New member from Holland

IJNfan

Hello everybody

like the title said here’s another novice in modelling. Me and modeling do not have a very long history yet. I am resuming the hobby after a 4-5 years hiatus. My last kit was bought in 2015/2016 and never finished, I lost it as well somehow. Don’t ask my how one loses a revell 1/350 plarinum New Jersey because well, it happens.

nevertheless the work I did on that kit was botched. I wasn’t ready and got annoyed. Before that I build several oob Airfix ships and a Revell Tirpitz. 

My fascination with model ships goes back even further though until around 12 years ago when I was 8 and used to admire a wooden model of a ship-of-the-line (I think it might have been a victory or something of that order) amazed, it was fully rigged and had all cannons etc etc. I however never ventured into wooden ships. Instead I bought some lindberg Iowa class ships that I put together. After that came a lot of airfix models and the tirpitz and then it stalled.

however back in January this year I had time to spare, so I went to the hobbyshop in the neighboring city and got myself a set of Revell paints and a 1/700 model. My interests for ships are fairly narrow, no wood, no civilians and no scratchbuilding. I lack the patience and skill for wood and scratching and the interest for civilian ships. One of the fun parts of modellijg warships is that nearly every ship has a backstory

long story short, Covid put my organ playing lessons on a temporary hiatus while the study was fully digitalized. So I invested in an airbrush and a bunch of models.  I have learned that I like 1/350 most of all scales, while 1/700 is enjoyable it doesn’t have the “wow-factor” of the larger 1/350 models. I solely use tamiya paints as they airbrush easily and drt very quickely!

Currently I have two goals that I am working towards,

1. I want to build the Nagato 1/350 with the Pontos set

2. Maybe At some point I might want to build the Soleil Royal from Heller but that would be a steep curve without doing some other heller sail ships, whether I have the patience would be a large question-mark anyway. How do people cope with these massive building times stretching ng out over multiple years? Mine never stretch longer than 2-3 months until now.

Anyway, these past months I have been refining my skills and my last ship was the HMS Hood in 1/350 with flyhawk, eduard, infini and north star pe. More builds are definitely ahead cause I am in this hobby to stay and I like to share my work, bw it good or not, with likeminded people who enjoy the same hobby cause there is nobody in my circle of friends and family who I share the hobby with, which is sad, but alas I speak several words English and this forum is amazing, (the amount of expertise, help, techniques, tricks and skills that can be found here is astounding). And thus here I am. And since I love the IJN ships for their appearance ever since I saw a picture of the Kongo class somewhere, I shall henceforth be named IJNfan🤪

greetings from Holland

Gerco

ps. Here is my latest creationIUyI6bf.jpg

0nOd12s.jpg

:sign:

That looks like a very nice model you have there.  Definitely feel free to start a build log for your next or current project would love see more of your work

Welcome to Model Ship World Gerco.  You are a very talented model builder and I look forward to seeing more of your builds.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Gerco, welcome to MSW

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

1 hour ago, amateur said:

And another welcome.

There are some 1/350 builders active here in the forum. Enough to share experiences :)

(btw Bach or something more modern?)

Jan 

Thanks Jan and everybody for the warm welcome! And yeah I already drew on some of the build logs for an earlier build!

As for Bach, I like everything that is not modern and not ancient (from before 1650 roughly) 😇. Currently I am learning and playing Bach Chorals and Sonata's from Mendelssohn and Guilmant but also this particular dutch organ culture around church Hymns which I also play often. Combine that with typical dutch organs and you get a gorgeous result! And since I record everything I play I can always listen it back and enjoy it just like the models we build and enjoy when finished and displayed

11 hours ago, MEDDO said:

That looks like a very nice model you have there.  Definitely feel free to start a build log for your next or current project would love see more of your work

I Certainly will, my currentbuild is closing in on the finish so I'll post the final result and when the next build (1/350 Mikuma with a nic PE batch) commences I'll start a build log. 

Sounds like you have a nice organ. I try to find my way on a small, not so nice, early 20th century one. Bach doens't quite fit to something like that, and Mendelsohn is above my league :(

I like the 'Psalmbewerkingen in Noord-Duitse stijl' van Sietze de Vries (also not fit for my instrument, but at least I can play them :) )

I'll folow your upcoming build. Not quite a plastic/small scale myself (actually, almost no modelbuilding left in my sparese time) but I am surprised at the precision of those smale-scale models.

Jan

1 hour ago, amateur said:

Sounds like you have a nice organ. I try to find my way on a small, not so nice, early 20th century one. Bach doens't quite fit to something like that, and Mendelsohn is above my league :(

I like the 'Psalmbewerkingen in Noord-Duitse stijl' van Sietze de Vries (also not fit for my instrument, but at least I can play them :) )

I'll folow your upcoming build. Not quite a plastic/small scale myself (actually, almost no modelbuilding left in my sparese time) but I am surprised at the precision of those smale-scale models.

Jan

Its all perception, I think all these ropes on the prince willem are tiny. The Hood is 74+ cm.

Sietze is nice, even on a Witte it can sound nice but its different. Anyway I have a Johannus vivaldi 350 and refularly rent a pipe organ for practice. Like bovenkerk kampen, lutherse kerk den haag and oude kerk delft. And I receive lessons from G. Budding in Gouda’s sint jan’s kerk. But I am straying a little off topic I am afraid🙃