Joshua Slocum's Spray by HIPEXEC

Still trying to clean up the poor planking job I did. I need a lot of filler and sanding. Oh well? Old age creeping up on me. 

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5459.JPG

IMG_5458.JPG

Since it's going to be painted, you should be able to make it look just fine I think.  The base is solid so filling and sanding should result in a nice hull.

I'm making a template for all the holes in the deck I'll need to show Slocum's cabin, galley, and storage

IMG_5462.JPG

I've drawn the cut lines on the real deck using the template I created. I'll carefully cut out the open areas next.

IMG_5463.JPG

Hi Rich

I'll attach a photo below from when the Spray was in Sydney. The photo has quite good detail, I hope it's interesting if not actually useful. I believe he was given new sails here & these do look pretty good.

As an aside, our sailing club has a "Captain Slocum Trophy Race", the connection is that a member of the club was thought to be the first person aboard the Spray in Sydney. When he was about 10 & was fishing with friends near the heads when an unknown boat came in. They rowed over & went aboard. I am friends with the son of that boy, the son is now around 95 - at the last count.....

Mark

807141708_IMG_2348copy.thumb.png.0f899ee1afb796eacfd448c01f74be60.png

10 hours ago, Mark Pearse said:

Hi Rich

I'll attach a photo below from when the Spray was in Sydney. The photo has quite good detail, I hope it's interesting if not actually useful. I believe he was given new sails here & these do look pretty good.

As an aside, our sailing club has a "Captain Slocum Trophy Race", the connection is that a member of the club was thought to be the first person aboard the Spray in Sydney. When he was about 10 & was fishing with friends near the heads when an unknown boat came in. They rowed over & went aboard. I am friends with the son of that boy, the son is now around 95 - at the last count.....

Mark

807141708_IMG_2348copy.thumb.png.0f899ee1afb796eacfd448c01f74be60.png

Thank you

The semi-finished deck has been placed but not glued down. I've rough cut the viewing holes so the entire below decks areas will be visible to see exactly how Slocum lived, ate, slept,  and subsisted during his epic voyage.

IMG_5466.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Looking excellent!!...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

I've installed the aft rigging to accept the yawl's mizzen mast

IMG_5481.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Thanks! It's a bit of a struggle since having no decent detailed plans has me constantly searching the internet looking at models and real time pics so I get The Spray as close to what Joshua Slocum sailed in.

Installed the bowsprit and made hawse holes installed mizzen mast and winch

IMG_5486.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG

IMG_5484.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

I've installed and rigged the anchor and modified the wheel to be at the same angle as the rudder post. I was a few degrees off the first time

IMG_5489.JPG

IMG_5488.JPG

I've re-rigged the anchor and winch to make it more realistic I'm also startin Slocum's dingy by pre-shaping the sides to fir the bottom. I'm dry fitting his pot bellied stove

IMG_5492.JPG

IMG_5491.JPG

IMG_5490.JPG

Slocum's books are now on his shelf, a light to read by at night, bedding in place, rifle hung up, sails in the sail locker, chain in the chain locker and I'm still building his small boat.

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

I've rough finished Slocum's small boat. Now I have to finish and paint it. 

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5506.JPG