San Francisco 2 by msberkman - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:90 - my first wooden kit - Galleon S.XVI

and I cut a piece of wood with a tringle end for the intersection of head rails and they sit perfect with it.

post-599-0-37662400-1419695738_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-09557600-1419695775_thumb.jpg

Currently building
San Francisco II by Artesania Latina 

My first wooden model ship

Next building

San Francisco II Section by Artesania Latina

Wish List

US Constellation by Artesania Latina

For a few days I have been busy with lining the deck and varnishing. As you can see I attached the gratings as well; but I skiped the third one. This grating is seemed to me as the perfect one for a passage to the lower floor with a ladder. So now I am working on it. I will share the photos of this grating as soon as it finish.

post-599-0-26121600-1420240957_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-99085700-1420241012_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-10940600-1420241061_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-95221800-1420241104_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-86987400-1420241155_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-16426100-1420241198_thumb.jpg

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

And here is the third grating... First I have built some inner reinforcements for the base.

post-599-0-10326200-1420301306_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-25185800-1420301348_thumb.jpg

Then I attached them to the both sides of the hole.

post-599-0-96215200-1420301541_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-87214900-1420301587_thumb.jpg

I have built the floor on the tab of the side mouldings with mahogany sticks.

post-599-0-95057800-1420302393_thumb.jpg

And finally I fixed the ladder and grating...

post-599-0-80216600-1420302488_thumb.jpg

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

Hi, I am building the same kit and will be following your posts.I have a question, in my instruction book it looks like the wood used to cover the bulwarks and the hull are different, but in your photos it looks like you used the same. My instructions just say to cover the hull starting at the bottom of the bullwarks and working down to keel with #29 and never refer to covering the bullwarks again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Doug

Hi I have been building this ship for a good while now and I have finally finished the base and need to move onto the rigging however I do not have any instructions for this section and I am seriously struggling to complete it, I am not sure if I am possibly lacking a set of instructions as all it says for me to do is complete the rigging and no further input. If anyone could help with where I could find instructions for this section it would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi, I am building the same kit and will be following your posts.I have a question, in my instruction book it looks like the wood used to cover the bulwarks and the hull are different, but in your photos it looks like you used the same. My instructions just say to cover the hull starting at the bottom of the bullwarks and working down to keel with #29 and never refer to covering the bullwarks again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Doug

I will check it and return to you

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

Doug

Yes Artisan083 you are right. In the instruction book the wood seems different. But if you look at page 16 or page 18 you will notice that they are the same mahogany no29. I used no29 for both the bulwarks and the hull. The choice is yours but if you use the thinner mahogany in the bulwarks there will be a thickness difference between the bulwarks and the hull.

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

Today was my last holiday day so I work hard and do lots of stuff... Now all I need is to build two more wooden doors ;)

post-599-0-15402700-1420393352_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-40849900-1420393399_thumb.jpg

Edited by msberkman

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

I will attach the doors tomorrow... and I'll take photos and share when it's done...

Edited by msberkman

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

Absolutely beautiful work. I built the original San Francisco from Latina, back when they supplied wood veneer strips for the hull, which was applied to a cheaper white wood planking as a second layer. If you don't mind a suggestion, In the future, sand the wood smooth first after you glue it down and once sanded, come back and nail in the nails. It will give a much nicer finish, especially since the Frisco uses the nail heads as adornment.  

Mike  

Edited by mtdoramike

Absolutely beautiful work. I built the original San Francisco from Latina, back when they supplied wood veneer strips for the hull, which was applied to a cheaper white wood planking as a second layer. If you don't mind a suggestion, In the future, sand the wood smooth first after you glue it down and once sanded, come back and nail in the nails. It will give a much nicer finish, especially since the Frisco uses the nail heads as adornment.  

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion.Yes Mike, you are right. I didn't get satisfied with the results of the nail heads either .I though to pull all of them back and replace them with the new ones. I can do these later. Now I am thinking a new method for the nails with less effort.

Thanks again, I will wait for your other advices...

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

I postponed it till today... but I have to do... I started to built the bowsprit deck as left and right side separately. Then I will fix them together.

post-599-0-37667900-1420927771_thumb.jpg

Edited by msberkman

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

I fixed the bowsprit deck; it fit perfectly to its place... now the right one...

post-599-0-39925500-1421015330_thumb.jpg

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

Your ship is looking really nice! Your skill level has improved at every step too - way to go! The latest pictures are amazing.

thanks buck... nowadays I am busy with that galleon whenever I have free time...

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

Building the bowsprit deck is a hard and boring step... I gave a break for the right part and started to do something else...

post-599-0-21696600-1421520925_thumb.jpg

Currently building

Next building

Wish List

As you can see in the photos first I draw the spaces between the holes. I drilled small ones and then enlarged them about 1.5 mm dia. Finally I rounded the edges and gave the last shape.

Currently building

Next building

Wish List