Lady Isabella by EKE - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Zulu

So I've been thinking about sails, and although I think the color of the tanned sailcloth came out just about perfect, they just look too...perfect.  I think they need to be weathered or antiqued a bit.  I am considering making a very diluted wash of brown/black acrylic paint, and with a wide, soft brush, painting on some vertically-streaked patina on the sails.  Not a lot of weathering, as I want it to be controllable, and I don't want it to look like I fussed with it too much.  But I think building up a bit of patina will feel more authentic.

What do you all think?  Any other ideas on how to achieve this?  Any and all recommendations gratefully welcome.

-E

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

I haven't tried this method at all and I don't know how it translates from the paper in this log to cloths, but have you thought about weathering powders at all?

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/15584-a-method-for-making-panelled-sails-using-paper/?tab=comments#comment-484457

Edited by VTHokiEE

Erik,

I think 'weathered sails' would look good.

Most of the old Zulu pics I've seen are B&W but still give an impression of the weathering pattern eg ...  https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/gallery/old-pictures-of-north-shields-7312242   

Maybe even more recent coloured pics of restored Zulus are beginning to show how sail weathering presents itself.  

Only thing is, if you weather the sails do you then have to weather the rest of the boat?

It's something I'd love to see  - a fully weathered Zulu built from a new kit. It's on my wishlist...in fact, not just weathered but well used and worn and patched up and repainted etc. I have no weathering skills but it's a skill I want to learn.

Richard

I have never weathered sails but personally I think the best way to simulate weathering is to speed up the earths natural processes.

Here’s what I would try, I would make another sail the same way you did the rest, as a test piece. Submerge it in hot salt water for a while, then take it outside and let it sit in the direct sun light, then tumble dry in the washer with no heat, then repeat. I’m making this up as I go but I think quickly simulating what a real sail would go through on a daily basis over and over and over should give you enough weathering to not look crisp and brand new. I would be weary though, it might look weird to have a clean build like yours with weathered sails!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.  When I talk about "weathering" these sails, I'm not talking about antiquing them so that they're looking like the Dead Sea Scrolls.  :)  I'm just talking about a subtle patina that will make them look a bit less like brand new cloth. I agree that my build is "clean", and the approach I've taken is to make the model appear to be a newly built, well-maintained version of the Zulu type.  So I think your thoughts on not wanting the sails to be discordant with that are right on.  Thanks for the input.

I'm going to experiment a bit this weekend with a VERY diluted wash of brown/black to see what I can achieve. 

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve been able to work on the Zulu.  Been swamped with architecture, and modeling has had to take a temporary hiatus.  However, I finally got a weekend where I didn’t have to work 👌.  So I started back in on getting the sails done.

I decided not to attempt the weathering wash.  I was convinced by a few of you who suggested that my build was “clean” and that weathering the sails might be a discordant note.  Also, I was terrified about possibly screwing them up irreparably. 😬

But I have started installing the reefing ties.  I decided to follow BE’s lead, and glue individual knotted ties to each side of the sail.  This allows them to hang in a more scale-like, natural way.  My process has been:   Tie a knot in the cord, carefully apply a tiny drop of thin CA to the knot to set it, cut the excess close to the knot, then trim the tie to the correct length (15 mm).  Then I apply another tiny drop of CA to the end of the tie to keep it from fraying.  Then I carefully apply a tiny dot of PVA to the knot, and place it in the right spot on the sail.

Repeat 234 times. 

The results look really good so far.  This is going to take a while, though.  I’ll check back in with you all in six months or so when I’m done.  😆

08801AA2-BBE1-4B67-8499-ACB6BBF889FE.jpeg

417D18ED-AFC0-418C-9FFE-7346FB188780.jpeg

899F208F-56B2-4F86-A5A3-39F0B19F9DB6.jpeg

3111D841-6DBF-471D-B204-F21FB119E8F0.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Looks great, Erik.

Ooof...those repetitive tasks in ship modeling like you are now doing are my least favorite to do. Adding some 650+ simulated nails to my Medway Longboat with black monofilament seemed like it went on forever. It was worth it in the end but it made me mutter to myself in explicit language before I was done!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a small update.  It took me a week or so of evening work, but I finished the reefing ties on the main and mizzen sails.  This was accomplished during evening sessions of a hour or so, after work, where I’d make myself a cocktail and glue tiny little knotted ties to the sail.  Tedious, but strangely satisfying.  I think it came out quite well.  The ties look correct to me, and they hang in a natural fashion.  Success.

A couple things I learned:  It became apparent that a figure-8 knot worked better than a half-hitch.  The resulting knot was a bit larger, and it lays flatter to the fabric when gluing the tie on.  Also, setting the knot with a small drop of CA helps make sure it doesn’t come untied, and allows you to trim the extra thread right up close to the knot.

Now that this task is behind me, next up will be to lash on some very small rings at the edge of each row.  There would have been bronze rings lashed to the luff and leech of the sails to tack the sail and to attach the sheet after reefing, so I’ll add those. Then on to real rigging!

25A6530F-880E-4C85-B532-ADDDBE9B8E55.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve finally found some time to make some progress on the rigging.  As with most of this build, this is new to me, so I’m learning as I go, and every little bit seems to require me diving into the forum here, or Edgar March’s book, or the internet, to do research on best practices.  But my sailing experience helps, because I can answer some of the questions just by asking myself, “what would make sense”.  :)  Of course, if anyone has any recommendations, I’m “all ears”.

Tied the mainsail to the yard, constructed the parrel, and I was finally able to set the sail on the mast.  I inserted a stainless steel wire into the hem at the foot of the sails so that they would take a proper sailing shape.  This seems to have worked well.

I have completed the halyard, the burton stay and the main sheet.   It took me a while to figure out a technique for building the blocks, but I arrived at at method that I believe is pretty accurate without being too challenging.  For the blocks requiring a becket attachment,  I threaded on a tiny 2mm ring, and seized it into the right position.  Where splices were required, I wove the end of the line into the standing part, pulled everything tight, twisted the line a tad, and set it into place with a drop of CA.  This seems to be a pretty good simulation of a scale splice.

Where the attachments for the standing ends seemed to make sense as knots, I tied bowlines.  Where the running end of the line would be made fast to an attachment point, like the bulwark rail, I tied them off by wrapping them several times around the rail and using a slip knot to make it fast.  That’s what I’d do if I were the crew... the halyard and burton would need to be easily removable so that they could be shifted to the other side of the boat during a tack or a gybe.  I left an appropriate amount of tail on the lines, and when everything is done and snugged up, I plan to coil and stow the tails in a seamanlike manner.

Below are some photos.  On to the jib and mizzen, and then we’ll be nearing the end!  
-E

BC7A01CE-8C34-467A-AA67-40E9AE3274FC.jpeg

4623CA30-18F1-48FB-B66D-B4F293C60F0B.jpeg

F29E99A3-88BE-442E-93D3-D48F8F53BB98.jpeg

8E34195A-AB7B-4A75-913B-BA818D098CED.jpeg

799CCCB2-D5F4-4ACD-86FA-B74E81E36429.jpeg

9C62577D-C0D7-47A9-842D-CDBDBA286985.jpeg

279099FD-81FD-4C9F-A34D-3A66F72A1643.jpeg

867315F8-CD67-4A84-92F4-2CABF8D55EBA.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s an update on the rigging, which is nearing completion.  I’ve installed both the jib and the mizzen lug now,  so the sail plan is now complete.  I still have to build and install the block and tackle for the mizzen halyard,  and then I’ll be cleaning up the tails of all the rigging lines, making up some rope coils for some of the lines which are tied off to the bulwark rails, and I’ll be coiling some of the lines on deck in a Flemish-like working fashion.  I’ve been reading some of the posts here on the forum about techniques for making natural looking rope coils, so I’ll be trying to use some of that knowledge.  

BF1479 Fidelity is nearing completion.  My next post will be photos of the completed model.  As always, I’m grateful for all of you who have helped and encouraged me on this journey.  

EEF60482-01A3-41A7-A644-A672A886A7F9.jpeg

29C53879-B5A0-4188-B8D0-FC143C634879.jpeg

F1FFDE82-8A3E-41FE-8855-31847962B87D.jpeg

262B29F8-C425-4A83-8EE8-E38D838ADB9B.jpeg

5C3D182F-4F65-4FB1-9F4C-7654713153E1.jpeg

F7802F8B-0417-4FB0-9E96-EE54E74E6C46.jpeg

9830827B-1C14-40BB-A9DE-E3540A2BD3B6.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Ok.  I fibbed to you all about this next post being photos of the completed model.  I thought it would be interesting to share my experience creating coiled sheet tails.  I learned a lot, and mastered a few techniques that I think are effective. 

I made all the tails of the rigging lines fast to their appropriate places on the hull, either to cleats or to the bulwark rail.  I got everything snugged up tight and once it all looked good, I set the knots and trimmed the tails close.  My goal is to then create coiled tails separately, and install them so that they appear to be the tails of the rigging lines.

I’ve been using some clear lacquer-based nail polish to set knots and to “train” the rigging thread, and it’s been successful.  It’s quite viscous, and I find it much more controllable than CA.  It dries very quickly, yet it doesn’t kick off all at once like CA, so you have a bit of time to manipulate things.  Also, when it’s set up, it’s a bit less stiff than dry CA, so you retain some flexibility.  

I created two different styles of coiled line tails.  One style is simply a circular coil laying flat on the deck.  Not a true Flemish coil, which is too fussy for a working boat, but a looser coil that looks quickly-but-neatly laid down by a crew member.  These I made by wrapping the thread 8-9 times around the end of a dowel, and then pushing it off onto a sheet of waxed paper.  Then I gently painted the coil with the clear polish, and teased it into a natural-looking shape.  The polish dries in about 7-10 minutes.

59CB8E76-B90D-48BE-A3FB-25F5BD5EBE9A.jpeg

A2367F65-A959-4B7D-971E-97191C51C5C8.jpeg
EA126560-F8E2-4AEE-BA2B-A1F2E8CCF3DA.jpeg

The other style is a coil done up more neatly, to be hung from a cleat or the bulwark rail.  For these, I made up a little jig from a scrap of wood and some nails.  I wrapped the thread around the nails 8-9 times, and then lashed around the coil at one end.  This is a method of storing the running tail of a line with which every sailor is familiar.  Once completed, I painted the coil with polish while it’s on the jig, and then when dried, I pulled them off.  I trim one free end a bit short of the end of the coil, and then the other end will be carefully glued to the attachment point.

This all seems to have been pretty successful.  I’ll post some more photos when the coils are installed on the model.  

52DBFB5E-B876-45F7-9035-C72CDD9D1BB3.jpeg

ED60D675-6424-4074-9F7C-8DB277695005.jpeg

5415680C-DB5F-4AB1-A1B9-22B12363B57B.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

She's looking very neat indeed Erik...quite classy in fact.

I feel that these small working vessels are bursting with personality and your's is no exception.

And your ropes look good also. At the moment I'm winding my rope coils on a 1/8" screwdriver shaft, squidging in some PVA to bind the coils and then gingerly coaxing the coils of the end of the blade, and then a squeeze between fingertips to make the coils lie flat'ish. But always looking for new methods 🙂

Richard

Thanks Richard!

I've made my long coils 1/2" long, which at 1:64 scale is 36".  I figure that's a proper length for a crewman to have made up. 

I really do like the nail polish for locking things in.  Great stuff.

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Well, my Zulu, BF 1479 Fidelity is finished.  

This has been a really fun and informative journey, which began when I received this kit at the end of last August.  Despite a very busy professional and family life, I’ve managed to prioritize enough time to keep construction moving forward, slowly and steadily, and it paid off.

Since my last update, I snugged up all of the rigging, fixed it in place using the clear nail polish, completed the sheet and line tails, and trimmed all lines to proper length.  

I am really feeling good about how she turned out.  Although there are scores of things I would improve, and all sorts of things I’d do differently next time, I think that Fidelity came out really well, and is a pretty authentic representative of the Zulu type.  The way the sails are set,  she appears to be charging home on a close reach, in the early morning breeze, her hold full of fish ready for market.

