I have started the build of a Heller Le Solei Royal, my level of expertise in building models is of an advanced beginner (LOL). I know I am unable to turn out some build at the level of some of the very well done ships I have seen in this blog, but I will do my best and build the ship as good as I can.

Attached are some photos of the hull, I am still in the process of double checking the hull in an attempt to find and correct any errors, and also to fix any paint details, once I am done with this process I will start installing the masts.

I intent to do my own shrouds and rat line (I may not have an option about this because the kit does not comes with preformed shrouds ) I am also thinking of doing my own paper sails.

Attached are some photos of the progress, also a photo of a sail I made as a training exercise to see how it came out.

Joe

Royal_0012.JPG

Royal_0013.JPG

Royal_0004.JPG

46 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Looks pretty good so far. Is it your intention to add updates to this topic? If so, then I can move it to the build logs section for you.

Cheers!

Please do! but, also please tell me were is the build log section is located within the blog. Thanks

Joe

Thanks, I found it.

I went ahead and look at the rendition of the Royal by Hobac's Historian, He did a magnificent work on the ship, I am afraid that my ship is not going to be as good as his, but, due to my level of expertise, I do not believe that I can duplicate the works that he has done. Maybe, after I have done a few more models and in another 2 years or so, I may be able do something closer to Hobac's Historian work.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there! It has some time since I updated this blog, reason being that I reached a point were, due to the confusing French instructions and rigging schematics, I did not understand what I needed to do next. Luckily, a friend of my that is also into modeling ships, had a set of Japanese instructions for the same ship that are outstanding in how clear the rigging instruction are, together with the French instruction and the English translation I now able to make sense of what and how things are to be done.

As can be seen in the attached photo, I am getting ready to start the first phase of doing the shrouds, I hope I able to handle the very small deadeyes when it is considered that they do not have channels on them to lock the rope in place. So far I have been working on the ship for 2 months, I expect the I still be working on it 3 or 4 months from now. Will see

Joe

royal_0011.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The building of this ship has been a slow process, I have run into several problems, including mistakes made due to the hard to follow French instructions, another modeler provided me with the Japanese version of the same instructions that, being a lot clearer, allowed me to continue with the build. Then, when I started to do the shrouds, I got very frustrated due to having to work with such small parts, to the point that I almost abandon the project, but, I rested for a couple of days plus did some research in the Internet, that allowed me to find the solutions to my problems.

Attached is a photo that shows the completed shrouds together with its rat  lines of one of the masts, that came out fairly decent. you may also notice that I am adding ropes to the doors of the cannons windows. This is not part of the kit, is my attempt to start doing some customization.

It has been a slow progress, but I am learning a lot and preparing myself to do one of the very detailed fancy wood model.

Until next ime

Joe

Following is the latest photo:

Royal_0018.JPG