King of the Mississippi by Auger - Artesania Latina - 1/80

Added some doors to the engine rooms and started planking the second deck, yeah, that's going to take a while to do.

LittleDoors.jpg

1stDeckRooms.jpg

2nd Deck.jpg

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined 

9 hours ago, PeterB010 said:

Hi Auger, that's a nice and energetic start!

Count me in for a seat at the front.

Regards 

Peter

Hi Peter, welcome to the build!

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd drop in for an update; I'm still planking the second deck. Here's a photo of where I stand presently with that task. Had a few clear nights over here so I've been working on the astrophotography thing as well as building a new image processing computer for same. Divided time.

SecondDeck.jpg

Before installing the 2nd deck, I thought it would be a good time to add some precious cargo while access was easy:

Yeah, I know, the alfalfa looks more like celery, but I think under the second deck, in the dark, it'll look alright. I stole some Timothy hay from my rabbit and diced it up.

PreciousCargo.jpg

PreciousCargo2.jpg

21 hours ago, Auger said:

I stole some Timothy hay from my rabbit and diced it up

Are you going steal and dice up anything else from the rabbits as well? Realism, you know.

8 hours ago, Cathead said:

Are you going steal and dice up anything else from the rabbits as well? Realism, you know.

Ha-haha... took me a minute. Actually, that’s not a bad idea, but I’m going to keep it clean.

Trying to keep it tight. This is going to have to sit overnight, or maybe a bit longer. I really don't want things to go, *POP!*.

I love my box of rubber bands, but sometimes the *POP* is the rubber band snapping and flying right at your face. 

Ship building is a dangerous business.

BulkheadDirections.jpg

BulkheadClamps.jpg

Building up one of the spiral staircases. I glued the center post to a piece of card stock and built the steps around it. Worked out pretty well.

SpiralStaircase.jpg

Break time. Need to let things dry a bit before going back and fixing the imperfections. Funny how a photo shows more than what you can see with the eyes. When I walked away, these looked pretty good. Looking at them here, I obviously have more work to do. 🤔

Windows.jpg

Second deck port side windows and doors installed. As you can see, I backed them with some card stock to give a more natural recessed look:

PortWindows.jpg

Today I painted a few more windows and doors, and added some shutters to the port side of the second deck:

MoreWindows.jpg

Shutters.jpg

These are actually pretty difficult to paint. I've been using a fine paint brush and a magnifying glass... and taking a lot of breaks.

Wheels.jpg

The I'm going to venture to say that this is the most difficult part of the build. I'm glad that I'm down in the dungeon and don't have kids because the expletive details that filled the air during the building of this part, well, let's just say that I need to have little a sit-down with Jesus to put a finger on one of my many faults. I guess the test here will be the building of the second staircase.

Ever seen The Christmas Story? Alfie’s father and the furnace? It was kinda like that.

StairRailing.jpg

DifficultStairs.jpg

Looking fantastic!...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

On 10/16/2020 at 8:14 PM, Cathead said:

Great progress. The colors complement each other well.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:50 PM, Moab said:

Looking fantastic!...Moab

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. 

Truth be told; the wave catch looks good, but I busted 4 of these in the making. Luckily I found a hobby store in country that stocks Constructo woods. So I had plenty on hand to improvise.

Freshly oiled in this photo and, yes, I'm a mountain bike rider (the Crank Brothers sticker).

WaveCatch.jpg

Had to fix one of the stairs. For some reason the balusters on the second set were too long and high, so I had to work some Dremel magic to right things up a bit. The penciled baluster in photo 3 is what I removed:

StairFix1.jpg

StairFix2.jpg

StairFix3.jpg

StairRailsCut.jpg

StairFix4.jpg