Newbie from Chino Hills, California

tomsimon

Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself to the MSW family.  My name is Thomas, and my Wife and I reside in Chino Hills, California.  I have taken a few days to familiarize myself with the quality, model ship building tutorials, howto and build logs on MSW, allowing me to become more confident, as I begin my journey on model ship building.  My first build will be the FIFIE Lady Eleanor (Vanguard), as my Wife loved the picture of it with the dyed, red'ish/pink'ish sails.  For educational purposes, I am studying: Ship Modeling  Simplified, by Mastini, Planking Techniques For Model Ship Builders,  by Dressel, Period Ship Kit Builder's Manual, by Julier, and Ship Modeling From Stem To Stern, by Roth.  I would like to acknowledge Jason at Ages of Sail, San Lorenzo, California, for his care, patience, know how and how to, provided to me, as I begin the journey of model ship building.  Thank you for taking the time to ready my member introduction.

Welcome to MSW, Tom.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome, Thomas. You've chosen a very attractive model to start on. There are several build logs for this kit already on MSW. Just do a search (top right corner of the page) for Vanguard Fifie and they'll come up. They should help you with problems you may encounter as you go.

And do start a build log of your own -it's the best way to get help, advice and encouragement from those who've been there before. And we get to see an attractive model being built. The instructions for starting a build log are here:

Have fun with it!

Welcome to Model Ship World tomsimon.  You have picked a good kit to get you started in this hobby.  The book, Ship Modeling  Simplified, by Frank Mastini was the first book I purchased on ship modeling and it got me interested in this hobby.  I was fortunate to have known Frank Mastini as he was a member of the Hampton Roads Ship Model Society.  He was mentoring me on the Bluenose shortly before he passed away.  I treasure the time I spent with him.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thank you, mtaylor  and Edwardkenway for welcoming me.  Louie da fly, thank you for recommending a build log and your positive feedback about the FIFIE, Lady Eleanor model.  I am so glad to hear of your friendship with Frank Mastini, Ryland Craze.  You are blessed to have connected with him.  And, I am confident He is grateful that you are commemorating him with thoughtful and positive memories, thereby helping persons, such as myself, to learn more about wood kit ship building.  Thanks for the welcome, JJT, and, a G'day to you as well, Jim Lad.