1930 BENTLEY 4.5 LITRE by MadDogMcQ - AIRFIX 1:12th Scale

All lookin' good Mr MaddogMcQ......I also made this kit back in '71-72 (I was still in my teens, just so could afford the £5.5.0 just before we went decimal)....I have no idea what happened to my model...I left home and it disappeared !!!....anyway now well into building my 'new' £89.95 machine...sure is testing the grey matter and skills...the surgical scalpel is a real boon as there is so much 'flash' and bits that just don't fit on the new kit....I'd like to ask a question of anyone here...'How does the rear Axel assembly sit on the springs...I've glued mine into place but it doesn't look or feel right, just sitting on the little box mounted on the spring...looks like it should have a bracket of some sort to hold it in place...or araldite !!.....enjoyed reading your progress report...keep at it...I am !!!

On 9/25/2020 at 3:36 PM, MadDogMcQ said:

I posted pix of this model on Facebook and got over 500 likes  in one day!!! It's now over 600. Beggars belief!!

bentleylikes.jpg

LOL bet i was one of them

did you see this one by Richard England

Facebook

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 8 months later...

Hi Brian. Yes, I also built this kit as a teenager on the cusp of decimalisation.

We weren't well off back then (lucky to have a matching pair of shoes). Even though we had very little pocket money, but we saved the pennies and could regularly afford to buy these kits.

Not now it would seem; I'd shriek in horror at the thought of a teenager of mine coming home with a £100+ kit today.

We had a lot of fun back then and learned a lot. I recon I built the entire Airfix range over a 2 to 3 year period.

You'd think Airfix would have re-couped their molding costs decades ago, yet they still churn out the same old kits at premium prices, as if the kits were up to date molding technology.

Nothing like being taken for a ride in an old, old Bentley.

think of this as a multi media kit.............it would be a challenging model to build  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch