Lady Isabella by EKE - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Zulu

I finished the red oxide bottom paint.  Just pulled off the masking and the tape line.  Looks pretty good!  Four coats of paint, with a bit of light filling in between.  This came out about the way I was hoping.  Smooth, fair finish with a slight hit of the planking ghosting through.  

Next up are black topsides, and then the white boot stripe.  Then she’ll be looking like a proper ship.

Off to prepare a feast for my family.  I have much for which to be thankful.  Happy Thanksgiving to all!

AD121415-8499-419B-A36B-191AE572A2B3.jpeg

CD48051F-EC43-4D14-AA8E-B5DC2D423ED3.jpeg

7148A853-A382-4575-8E60-9792FFABA5FB.jpeg

30E55B0E-E356-457B-A36A-7BCE26FEAB47.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

I’ve been testing three “poly” varnishes:

1.  Minwax “Polycrylic” water-based, matte finish

2. Varathane Polyurethane, water-based, satin finish

3.  Zar “Poly”, oil based, satin finish

I took a scrap piece of pearwood and tested them, two coats each.  Test shown below.  Top to bottom:  Minwax, Varathane, Zar.

A couple of observations:  the water-based products seem to change the color of the wood the least.  The Zar oil-based product results in a much richer, darker color.  Also, the Varathane “satin” finish is really no shinier than the matte products.  All three seem to be very easy to use, lay down beautifully with a good brush, and are easy to clean up.

I’d be interested in advice on which one to use.  I plan to coat the topsides of the hull with a coat of varnish before painting, and then the insides of the bulwarks and the deck will be varnished.  Thoughts?

749F0371-ADFB-4666-9240-8C4B2C232055.jpeg

CBE44453-D4C8-4536-B0C5-2E6B3123C0F5.jpeg

2E6C84E9-2692-4750-A19D-F4862C254C1A.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

5 hours ago, EKE said:

I finished the red oxide bottom paint.  Just pulled off the masking and the tape line.  Looks pretty good!  Four coats of paint, with a bit of light filling in between.  This came out about the way I was hoping.  Smooth, fair finish with a slight hit of the planking ghosting through.  

Next up are black topsides, and then the white boot stripe.  Then she’ll be looking like a proper ship.

Off to prepare a feast for my family.  I have much for which to be thankful.  Happy Thanksgiving to all!

AD121415-8499-419B-A36B-191AE572A2B3.jpeg

CD48051F-EC43-4D14-AA8E-B5DC2D423ED3.jpeg

7148A853-A382-4575-8E60-9792FFABA5FB.jpeg

30E55B0E-E356-457B-A36A-7BCE26FEAB47.jpeg

Looks stunning!!

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

1 hour ago, James H said:

I'm interested too. Minwax Wass recommended to me, but not sure it was water-based.

Jim, have you been using oil-based poly varnish? 

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

So I went ahead and used the Minwax varnish.  I thought it had the nicest color of the three choices on the pearwood.  I also tested it over the red oxide, and it seemed to be a nice matte/satin finish.  So I dove in, and brushed on a coat of Minwax on the inside of the bulwarks, and the entire exterior of the hull, bare wood and painted bottom.  Results below.

I think the Minwax poly varnish is great so far.  It comes out of the can a milky white, but dries crystal clear.  As it dries, it seems to self-level and smooth out, so that the finished surface shows almost no brush marks.  Very nice. And the finish is has a slight touch of satin sheen, subtle but noticeable.  I think it’s perfect for model boats.  And the cleanup is super easy, as it’s water based.  Great stuff, if you ask me.

It seems to dry to a very hard, durable finish, as far as I can tell.  I’ll be adding a few more coats after the paint is complete.  

On to masking and painting the black topsides.

8F7ACF58-9660-45AF-9010-A213C934A117.jpeg

A53DA164-D55D-44EC-B319-D54DEE530DF1.jpeg

C611D580-F7A6-417B-BDB4-D512BAEAFEF7.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

I’ve completed the topsides paint, and damn if she’s not starting to look like a proper Zulu!

I spent a crazy amount of time with tiny sanding sticks, cleaning up around the strakes to remove glue crust.  It was worth it though, as I think it came out pretty clean.  I carefully masked the deck area, bulwarks, and bottom, and sprayed two coats of the Chaos Black aerosol that James recommended.  Great paint, excellent coverage.  And Jim, you were absolutely right, the finish is just what I was looking for, a lovely satin.  Just right for a working boat.  

I brought the black close to the waterline, but not quite to it, as you can see. I wasn't super careful with the mask line for the black, as as I'll be painting over it.  The edges will be covered by the boot stripe.  Next task is to mask off the boot stripe, and spray it satin white.  

That’s all for now.  She’s coming along! 

A9A2F2B3-79DC-402F-839A-0A4D3B4ECDFF.jpeg

0A0A1C81-4635-4D4B-97BE-076BFECDCC8F.jpeg

94F7F6B1-3289-4A3F-8190-FBF4C34FA366.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

31 minutes ago, James H said:

That is looking so nice. Glad the Chaos Black fitted the bill too.

Thanks Jim!  I’m grateful for all the advice.

Yes the Chaos Black is good stuff.  It dries super fast as well.  I let it dry for a couple of hours, but probably didn’t need to.  I think it was ready to handle in about 15 minutes.  

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Wow...she looks terrific with that dramatic black and red hull!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Look at that paint job! That black is awesome looking, I’m painting my flying fish soon and I’m thinking about ditching my paint for some of this chaos black. Very nice work!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

On to the boot stripe.  I masked off for the stripe using the 6mm Tamiya tape.  Getting the curve right is a bit tricky, since the traditional stripe for the Zulus is historically deeper at the bow and stern, and narrower amidships.  So the stripe is tapering, and it’s a bit fiddly getting it the right thickness and even on both sides.  I used a divider to measure off key points from the side view on the plan drawing, but really, it’s one of those tasks you just have to go by eye.  Lay down a curve with tape, and then sight down it for fairness.  Trial and error.

Sprayed three coats satin white with a light sanding between.

5F1A506D-431D-44A6-BEDE-00A1F1D3ED7F.jpeg

64D206E3-B7A3-4994-A58E-602877E118DC.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

And here is the paint, finished.  The stripe came out very nicely, I think.  She sure looks like a Zulu now.  I’ll be giving her a couple coats of varnish over the whole hull to unify the finish.  

642BDB97-F03B-46A0-ACFA-27BB738F4602.jpeg

70A5E0C8-AE46-41E5-A74E-E68B9016F684.jpeg

C8EBC4E5-B826-48EC-80F6-57C86A6DDA7E.jpeg

6EA6F74D-A281-4CC0-A394-C1E85158FF6B.jpeg

222A2AFC-7BEC-44D2-BD49-800B6DF11B65.jpeg

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Next task before I varnish, I want to put registration numbers on the side of the hull.  That way I can varnish over them and protect and unify the finish.  

I have done some testing with both waterslide decals from Microscale, and dry transfer numbers from Woodland Scenics. First, I tried the waterslide decals.  I placed a decal onto some spare wood with a painted finish, and let it dry for an hour or so.  Then I tried the Minwax water-based poly varnish over it.  Disastrous.  The Minwax completely dissolved the decal :D.  Important safety tip!

So on to the dry transfer letters.  Those worked fine, a coat of Minwax applied with no problem at all, results below.  So I’m going to do the registration numbers with white dry transfer, and then varnish everything.  It pays to test before leaping ahead, huh? ;)

That’s it for now!  Thanks everyone for your attention and help.

-EKE

F9FF525E-94ED-4347-80C0-8F1A04B50571.jpeg

6BE1BF8C-2EBA-4EB4-AF93-971E183081F3.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

19 minutes ago, BobG said:

Gorgeous!

Thanks so much Bob!  I'm trying to keep up with you, but you set a very high standard with that beautiful job you did on Pen Duick.  ;)

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Thanks Eric, I need to stop playing my guitar so much and get back to working on the Pen Duick. It's been a while...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Guitar is good.  You’ll get back to Pen Duick when the spirit moves you.  👍 

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Erik,

Your hull's livery is looking very attractive and very sharp.

And thanks for sharing the 'lettering' research.

Next task before I varnish, I want to put registration numbers on the side of the hull. That way I can varnish over them and protect and unify the finish.

You (and B.E.) got me thinking 😉 .... my Fifie may be getting some late lettering additions during the winter months. 

Regards,

Richard

Edit: A list of current Fishing Boat Registration Letters ... https://www.findafishingboat.com/article/fishing-boat-registration-letters

Seems the Resistration is not only marked on the vessel but also carved.

Edited by Rik Thistle

Thanks, friends.  Appreciate the input.

And Richard, thanks for the link to the list of fishing boat abbreviations.  A great reference, quickly bookmarked.

I’m going to use the registration number of BF 1479 ‘Fidelity’.    She’s the Zulu depicted in the great drawings on the Greenwich Maritime Museum site, and she’s very close in specs to Chris’ ‘Lady Isabella’.  ‘Fidelity’ was registered in Banff (BF) but I can find no information on her home port.  I may have to craft a fictional narrative. :)

EDIT:  I found information on ‘Fidelity’.  Home port was Portessie.  That’s a small town east of Buckie, west of Banff:

http://glennmci.brinkster.net/mcibb/listcomp.html

http://glennmci.brinkster.net/mcibb/bf1479.html

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

50 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Well Erik you may as well  name her Fidelity  as you say the plan is so close to the kit layout as makes no difference, and it's nice to represent a real vessel.

Had I not bashed the kit into Muirneag, I would have gone for Fidelity. 🙂

B.E.

That's the plan, BE.  I won't be doing a lot of kit bashing, as I'll be pleased to get to the finish line for my first ship build without screwing anything up.  But I'll be giving her the general appearance of Fidelity.  And it's a fine name for a ship, in my opinion. ;)

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Erik,

Two good links you have provided there. -  so much info therein.

Earlier today I had been wandering through a website which had hundreds of pics of old (mostly) UK fishing vessels (...I've bookmarked it on another computer so will edit the link in to here tomorrow) and I saw a pic of a very sleek looking Zulu...so I clicked on the Comment below it which said the pic appears in 'Edgar March - Sailing Drifters'...I then read up on that book, tracked down a copy and bought it. ...delivery in a week or so. A few minutes after all that I saw that B.E. made reference to that book in one of his posts 😉

So looking in to my crystal ball I suspect there is a Zulu build somewhere in my future.

Regards,

Richard

22 minutes ago, Rik Thistle said:

Erik,

Two good links you have provided there. -  so much info therein.

Earlier today I had been wandering through a website which had hundreds of pics of old (mostly) UK fishing vessels (...I've bookmarked it on another computer so will edit the link in to here tomorrow) and I saw a pic of a very sleek looking Zulu...so I clicked on the Comment below it which said the pic appears in 'Edgar March - Sailing Drifters'...I then read up on that book, tracked down a copy and bought it. ...delivery in a week or so. A few minutes after all that I saw that B.E. made reference to that book in one of his posts 😉

So looking in to my crystal ball I suspect there is a Zulu build somewhere in my future.

Regards,

Richard

You won’t be disappointed Richard, it’s a great read apart from the technical stuff, I would go so far as to say that Edgar March is to fishing vessels what C.N Longridge is to Victory.

Loads of  copies available in the U.S. of A. Erik, hint, hint. 😉

B.E.