IJN Yamato build question

Silly_me

Greetings, been working on the Tamiya kit for a good long while and I've a question that I can't find an answer for (my google-fu is usually strong, but I'm floundering here).

I have the Pontos wood deck for Yamato and it came with a nice set of dry-transfer decals, but for the life of me I can not figure what these markings that are applied to the deck are.

Anyone have an idea?

Much appreciate any help!

J8PsSgH - Imgur.jpg

Not everybody has your kit, so give a better photograph of the dry-transfer sheet. The long roman numbers the four columns are the depth markings. Those go near the anchor and a midships (that was the easy part). Is it the 1/350 or 1/200; old or new tool?

P.s. You could have posted this in the model kit forum https://modelshipworld.com/forum/137-1901-present-day/ , and you would get the "propper" attention

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

The kit is Tamiya's 78025.  In the pic above you can see the directions to apply the white numbers (the numbers are in the upper right corner of the decal sheet in the pic above) to the deck.  It starts at the bow with #12 and ends on the stern with #222.

I've not seen these numbers anywhere (including pics of the model at Kure).  Kinda curious where Pontos came up with this (what was their source?) and what exactly do these numbers represent?

I wasn't sure where to post this, not sure if double posting this over there would be frowned upon or not.  

I am just taking a guess here as not everything in your pictures is all that clear, at least on my computer.

If the numbers match the plan picture of the deck it looks like possibly the Japanese followed the idea of marking frame numbers and representing them as stations. This practice is fairly common in most countries both in civilian and naval ships. The Yamato was about 263 meters in length so 12 would be the frame at 12 meters and 222 would be the frame at 222 meters. 

As I said, just a guess, others may have better ideas.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I would suggest starting a build log, sir.   Show the contents of the box and then ask your question.  The log is good way to eyes and help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have the answer for you, according to page one of the instructions those number are related to deck frame numbers.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

You folks were correct, frame numbers, using your aid I found this review of the pontos deck  -> http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/misc/pontos/35002wd1-musashi/pontos-review.html

That said, I still could not find any reference of these actually being used on the Yamato.  Not sure what I'll end up doing.

Thanks again, learned something new today!