HMS Victory by ronald305 - Model Space

Ronald, in the pics provided you can see I have made the bend with the twist using a candle. I used some old bass or lime wood 1/16” x 1/4”. This took about five minutes after soaking it for 2 or 3 minutes. Twist in opposite directions while putting a bend in it at the same time. Lay against the hull where it fits and trim.  Pay no attention to the scrap piece of cherry, it was not used in the process. Hope this helps. 

In my opinion, soaking for 12 hours is way too long. Wood will only hold so much water. If I’m using boxwood I only soak it 30 minutes or so. 

C46CDDA0-2A4F-4B38-A370-2921743BB22F.thumb.jpeg.1ffe8c91447efbabccb548302cf2526e.jpeg

6B4EC6AA-BD00-4378-8945-C62A66B4B5C3.thumb.jpeg.f1667b080bd26952f246d7e5fb162109.jpeg

C2D5365A-61FB-456C-9D2D-B63306F8481B.thumb.jpeg.ffe2d4054cf6069bdab3fd5bbed15bea.jpeg

ok thanks Bossman 

12 hours was a recommendation from another site also I have no idea what type of wood  the planks are made  of but do like the way you achieved the bend and twist in the photos so  how long  is a good  time to soak the planks if not 12 hours  and did you bowl the water as well 

Ronald 

Edited by ronald305

Ronald, I soaked the planks for 2 or 3 minutes. I just used warm water. You will get a feel for heat and pressure. Don’t try to force it. It took me about 5 minutes for a finished plank. If you feel you need during the bending process, dip your finger in water and rub it on the plank. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi guys and Gal's 

would any one know why Model space is down  all I get a server error I wanted to tell Mark the 

Administrator that my planks that he said went out to me in October never did show up and I 

am about to run out of 5mm X 2MM planks to fix the stern area  what can I use to substitute for that

size planking I was able to find that size buy only in balsa but I find it to soft can it be used  can it be 

bent in to shape using the same method  as the for the harder planks 

Ronald