I'm in the process of constructing the model of the "Amerigo Vespucci" from Mantua Models (second time). I have a couple of questions. This is the second time I'm doing this kit and decided to include the 'sail kit' (kit from Mantua)

on this build. I'm looking for advise on this process. At what point do I add the sails? To the yardarms before attaching to masts? Add sails before I do the standing rigging?  I could use some help on this process. I'm just working on the smaller boats and then the masts/yardarms/booms next. 

My second question is where can I find small scale model figurines for this ship? I think the right size would be 1". I found some when I did the "Sterling Model ---'American Scout'  a few years ago, they were just the right size. Officers in white uniform and seamen and dock workers, all painted. Can anyone recommend where I can find these figurines to compliment my model. 

I appreciate any assistance from anyone. 

Semper Paratus...........St Pete Beach Fl.

Welcome to MSW from another Floridian.   PLEASE CHANGE YOUR SCREEN NAME TO SOMETHING OTHER THAN  AN EMAIL ADDRESS AND DO NOT INCLUDE IT IN ANY POST. Members here can PM you which will go to your email.   It would be great if you posted a little introduction on the new member page and give a short CV of yourself.

Your sailors at 6 feet tall should be less than 3/4" high (0.70 inch would be about right) for 1:100 scale.   Some members may be able to help you with a source.   Ed Tosti, a member here, that authored books on Naiad and Young America made hundreds of soldiers before getting into ship modeling in a big way and when I saw his collection some years ago at his home I was in awe, so making your own is an option.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Everyone has a different way of sequencing their builds, but for me I found it easiest to attach all of the blocks, etc. to each mast and yard first while they are off the ship.  This will include foot ropes, studdingsail irons and booms, and all the other fittings on the yard.  For some of the yards I also attach some of the rigging like clew lines, halyards, jeers, brace pendants, etc..  I also attach one side of any necessary parrels to the appropriate yards.

For the sails, I attach all of the fittings and gear to the sail prior to bending the sail to the yard,  This includes bunt lines, leech lines, bow lines, sheets, tacks, uphauls, downhauls, etc. 

Bend the completed sail assembly to its yard.  Start reeving the running rigging through the appropriate leading blocks on the yard.

You now have a completely rigged sub assembly for the yard and sail ready to go on to the ship.

After I rig each section of mast with its standing rigging I hoist and cross it's yard (sometimes by actually hauling the halyard.  (This has the added benefit of teaching you just how much line is required.)  I then pass the parrels abaft the mast and fasten the other end to the yard.  Now your yard and sail are properly secured to the mast.  Continue with the running rigging by reeving through the appropriate lead blocks under the tops or mast caps, etc. Run the rigging down to the deck through the appropriate faileads, thimbles, bullseyes, etc. Belay the lines to their knights, cleats, or pins.  A caution here about belaying at this point.  If you belay the lines with the yard square and then later brace the yards around you will have to slack off some of the lines or you may pull a fitting out of the deck.  Finish off the rigging of the yard with any final elements like lifts, reef tackles, yard tackles.

Then I move on to the next mast section and repeat.

For me the benefits of masting and rigging in this fashion are

1. It is how it is done on a real ship

2. I get to set up and stay each mast section plumb and with the proper rake which provides a solid base for the next mast section above.

3. The belaying of the rigging generally tends to proceed in a logical manner with the lower sails belaying closer to the centerline or from forward to aft as appropriate.

As I said before, everyone has their own method of rigging.  You will develop a sequence that works for you.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat