Jump to content

Saettia by Kondzik - WAK 7-8/2015 - 1:100 CARD


Recommended Posts

Hi.

 

I've decided that it is time to end period of inactivity after finishing Allege and start new project. I've decided to try my skills at building card kit of Saettia, small transport vessel from Genoa, used from end of XIII until XVIII century in western parts of Mediterranean Sea. Kit was designed in 1:100 scale by Tomasz Weremko aka Seahorse and published by WAK issue 7-8/2015.

This time I've decided to use laser cut frames. Since these parts are made of beermat cardstock, which is nice to cut with scalpel but awful when sanded with sandpaper (it is very soft), all parts were soaked through in nitro based varnish. After drying parts got a bit more stiffnes and stopped falling apart when sanded. Currently whole frame is glued and ready for covering with deck and sanding before first layer of skin.

 

Cover of the kit:

D7200_20200920_112519_3534.thumb.jpg.341686350cddd83467c3e330889195dd.jpg

Hull frame:

D7200_20200920_113021_3539.thumb.jpg.806b2b767a8064c7294a9b82a4a46c11.jpgD7200_20200920_113034_3542.thumb.jpg.4ab9de23bdb73664d7ae04fe6f709431.jpgD7200_20200920_113127_3554.thumb.jpg.e35618246fe892f1ede9af7135cb5567.jpgD7200_20200920_113145_3557.thumb.jpg.06f29bb1a590e08381a4bbc58c1ff33e.jpgD7200_20200920_113203_3560.thumb.jpg.422ce79b2bc9458a090566d770100337.jpgD7200_20200920_113240_3572.thumb.jpg.f2ac572924c738267023543cab410cbf.jpgD7200_20200920_113523_3587.thumb.jpg.8139acaac81f8e3c7ef66e77c0534ae5.jpgD7200_20200920_113251_3575.thumb.jpg.77b1f4349d8353f2b937afe13fd74d13.jpgD7200_20200920_113307_3578.thumb.jpg.12719fab4c43529de80cfe1c3a0a6201.jpgD7200_20200920_114012_3668.thumb.jpg.90ad26cc8a5effdb98857dce302a1591.jpgD7200_20200920_113103_3548.thumb.jpg.88cbd806fd9c642a40e190fd1b9f2f52.jpgD7200_20200920_113230_3569.thumb.jpg.178551a62cc966ff6514e246b754811a.jpg

Till next time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I continue to be amazed at the accuracy of your work. As for me, I still struggle with the sanding of card: it just comes out as a rough mess no matter what grade of carborundum paper I use, so my planking looks a real mess although the fitting is fine. Do you have any advice about better sanding?

 

Tony

Link to post
Share on other sites

As bigpetr said, soaking is the way to go, especially with this kind of card form which laser cut parts are made (it goes by the name beermat here). CA glue is OK if you don't care about potential discoloration (which is fine for frames) and if you are not allergic to its fumes. Since I am allergic I've decided to try something different and I soaked through all laser cut parts in a can of nitro lacquer. It is not as hard as with CA so it is easier to sand but nitro helps keep its structure. I've also painted all printed parts with two layers of nitro. I use 180 grit sandpaper and miniscule amounts of pressure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies. I agree about the frames and internal structures. These I have covered with nitrocellulose and the slight roughness after sanding doesn't matter. The problem is the external sides of the hull planking, which I also varnished. Perhaps I'm not using enough varnish/nitrocellulose. I've been wary of covering the external hull with CA as I wondered about the impact on the acrylic paint I use when I then apply it. However, I'll practice on some scrap -- something I should have done in the first place!

 

Tony

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not try it myself yet, but some paper modelers soak the whole sheets of paper from the book (before cuting the parts) with nitrocelulose so it goes through the paper to the other side. So I think you do not have to worry about amount of the varnish. More the better in this case. Better to test it on some scraps as you wrote.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little bit of window joinery

Without "glass":

D7200_20201015_163343_4318.thumb.jpg.1c4a0d57ce49e9116bf6634f38d1ca91.jpg

And with "glass":

D7200_20201018_110246_4330.thumb.jpg.521b730668f61089123b57c917b5a169.jpg

D7200_20201018_172655_4345.thumb.jpg.07963915188a820d7a9e1972fd746376.jpg

D7200_20201018_172800_4348.thumb.jpg.84065e7c390f680de79434dd9dfdbce7.jpg

"Glass" was made of thin, transparent foil used to package laser cut parts and after gluing and some masking sprayed with glossy acrylic lacquer.

 

Currently I'am preparing to close stern cabin with side windows and deck. I've made small error while fitting middle horizontal part but this little sin will be hidden with sides.

D7200_20201021_175757_4351.thumb.jpg.73ddb53a3133b6bb7ff362e949f4ba62.jpg

D7200_20201021_180039_4359.thumb.jpg.f2818b88eb42124adfa9ac5542138512.jpg

D7200_20201021_180119_4364.thumb.jpg.57befa740365a9762401ca2ff5096f70.jpg

D7200_20201021_180223_4368.thumb.jpg.933d9907191030813866a708cf1c9fdb.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...