HMS Flirt by dkuehn - Vanguard Models - 1:64

I wasn't planning on doing a build log for this because I'm sort of a quick and sloppy builder and I don't see that it would be much of a benefit for the forum. There are some great builders here that create masterpieces, I am not one of them. But I need a way to procrastinate when I don't feel like working on the kit (or glue is drying) and I know this is an excellent place for information if I have any questions. So my posting of this log is for purely selfish reasons. 😀

Guess I'll get right into it. 

Pic of box, seems like a good starting place.

PXL_20200831_192327937.thumb.jpg.26e7d49af94300cdb6749edb766a9cb2.jpg

Bulkheads dry fit. (They fit excellently)

PXL_20200831_185104249.jpg

Bulkheads glued with the lower deck set inplace to make sure the bulkheads are aligned correctly. 

PXL_20200831_192153632.jpg

Now I wait for the glue to dry before I continue...

Great to see another Vanguard model being built. The more logs the merrier.

27 minutes ago, dkuehn said:

So my posting of this log is for purely selfish reasons. 😀

Nothing wrong with that. If I didn't keep a log I'd probably forget techniques from one model to the next. If others get something from the log that's great, but it's at least as much for my benefit.

Good luck

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

55 minutes ago, dkuehn said:

There are some great builders here that create masterpieces, I am not one of them.

I didn't do a build log on my first two small models either. Then I began building the Medway Longboat and got to a point where I needed help. I got a lot of encouragement to go ahead and make a build log even though I had already finished the hull. It turned out to be the best thing I could do.

Not only did I get a lot of good advice but I also got a lot of nice comments and encouragement. That motivated me to keep going especially when it got to the rigging. I had never done any rigging before. Doing the build log helped me finish the model and do a nice job on it. I wouldn't have done as well as I did without the advice and encouragement I received from other modelers.

The Flirt may be my next build once I complete the Pen Duick. I'm looking forward to following along as you build this wonderful model. Good luck! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

That looks like a very well faired hull to me, with just a tell tale line of char at the edges

Next stop the planking?

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)

Looks really nice. My only suggestions is that the stern post area looks like the thickness varies somewhat significantly from top to bottom and you may want to even that out at some point. If you don't take the first planking layer all the way to the edge there you could do it later though. (If I messed up any terminology I mean the part in the back)

26 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Looks really nice. My only suggestions is that the stern post area looks like the thickness varies somewhat significantly from top to bottom and you may want to even that out at some point. If you don't take the first planking layer all the way to the edge there you could do it later though. (If I messed up any terminology I mean the part in the back)

It got pretty thin back there. My plan is to fatten it back up with the first layer of planking. But it would be smart to keep it as even as possible during the whole process. Thanks for the advice. 

As far as terminology goes, I keep looking at the instructions to find the proper terms. 😀

I tried to even out the stern area but this material sands very easily and I don't want to get too carried away. It's not perfect, but a little better. When I have the first planking on I'll pay it some serious attention.

Also, I have soaked the bulwark patterns and have them drying in place to help form them before gluing. 

PXL_20200901_154758994.jpg

PXL_20200901_160811941.jpg

21 minutes ago, James H said:

That looks good to me. The only suggestion I'd make would be to taper that bearding in a little towards the last bulkheads, simply so the planking isn't pinched in towards the stern post.

Got to say that you're doing a great looking job of this 👍

Just to make sure I know what you're saying. Where it gets thin at the stern post area, make it more gradual rather than a harsh curve? Sort of like this picture where the shape of the red lines would be better? It's currently shaped sort of like the orange lines off to the side. 

PXL_20200901_154758994.jpg

So flatten out this area here?

PXL_20200901_143758182.jpg

And another Flirt😁

Welcome and take your time.

But most important.....enjoy!

And another thing what is very useful.....Measure twice, cut once ... And i know what l’m talking about.

Sjors

I have finished planking the lower part of the hull and now I'm working on the inside bulwark. I have not done any sanding so the hull planking looks pretty rough at the moment. Also I am in northern California and our power is shut off because of windy weather so I had to take the picture with a flash.

15996102261018993028502549074990.thumb.jpg.609a01d4482910c892a21a6cb65c497f.jpg

1599610695668731292638361243239.jpg

15996111635436058201341254336823.jpg

1 hour ago, dkuehn said:

Also I am in northern California and our power is shut off because of windy weather so I had to take the picture with a flash.

You're moving right along and she looks great.

I'm in Sacramento and I think this is the worst summer for bad air and wildfires I've ever seen here. It's feels like the whole state is on fire...tragic! The air quality today has been in the hazardous range but just improved to very unhealthy...hard to feel very good about that!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

2 hours ago, BobG said:

You're moving right along and she looks great.

I'm in Sacramento and I think this is the worst summer for bad air and wildfires I've ever seen here. It's feels like the whole state is on fire...tragic! The air quality today has been in the hazardous range but just improved to very unhealthy...hard to feel very good about that!

I can see how "very unhealthy" would be difficult to celebrate. 

My house burned down in the 2017 Tubbs fire, anything short of my current house burning down is pretty easy for me to stomach.

10 minutes ago, dkuehn said:

My house burned down in the 2017 Tubbs fire, anything short of my current house burning down is pretty easy for me to stomach.

I'm so sorry to hear that, dkuehn. So many Californians have lost everything...even their lives in the past couple of years with these tragic fires. We have friends who nearly lost their small ranch outside of Winters in the LNU fire just a couple of weeks ago. They lost some cattle and the fire burned up to their porch but, amazing, the house was spared. Most of their neighbors lost everything. God help us if these with these drought years continue. I hope things will be ok for for you.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

You're really moving along, dkuehn, and she's looking very good. The pear wood is beautiful.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

2 hours ago, dkuehn said:

It's easy to move along quickly when you're not concerned with obtaining perfection.

I need to work on that...

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Looking good! If there was an award for the fastest Flirt/Speedy build you'd be a shoo-in. 

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

2 hours ago, DelF said:

Looking good! If there was an award for the fastest Flirt/Speedy build you'd be a shoo-in. 

I wish I had the patience to go slow and shoot for perfection, but I'd go insane if I tried as I lack the tools and skills for that. Maybe one day.

I did take yesterday off from boat building and did some work around the house to keep my wife from handing me divorce papers. 😃

Hello dkuehn (is that your name?)

I’m building the Flirt myself and i have a question.

Maybe you have seen it on my build log about the stern side counter.

I try to find it by your model but i can’t find it?

It’s part number 57.

Sjors

1 hour ago, Sjors said:

Hello dkuehn (is that your name?)

I’m building the Flirt myself and i have a question.

Maybe you have seen it on my build log about the stern side counter.

I try to find it by your model but i can’t find it?

It’s part number 57.

Sjors

Remember, this is the same hull as Speedy, so you can check those build logs out too.