Small Bench Saw UK

Hi.

I have been looking around for a small bench saw.

I found lots of information on the Proxxon FET but a lot of the information is quite negative and I don't want to spend cash on rubbish.

The Jim Byrnes saw keeps coming up as a very nice bit of kit.. I have contacted Jim (today) to see if there are any distributors in the UK.

And to enquire on the price for shipping to the UK.

Now the question I am asking is. :- Are there any decent small bench saws in the UK ?

Would be interested to hear from fellow modellers that use a bench saw and there views on what's required for modeling.

Thanks in advance Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi Anthony, I have to admit that the price of getting one of Jim's table saws across the pond can be off putting, but believe me if you can put up with the cost of shipping you will not be put off with the saw. like everyone else who has one,we would to a man, sing its praises. They don't come any better.

Martin.

p.s. I looked at everything over here and could not find anything to match it.

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

Hi Martin.

I think you are right.

I will wait for jim's reply and make up my mind.

Regards Antony.

Completed Mayflower

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Hi.

Jim has replied with a price.  

Looks like I will be getting one after seeking some advice from those that have this saw.

I am looking at the 230v Byrnes 4" Table Saw (w/24-tooth carbide blade, 1/8 high rip fence and miter gage)

and the Auxiliary Tilting Table 

And the blade recommended above for the tilt table. Thurston - 4" 80-tooth .04 kerf (recommended for the tilt table)

Also getting one of his Drawplates.

The question is:- Is there anything else for the saw I might need ??

I will order next Monday so any thoughts please.

Regards Antony.

Edit  - BTW never owned a power saw before.

Edited by AntonyUK

Completed Mayflower

Hi.

Well I have lashed out and gone for for the Byrnes saw with extra blades etc.

Just waiting now ..Tick Tock .Tick Tock.

Regards Antony.

Completed Mayflower

Congratulations Antony. Prepare to be delighted! You will be singing the praises of this machine long after you have forgotten the price.

And of course, you'll be going back for more Jim Byrnes machines. His disc sander is also a joy to use. One thing that really struck me the first time I switched one of these machines on is just how quiet they are.

May I be the first to wish you Happy Tool Day for when the saw arrives!

That is a very nice saw. However, Are you sure the Proxxon FET got the negative reviews and not the PROXXON KS 230? I ask this because I'm also shopping around and read only good reviews about the FET. The KS 230 gets the bad reviews.......... just wondering

Building: San Felipe

my build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2586-san-felipe-by-robboxxx-mantua-panart-severely-kit-bashed/

Waiting in the wings:

Lauckstreets: Fair American

Mamoli's: Royal Louis

HI Anthony,

Please consider adding the micrometer adjustment. It is perfectly accurate and will help you attain the right distance from blade to fence.

Photo for your reference.

SultanaPlanksUsingMicroMachines009.jpg

Let me know it you have any questions.

Cheers

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

I am not sure that the FET has bad reviews. I think it's more that the Byrnes machine is very much better in probably every way. Jim's blades are better. I should imagine its fence is very much better engineered than the Proxxon's and that there are a lot of other differences. It's also about twice the cost of an FET if you buy in Europe because of the added shipping ($175 to the UK), VAT at 20% (on the combined value of the machine and the postage) and handling charges by the carrier.

I would certainly like to have a Byrnes saw, and if I were in the USA there would be no contest. However, I am quite happy with the FET. I am beginning to understand how to obtain really accurate cuts with it and there are lots of modelers on this forum and in the European model forums who use it and report on it very happily. For the £350 I saved by buying it, I will be able to buy a micro mill and a disc sander (though I'm still thinking about these as I can't afford that yet).

The FET has allowed me to explore easier ways of cutting wood than by hand, and I have obtained precision cuts that would have been very hard if not impossible for me to do by hand. But of course I should imagine the Byrnes saw would be even better.

The only 'fault' I have found so far with the Proxxon is the fence which is fiddly to adjust. That just means it takes slightly longer to adjust.

