SS France by ChrisSC - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/600 - PLASTIC

All that work has paid off  Gorgeous Job    - thats about as good as those kits could be   - you should feel very proud of what  you have  done.

Pleaase please build  SS Canberra  if you can find one  - you could either do her as  she was as a liner  or  as she was  in the Falklands  carrying troops  and a bit beat up due to the weather.

Love your work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I agree with Jan and OC Chris. Nice job on a relatively difficult model. Liners can be every bit as hard as warships with all of the small repetitious parts.

I also agree with Jan in that there is little likelihood that there are too many stanchion counters out there for the France. If it was the Titanic then it could possibly be another matter. There seems to be people out there who have dedicated their entire life documenting every rivet of that ship!

Again congratulations. 

But you do need to quit blaming that poor innocent looking dog for bent railings! Next you will be saying that he ate your homework!:P

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lol I crushed another railing while the dog was in the other room lol. Did it trying to get one of the France signs on. I got it pretty straight. Thanks Old Collingwood and Lou. The bow was a pain, lots of tiny pieces that also needed to line up and be strong enough to have rigging attached....tedious stuff.

Thank you for all the kind words. Old Collingwood, I do plan on buying a Canberra in the future, very hard to find but I usually smoke them out eventually. Imigna, I am definitely not a rivet counter. I don't think these old Airfix kits were designed with that sort of thing in mind 50 years ago anyway lol! I do think some of the Titanic people are very critical of others if they have a missing rivet. That's not my intent when building these kits. I have a Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic with all the detail sets that I will try to make as accurate as I can within reason, but I'm not changing the hull plating or anything near that level of obsession.

I am a very happy man today as I just got word from the manufacturer that the wood decks for my 1/350 Lusitania are in the mail. I was going to start another Airfix 1/600, probably QE2, but this changes my plan for the better. I originally started to cut my own wood decks for Lusitania, but in May I was told a laser cut set would soon be available. I decided it would be worth the wait to have professionally cut decks on her as they would certainly look better than anything I could do. The top deck is especially tricky to do.

This is where I left off on my attempt. It is very time consuming and difficult to cut these decks with a ruler and scalpel lol!

20 Template.jpg

21 Template.jpg

22 Template.jpg

23 Deck Cut.jpg

24 Deck Cut.jpg

25 Deck Cutting.jpg

26 Deck Cutting.jpg

27 Deck Cutting.jpg

29 minutes ago, ChrisSC said:

I have a Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic with all the detail sets that I will try to make as accurate as I can within reason, but I'm not changing the hull plating or anything near that level of obsession.

Oh, I knew that a Liner enthusiast like you, would come to that point one day. I cannot wait to read your Build Log of the Trumpeter Titanic.

Yves

Same as Yves👍

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I actually bought the Trumpeter Titanic the first week it was released. I also got both detail up sets, one from Pontos and one from KA Models. I bought porthole drilling jigs, 3D printed bulkheads, a bunch of fiber optic rods and LED's....that model has already cost me a fortune and I haven't touched it yet. It is going to be the first ship I attempt to light. I am kind of tired of seeing Titanic's all over the place but I have to admit it is a very well designed and beautiful model. It's also gigantic!!

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

absolutely beautiful work. Folks don't realize that a display base can either add to or take away from the model. Yours matches the majesty of the model you are building.

Thanks mtdoramike. It's mahogany with a few coats of wipe on polyurethane. I hit it with steel wool between coats. I figure since I have a router I may as well use it!! What I really need to do is start building my own display cases. The cases are terribly expensive, much more than the actual models.

I beg to differ with you Chris!

Your scratch built decks are FANTASTIC. I have no idea what you will be getting in the mail but I can not imagine they will be nicer than what you have already made!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to SS France by ChrisSC - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/600 - PLASTIC