1930 BENTLEY 4.5 LITRE by MadDogMcQ - AIRFIX 1:12th Scale

Just in case you didn't see my other post, I'll start by explaining that I stumbled upon this "Brand New In The Box" kit and just couldn't believe my luck. The box was a bit grubby but everything was intact and nothing missing as far as I could see. The original price ticket on the box is £4.65p from the Toy Shop in Leamington Spa. Amazing!

I remember building this model as a schoolkid and I'm very excited to have the opportunity to do it again. So today, I started construction even though I have not made a plastic model for over 40 years!! Well it turns that despite being a prolific Airfix kit builder as a kid, I have retained no skills 😂😂.

This build-log will be of no use to anyone, but I might as well record the build anyway. If you have any advice/tips please feel free to pile in and give me some constructive criticism.  Thanks for dropping by 👍

!aIMG-6094.jpg

!aIMG-6095.jpg

!cIMG-6099.jpg

!dIMG-6100.jpg

!eIMG-6096.jpg

28082020-01.jpg

28082020-02.jpg

28082020-03.jpg

28082020-05.jpg

28082020-05b.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

No skills?  Looks good from here.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Like Mark says, looks OK to me. Proceed slowly and keep the glue blobs to a minimum. Enjoy yourself.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

No Skills huh, I wish I didn't have skills like that!

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I remember that kit  in the Airfix catalogues  way back  (cough cough)   it was a well respected kit back then  - and now has so much potential.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

WOW! You're all way too kind. I'm winging it here. Made a few basic mistakes today but managed to recover. I'm not trying to add any "effects" or "aging" to this model - I'm just trying to get back into the swing of plastic models again. 

Anyway, I seemed to work hard today but don't feel like I got a lot done. I think it's because work was interrupted by painting (I hate waiting for paint to dry). I noticed today that one of the mudguards was split. Very strange considering the kit was unopened. I managed to use a tiny strip of metal to bind it together and stop it from spreading. 

Next up was the huge fuel tank. That was very straight forward and didn't take long at all. It could also be painted as one unit, which was good. Then it was time to do the chassis and for some weird reason, I struggled with it! It was such a simple thing but when it came to installing the engine and gearbox, it felt like the chassis was misaligned - things weren't clicking into place as they should. Anyway, I managed to sort it out eventually.

One thing that I WAS pleased with was the number-plate. It starts off as a silver plate and you have to add the black. It came out pretty good (after a few attempts) lol.

Finally, I built the wheels and rear axle (but I forgot to photograph the axle so I'll post that tomorrow). I've managed to paint all the main body panels using Tamiya's acrylic British Green aerosol. Unfortunately I only bought one can and they're pretty damned small, so I had to paint smaller odds and sods with a Humbrol BRG enamel. Luckily, the two paints are a pretty perfect match, so nothing stands out.

More tomorrow - thanks for popping by 🙂

Tom.

29082020-01.jpg

29082020-02.jpg

29082020-03.jpg

29082020-04.jpg

29082020-05.jpg

29082020-06.jpg

29082020-07.jpg

29082020-08.jpg

29082020-09.jpg

29082020-10.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

Little bit done today (been out for most of the day). I mentioned previously that there seemed something wrong with the way that parts were being mounted to the chassis - well I found out what it was today. Dumbo me had fitted the left side rear suspension point in the wrong place. I should be thankful that I found it at this point and not at the end of the build, I guess. Anyway I "deconstructed it"  and corrected my error.

After that, I carried on with the steering, front suspension and engine bulkhead, followed by the big Bentley radiator. The 40yr old decals had lost most of their ability to stick to things and they have also hardened up a bit, so instead of falling into the mesh of the radiator, it kinda stands proud. I'm not going to mess with it because I know it'll just break up and I'll be in a worse mess. The decals are also showing their age in their colour too.

I'll be honest and say that I totally cocked up the front steering 😮 because I hadn't realised which way around the front cross-member was in the instructions. The previous few images of the kit had all been upside-down, but then in the cross-member image, they decided to flip it the other way and I wasn't paying attention 🙄

Unfortunate, but hey-ho, it is what it is. I couldn't be bothered undoing my mistake, so I accepted the fact that the steering won't be working from the steering wheel (if ever it should have). Other than that (and my chassis error), I've not done bad considering the four decades of absence from modelling 😂

Thanks for popping by.

