Clarification of wolding for the Victory Cross Section

rtropp

I am about to add the wolding (cross bands with no number in the plans??) to the mainmast of the Corel Victory cross section.  The mast has what they refer to as "mast finishing.

These are a pair of long, vertical strips and a pair of short vertical strips. It appears that the wolding goes under the long pair (part 60) and over the short pair (part 59). 

Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks,

Richard

wolding.thumb.jpg.cd4d523e2e55f66db2f9cfdd4a737668.jpg

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hi Richard,

Based on the written description and detailed lower mast drawings in Lees' Masting and Rigging English Ships of War, pages 3 and 4 here is some information to consider.   After 1800 the wooldings consisted of both iron hoops and iron bands. The iron bands go under both the cheeks (#59) and the rubbing paunch (#60) .  Alternating with the bands, the iron hoops go over the cheeks  and under the rubbing paunch.  At the top of the masts there are  four battens.  The battens go over the hoops.   The hoops/bands on the drawing you show are presumably iron bands as prior to 1800, the wooldings were pairs of wooden hoops with rope wound between them which would have gone over the cheeks.  You mention a pair of part 60 which is the rubbing paunch.  There should only be one on the foreside of each of the three lower masts so it is a little confusing as to why they call for a pair of them.  Hope this is a little help for you.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan,

I appreciate the help.

I have obtained a copy of Lee's book and it is going to be very helpful as I try to work my way through masts and rigging.  

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Glad to help out Richard.  The other sections of the book on the rigging, belaying, and more are extremely useful.   For sizing, the last portion of the book gives a series of ratios for the masts, spars, and rigging lines.   Remember rope sizing is always given in the book in circumference, not diameter!!   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU