Two questions... Mast and rigging related.

Hello!

Quick question...  do you assemble masts/sails/rigging off the hull, or install on the hull and then the rest of the work?  Pros/Cons of each appreciated.

Also, any good rigging tool kit available?  Or what tools do your recommend for a very nice rigging tool kit?

Thanks!

Jorge

I believe it's common to do as much as possible off the boat ..

Of course, shrouds and stays will be done on the boat, having attached as much related hardware, blocks, eyebolts etc. before mounting the masts.

Most of the rigging for the yards can be done off the boat..

There are many good examples in the build logs.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

For decades I have used the same approach as I originally started with. Even though I have seen others use a different styles. I first assemble and paint all the mast and individual spars with bands for blocks attached. Making sure each individual mast, lower and upper, are aligned correctly. After painting I add the blocks to the bands for both mast and spars. Then I attach the spars to the mast. I then will use the mast holes in the deck to secure the mast in place and work on the foot ropes for the spars. Then I attach any gaffs. When all the spars/gaffs are in place I glue the mast in the respective holes in the deck and account for rake and position of each. After they have been cemented in place I add the additional rigging. Any serving would be done offline.

A lot of individuals secure the mast one level at a time to the ship and work on the standard rigging individually. All this while attaching the running rigging to the spars and then attach the spars to the mast. Can't say much which works better since I never tried any other approach then what I described simply in the first paragraph.

The only rigging tools I use are long pins and tweezers of various types that I have collected over the years.

Scott

Jorge,

One more tool that is important.  SHARP scissors and a SHARP nail clipper to snip the Irish pennant left over once a line is tied in place.  I prefer  scissors that have a blunt end.  I was lucky to get a pair of Joewell professional hair shears at a trade show years ago for half price, and if not abused, should last my life time.  Best line cutting tool I have ever used by far.   Clippers are great, but if you have to reach into rigging at some point and snip a line, not so easy to maneuver around the lines as the clippers are short.  For off the ship work as described above, clippers are a great choice and cheap.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Forgot to mention the scissors. Preferably one that has a sheering action or slight curve to the blade although strait ones can work well. I use different types that don't even contain the manufactures names and are not so expensive. When they get dull I use them to cut wire. Trial and error may be the way unless some of the other site followers can give specific company names that work well. Some can be very pricey. Also, I don't recommend needle threaders for pulling lines through blocks or deadeyes, etc... Instead just cut the tip of the line, at an angle, and use something like supper clue to stiffen the point. Needle threaders are a pain and fragile. Just using a bit of glue works very well.  

Scott 

There's been a lot of discussion on this.  Try searching this sub-forum for "rigging" and "tools".   Many of us use surgical type tools as well as things like clothes pins to hold the rigging tight while being secured.

The other place to look is here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/17-model-tips-and-tricks-and-making-jigs/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)