Lady Eleanor by Rik Thistle - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Fifie Circa 1900

Thanks Ryland. I'm busy reading up on Flirt on the internet (not much there) but also reading through others' builds on MSW (a lot there).

So once I have a bit more understanding of the Flirt build, and have had a little downtime, I'll commence my 'winter project'.

All the best,

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words Tom.

As a noobie I was at first a bit apprehensive about putting up 'build logs' ...but once I got in to the swing of it I found it quite useful ie each post marks the end of a week or so of work, it gives me an opportunity to ask related questions and it provides me with a permanent record of what I did and that I can look back on in years to come.

As you've possibly noticed, Flirt has self started her build (whilst I was busy looking for a non-ship project) so I have to continue work on her...which is no hardship. And probably good timing, what with the latest rounds of Lockdown.

Take care,

Richard

She looks wonderful, Richard!  I love the way these boats look with the black topsides.  I’ll be doing my Zulu in the same way.

Terrific detail on the fish hold hatch boards!  I wish I had seen your log sooner, as I might have given that a try.  Thanks for all the inspiration.  I have a Flirt kit as well, so I’ll be following along on that one too.

EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

Thanks Eke.

Lady Eleanor was a delight to work on. I hope she has a long, successful career feeding families up and down the coasts of the UK 😉

The black, red and white hull does look pretty good and as Chris says on his website, we are invited to expand on his kit and add our own touches.

It greatly helps that there are a number of excellent build logs on this particular website and plenty books, and pics and info from other museum/preservation society websites. It's very satisfying that a number of these boats are still sailing - thank you to those who do that.

Flirt is a big step up for me and I imagine it will see me through to next summer, at least. One of the reasons I bought it was that it has plenty rigging - something I'm not particularly comfortable doing. But, as they say, you need to confront your demons to overcome them... well, that what they say - we shall see.

Catch you soon,

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Lady Eleanor has at last been allocated a port from which she will sail... it is Leith, on the north side of Edinburgh.

516304948_LEnameplates3.thumb.jpg.47a812102f9c0b478c323f044073d95e.jpg

Half of my family originally hails from Leith so it is only fitting that is where she is based. 

And how my Grandad, who worked at the port,  might have seen a pic of her...

1828925884_LEnameplates3bw.thumb.jpg.1974324e2a93f831464e59184a5814fb.jpg

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

• 1 month later...

I Just picked up on your build. Congrats. Very nice work and I love your extra details, specially the maroon sails which appear on most of the Fifie's photos I have seen. Thanks a lot for your little video too. I am getting ready to start on my own Fifie. Cheers

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

Ras,

Much appreciated.

Lady Eleanor was a pleasure to work on and it's a good thing that model manufaturers and builders keep their memories alive, as do the communities and families associated with the industry.

There are many excellent builds of Fifies, Zulus, Irish Hookers etc on this website that provide very useful insights into the kits and their assembly, and also how to do top level 'bashing'.

You will thoroughly enjoy your Fifie build...no doubt about that...and you can add your own touches, tweaks and additions to your build to make it even more memorable.

The only downer about the Fifie build is that one day you will finish it ;-)....but the silver lining is that there are many other similar vessels to then tackle.

Regards,

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

I just got caught up on your build log. Wonderful Job, Richard. She's a beauty.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Bob.

She's my favourite so far, out of all 2 1/2 ships I've built 😉     I've a hunch if I ever get to 10x ships built she'll still be a favourite.

The build was not too difficult/not too easy ...and just the right length of build time.  I'd recommend her in a flash.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

11 hours ago, Rik Thistle said:

I'd recommend her in a flash.

I have the Lady Isabella by Vanguard on the shelf and I'm looking forward to building her.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finding this build log a great help. I’m building the Vanguard Fifie too (but not as well!). Thank you. 

I really like the colour you have dyed the sails which seem more browny red than the quite bright red on the box art. Please could I ask what dye you used? 

Thanks! 

Dan

Dan

Current Build: Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Dan,

The colouring I used was 'Rit Dye Powder - Cocoa Brown' ... eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AQ6ZGAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I probably spotted it being used on one of the previous Fifie builds, or perhaps Chris recommeded it in the manual. I think I diluted it a little.

Do you have a Fifie build log we can look in on?

Richard.

Hi Richard, 

Yes, I do have a Fifie build log - link below. Any advice would be hugely appreciated as I’m completely new to this.

Thank you very much for the dye recommendation, the reddish brown you have achieved looks super. I’m not so keen on the ‘wine’ colour recommended in the instructions which is too pink and bright for my taste. I saw someone else using cocoa brown too but their sails came out much more brown than yours. Guess I need to get some and experiment on an old rag. 

Dan

Dan

Current Build: Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Dan,

No probs.

Actually, now I have had a look at your blog I realise I have already been reading it :-)

The dark wooden finish looks great and the darker rubbing strakes etc set it off very nicely.

Richard

• The title was changed to Lady Eleanor by Rik Thistle - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Fifie Circa 1900