I don't know if that helps. I am sure others who have had experience of both saws will chime in here!

Tony

Hi.

Thanks for the replys..

I believer in the right tool for the right job.

I look at the saw as an investment and something I will use a lot.

David. As far as the micrometer stop. I did look into weather I would use it and.. no was my own answer.

Just looking forward to using the saw..

It's my first power saw so I got myself 2 books "The Accurate Table Saw" and "Table Saw : Workshop Bench Reference"

So a bit of reading first.

Is there any better books out there that deal with the small saw and close tolerances ??

Regards Antony.

Completed Mayflower

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark.

Thanks.

Found that link a few days ago. and saved it in my to read list.

Regards Antony.

Completed Mayflower

Hi Antony.

The micrometer can always be added later should you have the need.  Wish you well with your  Brynesable saw. Let us know what you think of the tool when you have it set up.

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

Those of us who happen to be lucky enough to own one of Jim's saws, know the value of a tool that is nothing less than a "Functional Heirloom". I have owned very large quality saws, like the Altendorf F-45 all digitised, sliding table, etc, etc; The Inca saw's made in Switzerland, tools that I still own and I must say that the one closest to my heart is that little Byrnes saw. I happen to live just a couple of hours away from Jim in Florida and when I visit his facility I feel like a kid in a toy store. The first time you touch one of these, you will understand how special they are. 

Best regards to you Antony from Roman in Tampa

Congrats Tony,

As a recent Byrnes Saw owner I can only say you made the right choice, you will adore it.

Only things I think you should maybe of got were the slitting blades and zero inserts, I find

I dont use the carbide blade a lot, more the 0.040 slitting blade.

You should try the Disc sander next - an absolute wonderful machine as well.

ben

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I am now the very pleased owner of the Byrnes saw.

I have been working through the link provided below ( and a very usefull like too).

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2593-cutting-scale-timber/

I am an engineer by trade that has worked to dead size tolerances and when I look at its build I can tell that Jim is also a engineer.

Every part of this saw is made to exacting standards and quality is outstanding.

No wonder you people over the puddle send so many rockets into space with this standard of machining and quality.

I have to say this is one quite machine and I could use it in the lounge while skipper is watching TV.

So far I have produced timber that far exceeds the timber I have purchased. Tolerances and finish are wonderful.

If any one has any questions ..Please ask.

Would I recommend this saw ... YES.

Regards Antony.

Completed Mayflower

Congratulations on your purchase. Now fire it up and start your build so we all can enjoy the look of your precision cut wood.

Building: San Felipe

my build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2586-san-felipe-by-robboxxx-mantua-panart-severely-kit-bashed/

Waiting in the wings:

Lauckstreets: Fair American

Mamoli's: Royal Louis

Congratulations Antony! Of course, this will now become just the first buy in your "collection" of Jim Byrnes machines!!! :D

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Does anyone know if I will need to pay customs and VAT if I but the Byrnes Table Saw and have it shipped to Spain (or any other EU country)? I understand that formally bying online from US would be considered as "importing".

The shipping itself is almost 30% of the saw's price, and additional customs and VAT could easily double it!

Many thanks for any insight you may have.

Best,

Wojtek

Wojtek

I agree, the shipping charges are awful and on top of that you get to pay a bunch of taxes.  Also, UPS has a pretty good rate hike starting January 1.so it only gets worse.  Check with your local customs office.  The rules are different in every country.  I know some countries they add the cost of shipping to the total price and that can bump you over the duty free limit.  We find it's cheaper to send machines to Australia in 2 different shipments rather than 1 large one so they stay under their limit.  Check with your customs house

regards

Jim

That's good advice from Jim, and is exactly what I did. I can say though, that regardless of the shipping/import costs, these machines are worth every cent paid. "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!"

I had a brief look at one of the Proxxon circular saws on a recent trip to Axminster and can't say I was over impressed with the quality. It seemed over priced to me but it does have valuable features that other mini saws don't have like the ability to tilt the blade like a full size table saw. There seem to be similar saws to the Proxxon out there at a better price point, at least in some parts of the world and I would not be overly concerned by things like a poor rip fences etc as these are easily replaced. Digital calipers or depth gauges are also relatively easy to add if required to provide accurate cutting. Many folks regard foreign machine tools as a "work in progress" that once fettled by the owner provide a good compromise of price and quality, if you have the skill to do the work!

Hi.

I have had my saw for some time now.. And it's in use by 3 people ... Local friends that do modeling..

Lots of usage. Still no issues.

I also have Jim's sander. I built my own version first.. It was OK. But after I got Jim's sander Wow the difference was sooo noticeable on the finished timber.

Yes inport duties are high. But if you want quality timber you need Quality tools.

Regards Antony.

Completed Mayflower

This is a great looking compact table saw not much more than the cost of a Proxxon. I wonder if you can get thin blades to fit full size saws to make them a bit more suitable for model making? Fitting a smaller diameter blade isn't likely to present any problems.

http://www.alltools.co.uk/bosch-table-saw-gts-10j-1.html?utm_source=Froogle?utm_medium=Shopping?utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKEAiAvauyBRDwuYf3qNyXmW4SJACX9-fXoehpUYlBjhFnyuQMakSEGtbnQNF8O0y_df4kQeZ_rRoCZ2Tw_wcB

Manual here if anyone is interested:

https://www.tooled-up.com/artwork/ProdPDF/Bosch%20gts-10-j_manual.pdf

Edited by Q A's Revenge

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of blades suitable for the Byrnes table saw? Alternatively has anyone got an alternative adaptor bush to suit what is available this side of the pond?

Rob

These folks may be able to help? They say they can bore the blade to the size required.

http://www.sawshop.co.uk/3-1-2-medium-course-finish-c-1209_1236_1378_1939_2124_2125/atkinson-walker-cordless-saw-wood-cutting-circular-saw-blade-85mm-20-tips-general-purpose-finish-p-170722893

I don't think 20mm is an uncommon bore for small blades so there should be plenty of others. Worth a Google.

Rob,

Have a look here:  http://www.thurstonmfg.com/cut-off-saws.html   They might even have a UK distributor.   I've seen their blades listed by other companies and I've also bought direct.   I don't what VAT and shipping would add, though.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the answer QAR. Having had a look on the site they don't seem to have the fine-kerf slitting blades I tend to wear out most often.

Best wishes

Rob

In that case Google "slitting saws", lots of companies sell them or check out eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/370182966397?adgroupid=16885268106&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=aud-143383368752%3Akwd-124273560066&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F710-134428-41853-0%252F2%253Fipn%253Dicep%2526icep_id%253D67%2526mtid%253D1673%2526kwid%253D1%2526crlp%253D64198248666_563391%2526icep_item_id%253D370182966397%2526itemid%253D370182966397%2526icep_meta_categ_id%253D12576%2526icep_etrs%253DY%2526icep_epid%253D-999%2526icep_ctlg%253D-999%2526icep_cond%253DNew%2526targetid%253D124273560066%2526rlsatarget%253Daud-143383368752%253Akwd-124273560066%2526rpc%253D0.23%2526rpc_upld_id%253D58462%2526device%253Dt%2526icep_msku_flag%253Dn%2526icep_cbt%253Dn%2526adtype%253Dpla%2526loc%253D9045712%2526poi%253D9045712%2526campaignid%253D270621186%2526adgroupid%253D16885268106%2526gclid%253DCj0KEQiApruyBRCFqoDu1pbk9rkBEiQAF8EFdWkcsYw13dnqAQWanxG8VZppYUZHe55SinYkgrujffcaAmWi8P8HAQ%2526srcrot%253D710-134428-41853-0%2526rvr_id%253D933800403250&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=9045712&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=t&chn=ps&campaignid=270621186&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

They also sell quite cheaply at model engineering shows, that's where I've bought all mine. Often only a couple of pounds each.