I hope that this build log and these photos are helpful to those who may be building this kit in the future.  I can’t speak highly enough about the quality and thoughtful detailing and engineering in this kit from Chris Watton at Vanguard.  I think this is a perfect first project for someone wanting to get into this hobby, and it’s designed to help set that person up for success.  I’ve learned so much from building it, and absorbing the wisdom embodied in the design of this model.

Many thanks to all of those who have helped me along the way, notably Chris Watton, James Hatch, Bob Garcia, Rik Thistle and Blue Ensign. Here’s some photos of Fidelity, including one showing her in her new home on the console table in the entry of our house.  

C7176E8E-075B-4E02-9C23-A0BA0ED6C424.jpeg

26B71E74-B424-4793-9F16-6AEE35576893.jpeg

61585AB2-BFE5-4CDD-A6FF-AE5FB04F9935.jpeg

0B2B2699-0A71-42B8-95B6-AB16EFDD10A8.jpeg

FBC0F398-1A57-418A-8E6B-D40ABF7255A4.jpeg

EC91A191-B172-4A57-96B8-BD34565D2CE4.jpeg

BDA663D1-5EE5-41EE-9DD4-11873014C6E8.jpeg

67EDC681-0168-4C85-A90E-457F959C8159.jpeg

E389298F-95B6-4EF5-9F6E-1524367D0489.jpeg

0AF327D0-11ED-4A16-9214-A1F0CAFC309B.jpeg

201E0E92-0E01-4F8A-8878-CCE80641A4B4.jpeg

38E2F9B6-4B9A-414B-A699-8FB7A42A3AAF.jpeg

C5619100-9C10-40B8-8A45-68C28AB4BC6C.jpeg

811523D6-0885-4408-9BFF-247849D1F432.jpeg

26E00376-1E33-4997-9EB7-FE81ACDFECDD.jpeg

2B3AF4D3-21A5-4837-AB99-8F73E959B485.jpeg

DDBA1E96-6A41-4C27-A91E-8BF7BB46A4B6.jpeg

48F56F35-8C74-4B74-813D-EBE1CE4C303A.jpeg

AE35C826-593A-43E0-AB97-17A19C0E9180.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Erik,

Congratulations on a top class finish.

She really looks the part and the colour scheme is very fitting.

The minimalist setting in the last pic draws the eye in to her, and (in my mind)  creates a diorama of her sailing out into a wide open sea....quite absorbing and relaxing.

Richard

Wow, Erik, she's absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on building such a fine model. You've done her and Chris Watton proud!

I have this model and, after watching you and BE build her, I think she may well be the next model in line for me. I'll be bringing up the rear though since the two of you have set the bar so high...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for all the kind words, my friends.  Seriously, I could not have finished this as successfully without all of your critique and support.  I’m grateful!

James...you ask what’s next?  Well, a bit of a break from ship modeling, as I have now been fully vaccinated, and I’ll be wanting to reconnect with some full-size sailboat racing, which is now required for my sanity.  :)  And also radio-controlled sailboat racing - I have to do a lot of sailing to collect enough points to qualify for the US National Championships in August in San Diego, and because of COVID, I’m way behind.  

But ship modeling has hooked me, for sure.  I have two kits on the shelf right now... a Vanguard Flirt, and a Dapper Tom from Model Shipways.  So after a short hiatus, I’ll be starting in on one of those.  

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

50 minutes ago, James H said:

Cheers, that really is a beauty. Now I see her when I visit the site 😁

...at least for a little while.  Yea!  Enjoy it while it lasts.  :D

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Erik, she’s absolutely beautiful, small wonder you have her on display as people enter the house.  I’m impressed by your rope-work and that the nail polish you have used is not obvious at all in the photographs.  Would you mind sharing the details of the product you used?  The bottle coyly has it back to us in one of the phots, and I can see it’s an OPI product from Coty, and appears to be available in the UK.  But that doesn’t narrow it down much!  Anyway, well done on the build.

Mike