Hi all,

I've just started a Panart Vaporetto and have noticed in other folk's builds that the seats inside the boat look incredibly grainy once they're painted and I would like to avoid the same finish. Is there some sort of "stopper" I could use to flatten or infill that grain prior to painting?

grainy-seats.JPG.887d6c66b0f41252a3308c0462c4389c.JPG

I'm not trying to go over the top (I was going to say overboard but maybe that's a censored word around here 😂), but considering that these bench-seats will be so easy to work on, I thought it might be worth paying them more attention.

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

You need to apply a wood filler like Minwax 21600000 high performance filler first.  This particular brand is my favorite as it's ready for sanding in about half an hour.  Then sand it down until you get it to your desired smoothness.  Once done you can paint it and have the smooth finish you're looking for.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

When I want wood to be smooth I use an automotive body filler meant to fill scratches in final or close to final sanding.  It adheres to wood w/o any problem.  Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty.  This isn't meant to fill massive dents, dips are voids - that's regular body filler Bondo.

I use an old credit card as a squeegee to force the filler into the wood grain - don't let it build up.  When cured I sand it and see how smooth it is.   If you want the part to look like metal or fiberglass multiple coats might be needed.

Some use Spackle wall hole filler the same way.

spot filler - sm.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

You can also try the old gunsmith’s trick called “whiskering.”  Very lightly dampen the bare wood with water and let it dry.  This will raise the grain.   Now sand it with fine sandpaper.  This should reduce the tendency of the grain to raise when you apply your finish.

Roger

If you are going to paint it anyway, consider polystyrene sheeting which is very easy to cut with a stiff razor or scalpel.  If you prefer to stay with wood, Vaddoc has good advice, use a close grained wood like castello or boxwood.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks for your help guys - much appreciated! 🙂 👍

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!