I've got my hull planks on my Pride of Baltimore II (first planking attempt). Sanded the planks then added Minwax color change filler. OK, quite a bit of filler 😉. This sanded out nicely so I think I'm ready for a primer to seal the hull and to reveal any remaining defects.

What kind of primer do you folks use? A rattle can would be nice but I'm willing to brush it on if that's better. Would something like Kilz shellac primer be a good choice?

Tamiya Fine Primer in a spray can works well, goes on thin. It has fine size pigment. House paints are coarser, since they're formulated for covering parts of your 1 to 1 scale house.

Make sure to mask the vessel so you don't spray paint where you don't want it to go.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

There are great acrylic primers as well.
However, I used Rustoleum white primer on my Bluenose before airbrushing with Vallejo paint. No problem for me.
Yes, the primer gave the surface the feeling of a fine sandy beach, but after using a 400 grit sandpaper the surface was good for painting.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I already had a can of shellac based water stain primer so I gave it a try on a small, isolated part of my current ship. It went on nice and smooth,leaving a very fine sandpaper feeling surface. I hit this with some 400 grit sandpaper as Nirvana suggested,dusted it off, then applied the craft store acrylic I plan on using. The results were terrific. I think the bit of "tooth" provided by the primer actually helped the paint go on smoothly. I'll post results once I do the entire hull.