HMS Speedy by Spyglass - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64

Posted (edited)

At last got back to my build.

I had thought my fairing was done apart from the final bit of stern thinning. but found i needed to do more - use a old strip of thin tanganyika to check the run.   I think I have it now but i am intending to preshape all the second planking  and so can do a check before actually gluing.

fair2.thumb.jpg.052b924eaee29541c3c5e852214d90f1.jpg

I did stop faffing about and went for pear  - fair amount of colour variation so I will do a bit of "grading"

The "template method" for thinning thestern seems i have worked well

fair1.thumb.jpg.7e700b35db033e13eac8ef206ff292ac.jpg

trial stern post fit

fair3.thumb.jpg.068f8b1e89f1c92392604b97314253cc.jpg

and with a piece of planking strip showing i seem to have the thinning quite good with the strip just teeny fraction proud.

fair4.thumb.jpg.c9ef03719b813d41cb58bf01e9b4620d.jpg

Last fairing is just to have a check after fitting the keel strips

fair5.thumb.jpg.4611eebbd662f3a2c25822ea16dc315a.jpg

JUST AN EDITED ON COMMENT - the method works but I think the better approach  -which I will go back to next time is my previous practice of doing most of the stern thinning before any assembly and terminating the first planking early . Just easier I think.

Edited by SpyGlass

Nice work on the 'thinning' 🙂

I also thind the stern/deadwood-area before I applyed the first planking. My problem was, that I managed to sand some decent 'dents' into the allready glued in frames. Fortunatly, the strips of the first planking were thick enough to cover my fault. One can see that in some of my pictures :-).

But nevertheless, as you, I would do more sanding for the first planking on my next build :-).

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Measure many times.......   And then do it again !!

Sat down to do second planking -very pleased with my fairing and thinning of the first layer.

I had lined up the  stern post  etc using a spare damaged post from my aborted build and thinned the keel against my stock of pear as you can see above.

i was already to glue the stern post  - but somehow it just didnt look right. 

So I checked -  the two stern posts were not the same thickness !!  The one to be fitted is narrower.

And the pear I am going to use was just a bit thicker than nominal - while the stock pieces I had used to setup were just a bit thinner So I need a bit more thinning at the stern .

And my feelthy language at this point caused the Admiral to demand that my den be cleaned so another teeny delay  but its done now - spotless - just pleading for sawdust ! ! !!!

1819645005_IMG_20210626_1623461.thumb.jpg.b6518d478d6e842cc0929eb58e6f392c.jpg

Edited by SpyGlass

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

In the rush of clearing up the den, I had "unsorted" the pear I had colour matched - since i do not intend to do coppering or much painting

So first task re-sort.  I have a fair stock of pear in various shades - enough to do the second planking several times over.

IMG_2589.thumb.JPG.ef71a31c453de56480c15d18911ea254.JPG

My original intent was to keep the hull fairly light coloured - in contrast to the usual walnut planking in most of my previous builds.

But just as an experiment I gave some samples a quick coat of satin varnish - my normal finish - and was surprised to see much more color  variation than was obvious in the "raw" strips.

IMG_2586.thumb.JPG.1f5fd196a88465219a9650ee01ebd6d9.JPG  IMG_2587.thumb.JPG.49a5388437e3af5a7d2824940005552d.JPG

So sorting needs to be a bit more precise.

And i started toying with the idea of two colour areas of planking  -above and below wale maybe.

So i another careful sort in a really good light will decide that.

Meanwhile more sawdust - finish the stern keel thinning which as I said before needs a touch more work.

And to add variety I started looking at setting up a "trial gun".

So out came my selection of possibles i have to hand including the kit

image.thumb.png.e93c47542c32f48978f8b42c227b2e82.png

I have to balance my preferences against reality.

I am not keen of square axles - pleased to see Chris has lately been going round !

And cap squares I have little success with - I like the MK lasered in ones and I see Chris is doing something similar.

But I couldnt get a better suitable combination nor could I see any offering anywhere of anything better in same size - so looks like the kit supplied one

And rigging - I would be disappointed just to have the breech rope fitted so  will have to see if I can do some adequate test frapped tackle pairs

Edited by SpyGlass

Posted (edited)

I must say I have never seen an axle that is square on the ends and for the life of me I cannot understand why any kit would supply such a thing.   Carriage axles were rectangular or square in cross section except of course  the ends where the trucks went on.   If the axle itself is wood and otherwise good to use, you can round the ends very easily with a brass cutter made with hand tools and a hand drill.    When I make the axles from scratch they are rectangular or square in shape depending on whether the front or back axle, including the reduced outside sections.  These are then rounded with the home made brass cutter.  Drill, hacksaw, and or hand files are all that you need to make the cutter.  Once made, chuck in the drill, place the axle in a vice and round the ends.   The shoulder on the axle prevents the cutter from going too deep.