30082020-00a.jpg

30082020-00aa.jpg

30082020-01.jpg

30082020-02.jpg

30082020-03.jpg

30082020-04.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Looking great.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nice work MadDog. I don’t think anyone is going to notice your “oops” unless you point it out to them.

Wow beautiful work!  I picked up this one for the stash a few months ago and your log is going to set a high bar for me!  You may have already seen John Teresi's build log of this car, but in case you haven't, it's one of the best I've seen:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/50534-mpc-112-1930-bentley-racing-car/

Can I ask what paints/colors you are using for the metallic colors and the British racing green?  I saw Tamiya in some of your pictures, but am really impressed with the colors of the metallics you are using.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Looks good, MadDog. That is a very nice recovery.  I can promise you that the 37,000 member will keep your "oops" a secret.  :P;):P

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

16 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

......Can I ask what paints/colors you are using for the metallic colors and the British racing green?  I saw Tamiya in some of your pictures, but am really impressed with the colors of the metallics you are using.

Hi Mike, dammit, I wish you hadn't shown me that Bentley build - it's magnificent and makes me want to quit 😄 😄 

The colours I've got are...

31082020-00.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

What a crap day. Instead of getting better, I swear I'm getting worse!!

I put the main body-panels on and a few other bits and bobs, and then realised that the paint finish on the bonnet panels is far better (or more glossy) than the bodywork. How could I not have noticed that before bonding the body to the chassis?? 😲😫😫😭 Such a jackass.

Ah well, it's another lesson learned. Like I said right at the start, this was never gonna be anything special - just the first step back into modelling after a lifetime away, lol. I've come to the conclusion that beginners like me may need to buy TWO kits so that they can discover all the pitfalls on the first attempt and then maybe produce a great model on the second. Having said that, I've been doing this model from a makeshift/temporary location in the conservatory and I'm sure that things will be better when I can build my permanent modelling area in the spare room.

31082020-01.jpg

31082020-02.jpg

31082020-03.jpg

31082020-04.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

That is looking really nice  love the details.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hello, looks like I'm a bit late to the party ;) but hey you're doing great, it's looking a damn fine motor car!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

If I remember correctly from reading the various logs out there, the doors/sides of the Bentley Blower were canvas I believe.  So you captured it perfectly.  I need your kind of luck!

Thanks for the pictures of your paints - that Tamiya dull aluminum is gorgeous, I'll have to try it out.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

It's worth remembering that pre WW2 the lightest covering for all sorts of bodywork was doped linen over an ash framework. Aircraft being the height of technology. If you wanted compound curves then aluminium was the choice. Steel bodies were and still are much heavier, but are cheaper to make. Slap a coat of paint on and 'hey who cares, it looks good'.

I guess I'm going blind.  I don't see the problem.  I have seen a couple Bentley's in real life and your's fits what I've seen.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

After reading all your encouraging comments, I've looked on Google and it appears you're right - most of the finished models do have a different finish between the body and the bonnet 😮 If I were doing the model again, I'd probably try to achieve a consistent finish, but for now I'll leave it as is. Thanks.

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

A "real" Bentley showing the difference........

realbentley.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Looks to me like everyone got to it before I did... getting slow in my old age...

You've nailed the look of a properly accourtred Bentley body..... the hood (bonnet) was gloss and the body I believe was doped linen over light ply.... the best you could get for a finish on the real deal was semi-gloss/satin, it glistened rather than shined.....

Looks to me that you replicated it perfectly....

Better than I could...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Jeez, you guys are all extremely kind and polite. Thank you all 🙂

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:56 PM, MadDogMcQ said:

I have retained no skills

No skills?? Very nicely done 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 8/29/2020 at 6:32 PM, No Idea said:

Awesome!!!  I remember building this kit when I was 10 years old in 1977!!!!  I think your skills are top notch! 

I built this on my honeymoon 46 years ago. I enjoyed both. I think the children (a consequence  of marriage )played with it . Must have crashed and was a write-off. 

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Pleased to say that my Haynes Owners Workshop Manual arrived today. There's an immense amount of data and detail in it and I look forward to reading it and referring to it should I decide to do this model for a third time 🙂 If anyone wants any close-ups from the book to assist a detailed build, let me know 🙂 

!book3.jpg

!Book1.jpg

!book2.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.