Keel Clamp (Home Made)

When starting my "Independence" build, I felt I needed a keel clamp. Rather than buy one, I made one from stuff I had around the shop. The clamp is made with all hardwood and a plywood base. If you use simple hardware, the whole clamp will cost less than $10. With fancy star knobs, maybe $20. The clamp is solid and versatile. Plus it is fun to build. The .pdf file includes step by step instructions with photos and detailed, measured drawings. Enjoy!

done.jpg

Doc's Keel Clamp.pdf

I took a little break from my Pride of Baltimore and made Doc's keel clamp. I shortened all of the working parts that I could, since I'm very short and as the clamp was it would have kept the ship too high to work on. Actually, it's still too high for me while sitting on my 24" shop stool. With the ship level, my eyes are at deck height which isn't too useful. I can tilt it for some tasks, others not so much. A simpler solution will be a higher adjustable stool.

I bought the kit used and partially built (bulkheads installed,rabbet cut although not deep enough) and the seller included a stationary keel clamp. I pirated the actual clamp parts for this adjustable clamp, and also used the legs of that clamp on the new one,where the upright attaches to the base. Being lazy, I did not use any screws to hold it. I think Titebond II should be strong enough.

903612495_20200831_0713121.thumb.jpg.fe769a11967665594ef3d587ef70a08c.jpg