Medway Longboat 1742 1:24 scale by fnkershner

With my powders I use a small paint brush and apply like paint. The difference is that the powers don't cover uniformly like paint. There will be sections where it covers more than others. Also I will apply a heavier coat to different parts of the piece to give it the look I want.

I hope this make sense. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

2 hours ago, Rustyj said:

With my powders I use a small paint brush and apply like paint. The difference is that the powers don't cover uniformly like paint. There will be sections where it covers more than others. Also I will apply a heavier coat to different parts of the piece to give it the look I want.

Rusty, Do you apply a clearcoat or some other finish over your powders to seal them?

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

4 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

, Do you apply a clearcoat or some other finish over your powders to seal them

I usually spray them with dull coat or matt fixative. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks to both of you. I am going to work on this with my mini kit for the stove. I am intrigued with these powders and want to develop a good technique. I also picked up some small sponges today. And yes I use a dull coat as the last coat.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I am still struggling with Silkspan. I have a friend in our local club who says he has several great ideas and lots of experience. We are getting together on the 15th. So in the meantime, I decided to work on a different small project. Here is the result.

20220201_092626.jpg

20220201_092751.jpg

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Thanks Chuck, I think I have finally figured out the weathering powders.  I wanted it to be uneven etc. I like the result.

• 1 month later...

Finally, after much delay and learning. I have sails!!

20220311_175326.jpg

The sails look nice Floyd.  I cannot wait to see them on your Medway Longboat.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Me Too. LOL

• 3 months later...

Ok after what appears to be a 2 month break with other distractions. I am back to this model! I have completed all the shrouds and laced the lanyards. I am now working to completed the Bowsprit. So by next week the only thing that will remain is the Sails to be bent on the boat. I do have a questions (if anyone is still following these builds) is there an easy way to determine .018 from .025 light brown line? I think I have used the wrong one is some places.

And yes I need up to date photos. I will post this weekend.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon