New Member from North West Wales

Guyuti

Hi,

Completely new to model ship building, I recently had to retire from work due to severe ill health and as I now have a lot of spare time confined to home I thought I would try my hand at building some wooden model ships. I spent my Youth in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and hope to one day build a model from scratch of my first ship the Fleet Refueling Vessel R.F.A. Olmeda. If i can ever find some plans. I also used to Row in Cornish Pilot Gig's and would love to build a model of one of those at some point.

I have read all of the Alexander Kent Novel's so I would like to build vessels from the 1770's up to the 1820's. working up as the books do from a sloop of war to a first rate Ship of the line.

I have no idea on what I should try first I am open to suggestions, also I would like advice on what are the best tools for a beginner to buy.

Thanks in Advance.

Guy

There's a good overview of models suitable for people just starting out at 

These generally are good quality kits with clear instructions, and not too difficult for someone new to the game. There's quite a choice here, and with a bit of luck you'll find something that floats your boat (sorry! couldn't resist).

Welcome to MSW, Guy.  Once you decide on a model, start a log as it's a great way to get help when there's a problem.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW 

Vanguard models have Alert HM Cutter if you want to go via Alexander Kent or there are several sloops, EG HMS fly, pegasus or snake from other companies.

Whatever you decide start a build log for as Mark says there'll be plenty of help and advice.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hello again, Guy. Once you've decided what model to make, it's a good idea to start a build log. The instructions on how to do that are here.

Having a build log lets the rest of us see your progress, and offer advice and encouragement as you go. And the members here are a very supportive and knowledgeable community.

Looking forward to seeing your model under way!

Welcome!  As Louie has said there are a multitude of great beginner projects out there.  A build log is a great way to keep up the momentum/enthusiasm and to ask questions and show off your work

Welcome to Model Ship World Guy.  You have been given good advice from the above comments.  I hope you find a good kit that peaks your interest,  Check out some of the first builds by members in the kit build log section.  Just click on the black tag marked "first build" and it will pull up build logs that have this tag attached to it.  Good luck on your selection.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome Guy!  You came to the right place - no shortage of good advice and encouragement around here.   As for your first build, a lot of good advice so far the only thing I would say is make sure it is something that interests you, that will keep you engaged!   Looking forward to whatever you start with!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull