USF Confederacy by cdrusn89 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64

After almost four weeks of suffering from "model fatigue" I finally got back to the Confederacy. Plus I had to take advantage of the "nice" (compared to the summer) weather to get some outside projects done. So several hundred square feet of pavers, two outdoor swing assemblies and a couple of cans of paint later I find that working on the model has much more appeal than it had a month ago.

When I left off I was almost done with the upper bulkwarkm planking on the out hull. So the first step is to get the last dozen or so pieces of bulwark planking installed.

I was unable to duplicate to instructions edict to use the 15th stake of planking as the top of the quarterdeck bulwark. I planked above that (two planks in some areas and the marked where the top of the gun ports should be (10mm up from the sill) and then faired a line through those marks for the top of the bulwarks. Clearly there is not a single row of planking that marks the top but...

I sanded both sides with 100 grit paper and wiped it down with paint thinner to see what it looked like and here it is:

IMG_0800.thumb.jpeg.5884353ddd24a9a8d1af8792c28c51a8.jpeg

IMG_0801.thumb.jpeg.9766719f9a03e8026ecf78b5e65b165f.jpeg

The blue tape was to protect the stem while sanding the bow planking.

Next with the 220 grit and then a thin coat of Wipe-on-Poly to help define the plank rows while I struggle with the "Fancy" molding. I noted from Bossman's log that the lower row of molding has to be removed in the way of the channels so I think maybe I will wait and install that at the same time as the channels. I looked ahead in the instructions and do not see any "fatal flaw" in waiting. But then the fatal flaws you don't see are the ones you have to deal with...

I am "on the fence" on the treenails on the hull. If I do it at all I will only do the starboard side so If I don't like the "look" I can turn it around in the display case.

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

Current Build -  HMS Sphinx 1775

Prior Builds:  HMS Winchelsea

USF Confederacy

Very nice. I like your idea of substituting the supplied wood with pear - it has a beautiful colour.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

Thanks Captain.

The Wipe-on-Poly finish does not make the Swiss pear as dark as the paint thinner does but it is certainly darker than the pear without any finish.

Here is one of the ship's boats with pear planking and walnut stripe. Hopefully this is close to what the ship's hull will look like.

IMG_2340 2.JPG

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Gary, she is really looking great! As for the fancy rail. It might be hard to get a nice flowing curve putting it on in pieces. At least is is with me. The reason I had a tough time is I used boxwood which was hard to cut on the model. If you are using basswood for the fancy rail, I would not hesitant using a full strip for the lower one. A chisel will cut it like butter. If I would have looked forward in the directions, I would have marked off the channel wales and not applied glue to the fancy rail in that area. Hind sight is always 20/20.!

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

Bossman - Thanks, I was planning on using Boxwood as you did. I will carefully place the glue where it will (hopefully) make getting it off when the time comes.

Following the instructions I added the three additional 5/32" planks at the below the two that started the bulwark planking.

Here is the port side.

IMG_0804.thumb.jpeg.3f064eb43765b78207168c0588744731.jpeg

I am trying to decide whether to add the additional wales planks now or wait. It is my intention to make the additional main wales planks out of walnut (and stained with walnut stain) rather than painting them black. I am starting to think it might be best to do that now and then get at least one coat of WoP on the entire assembly before doing the hull planking.

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Bossman - Thanks, I was planning on using Boxwood as you did. I will carefully place the glue where it will (hopefully) make getting it off when the time comes.

Following the instructions I added the three additional 5/32" planks at the below the two that started the bulwark planking.

Here is the port side.

IMG_0804.thumb.jpeg.3f064eb43765b78207168c0588744731.jpeg

I am trying to decide whether to add the additional wales planks now or wait. It is my intention to make the additional main wales planks out of walnut (and stained with walnut stain) rather than painting them black. I am starting to think it might be best to do that now and then get at least one coat of WoP on the entire assembly before doing the hull planking.

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

After some consideration I decided to add the four rows of 5/32 X 1/16" planking to the main wales before proceeding further on the hull planking.

I used walnut material that I cut to the required dimension and had stained with walnut Minwax stain to get it closer to black. I am not sure what planet I thought I lived on that would allow me to just glue these pieces on over the basswood and be "done". Obviously there is some (in places a good bit) of sanding that had to be done to get the walnut pieces to conform to the underlying planks.

I am now on the fence about whether to add the walnut stain or just go to the WoP now that I have the walnut back to the unstained state (after what seemed like considerable sanding). Here is the stbd side with the walnut in place and the rest of the hull protected by masking tape in case I decide to go with the walnut stain. I have pieces of 5/32 X 1/32 walnut (with the stain) ready to install as the "Black strake" but can go with Swiss pear as well if that looks better.

IMG_0805.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Starboard side bulwarks and wales are complete. I will wait on the upper wales until I get the treenails done - easier to keep things aligned (I hope).

And yes I did notice that one of the gunport doors has come out - no idea where it went or when it came adrift. Another "project" to add to the list.

I decided to use the same walnut for the "black strake" as for the wales (but 1/32" instead of 1/16").

Stern did not come out as well as I had hoped but it will "do".

Working the port side now.

Will do the treenails on the starboard side. To keep from going crazy I may start the stove or some other piece while working the treenails. I am having trouble imaging drilling the thousands of holes (not to mention sanding the entire bulwarks again) without something else to break up the job.

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Although I put a piece of Swiss pear under the wales I have decided to use Holly for the hull planking. The near white color will (hopefully) not need painting to simulate the tallow mixture that was used before coppering. It will also provide additional incentive to do a good job on the planking since there will be no opportunity to cover up errors with paint or filler.

So I replaced the piece of Swiss pear on the starboard side and started with Holly on the port side.

I have to mill the 80 or so 24" pieces of Holly I will need for the hull planking but had a few pieces I milled as a "test" so decided to start with them.

I can mill the holly to spell myself from doing the treenails on the starboard side.

Here is a shot of the Holly on the port side.

IMG_0821.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Treenails are not much fun. Especially if you do not carefully read the instructions on the product you choose to fill the holes.

Based on the color I planned on using Minwax "WoodPutty" ,in the Golden Oak color to fill the holes in the Swiss pear.

IMG_0829.thumb.jpeg.76a788602d99603ae8c8723e563faa17.jpeg

However, this product (after you read the instructions on the back) "Will not harden to a sandable surface." I had used this product on a small sample board and apparently never noticed an issue. However, when I tried it on a section of the bulwarks it did not work out so well. I eventually had to drill out all the holes a second time and apply the Minwax Wood FILLER which luckily comes in the same Golden Oak color.

IMG_0832.thumb.jpeg.d7d83478ae3121aa732f24180fcbb4fe.jpeg

So here is a section with the correct filler.

IMG_0831.thumb.jpeg.6944ed9de6c4e7cd01aea96a39a7bbe5.jpeg

And here with the filler sanded down

IMG_0834.thumb.jpeg.035d78faeb6f12540d7f9ee8bc0f211d.jpeg

The real test comes after the WoP is applied but I am reluctant to do that until the entire hull has all the treeenails installed (including in the upper wales which will be installed after the rest of the hull/bulwarks are treenailed).

But here is what the sample looked like. (The left side used walnut filler which I judged to be too dark).

1166505492_IMG_08352.thumb.jpeg.e1251306af4eafa06bba44cf8480e889.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

While continuing the seemly endless treenail hole marking, drilling, sanding, filling and sanding again (and again) I have been working on the port side (no treenails on the port side) too.

I got the upper wales installed and sanded and the black strake so this side is pretty much done as far as the bulwark structure and planking are concerned. So here is the port side after a wipe down with paint thinner to approximate what it will look like after the WoP.

IMG_0839.thumb.jpeg.5a00ac521b3b527020f67eb07f8e75d8.jpeg

The dark line along the center of the bulwark is the shadow of the upper wales from the overhead lights. I had to look after I saw the picture to make sure it was not something else (aka BAD!).

So next for the port side is the "Fancy" molding. I decided to use boxwood for the molding as it is much easier to use the molding cutters on than the basswood. I used Artisia Latina cutters instead of the ones that came with the kit. I was going to use some 1/16" X 1/16" boxwood strips I had on hand but the Latina cutters are sized in metric (the double round - similar to what comes with the kit) is sized for 2mm X 2mm blanks. Rather than run the risk of the center "wandering around" on the marginally narrower 1/16" boxwood I cut some 2mm X 2mm blanks and they worked like a charm. The cutter generates a considerable amount of heat when you pull a 24" length of boxwood through. Enough to surprise me as I held one finger on top of the blank to keep it pressed onto the cutter.

Anyway I cut the molding for the port side and left the setup in place as I will have  to do the starboard side soon (hopefully).

Here are two shots of the first run of the Fancy molding on the port side. I did not glue the ends down as it is not clear where the molding will end, especially at the stern.

IMG_0840.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I am really tired of drilling holes for treenails. I am about half done on the stbd side and have been focusing on the port side to avoid more "holes'>

So I completed the molding that runs along the lowest railing is place (see pictures above).

I cut some short (1/2 - 3/4") pieces of 1/4" x 1/16" stock to act as spacers and used them to clamp the lower piece of molding, spacer and upper molding in place. Then I put drops of thin CA on the junction of the lower molding and the hull planking being carefully to not get any on the spacers. I used an applicator made from a sewing needle with half the eye filed off.

When the CA dried (almost instantly) I moved the spacers around and applied more thin CA where the spacers had been. If I had been smarter I would have marked the locations where the channels are going to be since lower molding only runs between the channels. Eventually I figured this out (thanks Bossman) and cut out the offending molding before I got any further down the road.

I am using walnut to "simulate" the areas painted black on the prototype so I ran some 1/4" wide walnut stock through the thickness sander down to a bit less than 1/32" thick. I applied walnut stain to get my stock a bit darker than it would be naturally and to reduce the variation in the color. At the moment it is just "wedged" between the two sets of molding. I plan to remove it and apply a couple of coats of WoP then glue it to the hull.

Here is what the port side looks like at the moment.

Now back to drilling treenail holes.

IMG_0842.jpeg

IMG_0844.jpeg

IMG_0843.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Pressing on with the treenailing.

In case anyone should be interested here is a description of how I did it. The instructions are pretty good but since I am using Swiss pear and not staining the kit supplied basswood I had to adapt them in some areas.

I picked the spacing for each vertical row of treenails from the plans and then replicated that spacing all along the hull. I had to be carefully not to put treenails in the sweep port doors and adapted a bit around the gun nports depending on where the vertical rows landed near them.

With the locations marked along the top of the bulwark I placed a strip of masking tape vertically and used my laser level to make sure the tape was "vertical".

IMG_0845.thumb.jpeg.71c57ec20eebf549c6903191a8dafd78.jpeg

IMG_0846.thumb.jpeg.9527387c9e47218e59908fc0bcb6ca59.jpeg

Then I used a shape 2H pencil to mark where each treenail would go, approx 1/32" down from the top and up from the bottom of each plank with the bottom one offset about 1/32" to the left of the upper one.

IMG_0847.thumb.jpeg.a878d8ee23f269b38f94160e8ef3eeab.jpeg

With the locations marked I used a sharp awl to make a shallow "divot" on each pencil mark. This makes it easier to get the drill started where you meant it to start. Do not ask how I came to this realization.

IMG_0848.thumb.jpeg.fbe7450eca8ec1f18c5ed0600776d98a.jpeg

Then I drilled out each hole with a #75 drill bit using my old Wen power screwdriver. Since it is rechargeable I find that one charge is good for about 300 holes so that provides a stopping point before muscle cramps become a serious issue.

IMG_0849.thumb.jpeg.26c2ed35c31c56f800ac3b37cbb5acbe.jpeg

I use the awl to clean out each hole.  After I get tired or the drill runs out of battery I sand the area with 220 sandpaper, vacuum with my small vacuum and then go back over each hole with the awl to clean out any remaining sawdust. Here is a section ready for filler.

IMG_0852.thumb.jpeg.72f3d3eb0fcc173012f7488b481d2ad0.jpeg

I use the Minwax wood FILLER (not putty) - Golden Oak color in this case. I squeeze a small amount onto the tongue depressor.

IMG_0853.thumb.jpeg.4523934768098a84eed82a6a38a59d58.jpeg

I use the small chisel to apply the filler to the holes trying to keep it off the surrounding planks as much as possible.

50S5D.thumb.jpeg.c72157613ab42da39037d526e7b04535.jpeg

Sorry for the upside down picture - it is right side up in my photo file and app. And changing the orientation in the photo app and reloading it does not change how it shows here. Go figure?

I use a chisel blade Xacto to remove as much of the surface filler as possible before it dries (which happens pretty quickly.

IMG_0856.thumb.jpeg.6cfbd67dbe3e8a346e1bbb7112e0b3d3.jpeg

Again sorry for the upside down picture

And here is a section after the filler has been applied. I will sand again with 220 (and maybe 320) before applying the Wipe-on-Poly finish.

IMG_0857.thumb.jpeg.b6725db2a9162898749c7a81753d2cc9.jpeg

Actually the treenails are more noticeable in the picture than in"real life" but it is probably the lighting in the shop or my aged eyes playing tricks.

Anyway this is how I am doing the treenails. Certainly not the only way just MY way.

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Treenails are complete except for on the upper wales which I am in the process of installing. I wiped the side down with paint thinner for the picture. I think the treenails will not be as noticeable with just WoP.

IMG_0860.thumb.jpeg.41cf08d0548768c95f8d635acd656b1d.jpeg

I discovered that I had misplaced the fancy molding on the port side. The upper piece that spans the entire hull forms the side of the cap rail amidships - I had it even with the top of the bulwark amidships - the bottom of the fancy molding should be even with the TOP of the bulwark. Luckily the thin CA I used (sparingly) was relatively easy to get off the hull. Just needed some clean-up sanding to get back to a suitable starting point.

I clamped a piece of 1/16" thick stock to the top of the bulwark amidships so the fancy molding will be even with the top of this piece. Here is the port side molding clamped in place awaiting CA. I will get this done once I get the upper wales on the starboard side (and it treenails) completed.

IMG_0861.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I finished the upper wales and their treenails and added the "Fancy" molding for the lower two sections. I marked the hull where the channels will go and avoided gluing the lower molding in those areas (thanks Bossman). I used walnut veneer (something less than 1/32" thick) in between the fancy molding instead of paint . This is similar to what I did on the ship's boats and on the lower wales where I used walnut for the second layer instead of painting them.

On to the port side fancy molding and then the "moment of truth" the first coat of Wipe-on-Poly.

IMG_0872.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

The moment of truth - first coat of WoP.

Here is the port (non-treenailed) side. I am waiting until this is dry to do the treenailed stbd side because I had to turn the a/c off to avoid blowing air on the port side.

IMG_0874.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Here is the starboard side.

IMG_0875.thumb.jpeg.1bc885604a660b541f02234505dfca6b.jpeg

IMG_0876.thumb.jpeg.d2656745e5bbad1998617f770bfa12c9.jpeg

IMG_0877.thumb.jpeg.a1677a578922c80142bc92146ae71270.jpeg

The treenails are perhaps a little more "noticeable" than I would have preferred but this is with only one coat of WoP. Perhaps the additional coats (3 total) will dim them down a little bit more.

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I have truly started on planking the hull.

I cut approx 100 pieces of Holly to 1/8" X 1/16" X 24" to use for the vast majority of the planking. I also cut several  3/16" X 1/16" pieces for the garboard strake and reserved some stock in case I decide to use some 1/4" wide stock to avoid stealers at the stern.

I also built the plank bending jig provided in the kit and also build the plank bender that Chuck uses for the Winchelsea planking video.

I did some "test" fitting on the port side and discovered that between bulkheads G and E that the 1/16" thick planking might not be thick enough to avoid at least a thin spot (at worst a "hole") so I cut some planks with some extra "meat" in them (.09" thick instead of .0625"). That created the problem of tapering the additional thickness down to the 1/16" going aft but I think I got that accomplished.

I installed the two garboard strakes so I could make the measurements at amidships. I got 4.25 inches so I should have 34 .25" planks between the wales and garboard strake. Here is a shot of the two garboard stakes.

