HMS Flirt by dkuehn - Vanguard Models - 1:64

2 hours ago, Sjors said:

Hello dkuehn (is that your name?)

I’m building the Flirt myself and i have a question.

Maybe you have seen it on my build log about the stern side counter.

I try to find it by your model but i can’t find it?

It’s part number 57.

Sjors

I omitted that detail because my wales took up most of that space and the boom crutch parts 128 seemed to tie into the wales enough for my tastes. I'll go check your log and comment if it seems like it would be helpful to do so. 

Thanks  dkhuen,

We are just building for fun and it has not to be a museum piece.

If we are happy with how it looks then it’s fine.

That’s the most important  thing.

Sjors

Looks like James has competition for fastest builder. Nice work. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Looks like James has competition for fastest builder. Nice work. 

I might match his speed, but he's way ahead when craftsmanship is included as well. 

I have a bunch of different hobbies that I switch between. Any skills that I build up are lost again when I put aside a hobby for a while. I'm sure I'll still be building boats when Chris releases the Duchess of Kingston. I'll try to raise my quality of build a little on that one. 

35 minutes ago, dkuehn said:

I might match his speed, but he's way ahead when craftsmanship is included as well. 

It's your hobby, it's great to apply whatever quality you're happy and comfortable with doing. I'm sure I spend way too much time trying to make everything as well as I can - to each his own be true.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, dkuehn said:

I have a bunch of different hobbies that I switch between.

Your craftsmanship looks pretty darn good to me. 

I have way too many hobbies as well and several more interest that have yet to be explored in depth. I'd need another lifetime to do them all justice. I should probable try and pare them down so I could do a few really well. It is true that the older you get, the faster time goes by.  

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

I've got the lower shrouds on now, but some life stuff is getting in the way and reducing my building time dramatically. I'll keep pecking away at it.

Hi dkuehn,

Your build is looking very good.

I've just started a Flirt build and one of the reasons I bought it was to get more experience with ropes and rigging and ratlines which, when I look at the likes of the Victory builds on here, I just can't understand how folks have the patience and skill to manage all those ropes etc.

Anyway, please keep the pics coming...they are great for picking up tips....and just good to look at.

All the best,

Richard

I'd guess I'll get back at it in December. Maybe sooner as I have the Duchess of Kingston ordered and that might get the building juices flowing when it shows up. But I have a house that is almost rebuilt (after burning) that I'm going to have to move to pretty soon, sometime later this month. I'm guessing after I move and get the house set up I'll be inclined to resume the build. 

Good luck on your rebuilding your house. You have a lot on your plate so, hopefully, finding a small amount of time to work on either of your ships will be a nice respite.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...