular are you looking for...Deck structures, or hull structures?

 

Rob

not from water level Rob, stright down from the top if possible .like if you were sitting on mizzen mast looking down .... and same exact opposite stright up from bottom hull side :) 

im doing ineteresting comparison of various Mclays ships Crothers and ours glory as well. thanks much 

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, that's a nice view of your Model's Stern viewed from above. Now "drop the other shoe" and give Rob a clear understanding for what you meant for the second one.

i meant upside down of this exact view but its not probably necessary. counter of stern is visible from other pics. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man...I got to looking at my Glory and I realized how far I've actually come.  I have a few more items to finish up and paint on the overhead skid and main fife rail and I will then begin securing all the items to the deck.

 

Once I have all the houses and furniture glued down, I can then add the catwalk(The boats will stay off during this process....cuz along with greater easy of working the catwalk...I will be finishing out the boats with paint and canvas covers...prior to their install on the skids.

 

Sitting back and looking at my progress....for the most part, I'm getting closer to getting to the stage of making the composite masts.

Of course I still need  to make the foremast fife rail and the forward access/hatchway before that time....but overall,  I've come a long way.

 

What a thrill.

 

I'm still working out her display arrangement....I'm thinking of casting a large cleat to use as the base or pedestal to rest her on.    Something really cool.

Oh well...there is still plenty of time for making a final decision on her mounting.

 

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...