1541836218_Axletreesandcutter2.jpg.b601ed8d41ea77e54491f0fd015c2182.jpg

At least the trucks are round rather than square as below

956292054_Squarewheels.jpg.275caf166bd9f0fd64823486afdacefa.jpg

Edited by allanyed

Posted (edited)

I was thinking of rounding the axles - but had difficulty finding the right size wheels -perhaps beads ?   - but i will keep looking.

At this scale a few passes with a sanding stick does enough rounding

Edited by SpyGlass

Posted (edited)

Sent an order off for assorted amati wheels.

But  turned to the actual vessel and did a spot of additional fairing - in the sun - the glare showed up  a few more unevenesses but more or less happy now.

Did a check fix with metal dowels for keel section and stern post. Fairing seems good

1304551837_IMG_25901.thumb.jpg.e47f13aaee36ba0ec0108e4e303d37d7.jpg

All seemed in order except the keel "add on" and the ply keel need a touch to sit nicely against each other

AND  I have just remembered that i need to drill the holes NOW in the keel add on section for the threaded rod for mounting before  I fix the keel on!!

Edited by SpyGlass

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Annnndddd turned 77  - and my shoulder went again!!

6 weeks Physio is supposed to fix it !!

But still have hand movement and left side is fine

SO retreived keel stem and stern bits from where the tidying up had moved them to many NOT obvious locations.

I had tooo many parts - because  Chris had supplied me with one or two extra bits when he replaced my MDF etc 

IMG_20210731_183620.thumb.jpg.ac0a4e43cc76d7d06955ce09bbe26a4e.jpg

But then I wasted hours thinking there was a problem in matching the pieces and using those nice supplied clips until i realised that the two sets were just slightly different thickness and- blow me -the clips gaps matched.  Stupid - I had already noticed the difference when I was trial fitting the stern post, but it had slipped what I am pleased to call my mind !

And then of course I realised that I had been worrying about nothing  ( as per usual) since i was going to paint these bits black so i could use a bit of sawdust and glue filler as required  - would make all smooth ! No wonder I am sooo slow building !

The long keel piece i had been so carefully drilling and fitting was a "thicker" piece but the best fit of the others was the thinner ones (actually a Flirt set). So i will remake the long keel piece not hard once you have done one !

Edited by SpyGlass

Posted (edited)

Slowly does it - have sorted the matching bits for the keel.  Just wondering whether to paint them now?  Maybe just a first coat?

keel1.thumb.jpg.60c79eef0116ece564efa5bb25942526.jpg

Cut temporary rabbet piece for the stem second planking from the stem sheetkeel2.thumb.jpg.6f4de2289443a634a1cf51e7ec9b33cb.jpg

Bit of filing to remove the tabs and now i can plank to that piece clamped temporarily to the stem to get a neat edge ( I hope !!)keel3.thumb.jpg.efaaedf51b3f372cf07ba4ffc7eadb13.jpg

Edited by SpyGlass

• 2 weeks later...

Unstrapped my arm today !!

So onwards.

I was looking at second planking - because I dont wish to paint the hull i want it to be fairly good but being realistic about the hand etc.

I have always relied on single strip planking stem post  to stern post with very careful adjustment of length -  suspect I wont be able to manage that to my standard.

I have always TOTALLY failed to sand the end of the keel with planking adequately flat to fit the stern post snugly.

I just havent got the patience - nor i suspect now the dexterity - to do individual scale planks.

So - half strips maybe  like this - sketched on first planking (joins need to be  a bit forrard though !)

IMG_20210814_171510.thumb.jpg.ba48c153e25467a2f7eff39b19553423.jpg

I have seen some builds with it .  Strikes me as easier to get a snug fit on a simple almost flat join in the centre of the hull rather than the mulitcurved ends.  Anybody  tried this ??

Good to hear that your shoulder is on the mend. You look to be making a cracking job of the planking and look forward to your progress. The Speedy is definately something I would like to try in the future . Best of luck with this build.