868D4E89-17C2-43ED-9E68-F3051CE8C48B_1_105_c.jpeg.8edd72692e35637219dad47fc31cc72d.jpeg

I color coded the internal bulkheads to make keeping track of where the planking joints would be a little easier (I lose count easily). As directed in the instructions the garboard stakes end at bulkhead E.

I "adjusted" the forward ends of three "beefy" planks so they would fit in the stem slot and then tapered them per the instructions (1/64" over the first 4"). Well actually I took the .125" width down to .100 "at the stem end. I bent them using the Winchelsea "hot iron" techniques and dry fit them on the port side as the second, third and fourth planks below the wales (one "standard" plank was already there per the bulwark planking instructions - so I guess than means a total of 35 planks).  I marked each plank with where the taper to 1/16" had to be and ran that end through the thickness sander then tapered the plank to this thickness over the next bulkhead length.

With four planks in place I added an additional plank of "normal" thickness behind all but the lowest (highest in pictures as hull is upside down) and sanded to get things a semblance of smooth. I decided not to use the pencil substitute for caulk on the hull planks as I was afraid that the near white Holly would show the caulking too much. Plus I believe that the "slush" that was used on the bottoms would probably have made the caulk more difficult to distinguish.

So here is the port side with four planks in place, rough (100 grit) sanded and wiped down with paint thinner.

IMG_0904.thumb.jpeg.961862b236f79d5777a87b2c8d85d5a6.jpeg

IMG_0903.thumb.jpeg.9db5bc45f1345e2fa438b7c9aacd6cd2.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

The first planking belt is complete - 10 rows on starboard side and 11 on the port. I am one short on the starboard side as I ran out of milled 1/8" X 1/16" planks. Will add the additional row tomorrow after I mill some more holly. As it turns out (at least on my model) 10 rows extends to the center on both sides, the 11th plank is the first to end in the stern post rabbit.

Speaking of the stern post - I can't find where the instructions address it. The rudder is chapter 8 but I can't find where the stern post is addressed except it is clearly in place in the pictures of the stern and quarter galleries (chapter 7) and not addressed in chapter 6. I did a dry install of the stern post and found that I apparently have cut the keel too short - it should extend to the end of the stern post. I need to get this fixed before I glue and more planks into the keel rabbit. I guess I will replace the entire after section - ugh.

IMG_0918.thumb.jpeg.4784c24429a9ffcde80a0eebb9371d58.jpeg

And here is the first belt, sanded with 100 grit and wiped with paint thinner.

IMG_0915.jpeg

IMG_0913.jpeg

IMG_0912.jpeg

IMG_0914.jpeg

IMG_0916.jpeg

IMG_0917.jpeg

IMG_0911.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Band 2 on the stbd side completed.

I also extend the keel to cover the stern post. I just grafted a piece in rather than try and replace the entire after piece. It will be in the shadow of the hull and I may add the fake bolts also so it looks more like the other joints.

I had to make some pretty significant mods to the after filler pieces. Once I figured out where the planks had to go it became obvious that the filler blocks were to big and needed to be reduced so the planks were not making a very shape turn to fit into the stern rabbit.

Now for some measurements - I will line off the bulkheads for the final planks so (hopefully) I can avoid a series of weirdly shaped planks where they will be pretty visible.

Here is the stbd side in its current state.

IMG_0919.jpeg

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0922.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I sort of hate to admit it, but this is my first attempt at lining off the bulkheads for planking.

Since I thought it would be better to walk before I run so I only did the area forward of the cut out on the stbd side.

I followed the "conventional methodology" , measuring the length at each bulkhead and arriving at 12 planks as the number required at the widest point.

Then I used the "radiating fan" (see below, this is from the Winchelsea monologue modified for 1/8" wide planks) and the tick strips for each bulkhead to determine the spacing required at each bulkhead.

IMG_0931.thumb.jpeg.48bcd63d93febb58ba539d7c80c2fd22.jpeg

Then the marks on the tick strips are transferred to the appropriate bulkhead.

Here are the forward bulkheads as marked with a test plank being fitted. (The clamps are holding band two planks on the port side.)

IMG_0926.thumb.jpeg.9a4943b5d07117f86f7fdb038930d38f.jpeg

I used the measurements to determine the actual plank width at each bulkhead, marked the measurements on a piece of masking tape with the bulkhead locations.

IMG_0930.thumb.jpeg.3f797e01a05e09a35779eab43c894866.jpeg

(disregard the double "G"s. the right one should be "E" - it was late at night)

I used a 120 grit sanding stick and the digit calipers to get the first four planks (those that end at the cut-out) tapered as specified. Not looking forward to doing this for all 60 planks (12 rows with about 5 planks per row) but I have not had good success using a knife (Xacto or other) to taper planks that are this narrow to start.

Now for the acid test - do they match up with the marks on the bulkheads?

IMG_0932.thumb.jpeg.d5bc85da4c64b9e894b80ba395628b40.jpeg

IMG_0933.thumb.jpeg.70b2954d3dc996cd7aa7e18f06a7376c.jpeg

IMG_0934.thumb.jpeg.1c767fc69b54f864b567239d1b1736c1.jpeg

Here are three additional rows of planking dry fit.

Three out of four would make me MVP in either league of MLB.

Time to get the glue. FYI, the planks were in the kit supplied bending jig overnight, no water or steam just sitting in the jig.

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Besides messing around preping for band three on the stbd side I got band two on the port side done.

Again I had to slim down the filler piece at the stern to get the planks close enough to the bulkhead former so they will not stick out beyond the stern post. May still have some sanding to do there.

IMG_0935.jpeg

IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

IMG_0938.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Stbd side belt three complete to above (below) the cut-out.

I originally thought there would be four rows of planks in band three that were "short", i.e. ended at the cut-out. However, I forgot to end the fourth row with a bevel so I added one more row and it seemed to work out okay.

So here is the stbd side as it is today. Need six m ore rows. Slowly refining the methodology for tapering the planks.

IMG_0941.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

The current version of my jig for tapering the planks.

The slot toward the bottom and the clamp on the left hold the plank with about half the width above the board. The clamp keeps it from moving. I use the 100 grit sanding stick to taper the plank.

The two strips of masking tape are marked with the bulkhead locations (one each for forward and aft of the "0" bulkhead) with the calculated widths at each bulkhead.

I mark a plank with either set of bulkhead locations and then start sanding. I have to take the plank out of the groove five or six times to check the widths as I move from the narrow to wider end.

Six more planks for each end and then the stbd side should be complete.

IMG_0943.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Port side band 3, lined off and the first four planks (two starting at the bow and two at the stern) dry fitted.

Thinking about how to add a drop plank or two at the bow as the planks there would be ev en narrower than on the stbd side (where I added one drop plank).

IMG_0947.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I have been "dogging it" lately - too much baseball to watch.

So I got the first six rows (of the twelve remaining) on the port side completed.

Here is what it looks like. Bow appears as though I need to add a stealer but I am going to add a few more rows before deciding exactly what to do.

Getting close to hull planking completion - not a moment too soon. 

IMG_0956.jpeg

IMG_0954.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Port side planking completed!

Now for some sanding and fixing the keel (again). I messed up my original repair trying to get the interface with the stern post straight.

I am going to install the stern post now since I can't find anyplace in the instructions where it is shown and it is clearly in place when the rudder is installed in Chapter 8 and in all the pictures in Chapter 7.

So here is the port side as it stands now.

IMG_0960.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Speaking of the stern post - I decided that I needed to have one in the same wood (Holly) as the hull planking.

I used the kit material for the stem and keel and want to keep the keel, rudder and stem in the basswood (mostly because I have little faith in my ability to turn out a satisfactory version of the kit design in another material).

However, when this occurred to me I had already cut all the Holly I had into 1/8" wide pieces in preparation for cutting the hull planks. Since the stern post is 1/4" I had to glue up a billet from which to cut the stern post. I figured using a laminated piece would not show since the hull, rudder and keel cover the exposed sides - no harm no foul.

Here is the kit supplied stern post (not glued together) and the one I fabricated from Holly (glued together).

IMG_0964.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy