IJN Yukikaze by Cap'n Snack – FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Awesome, count me in on this one.  I have the kit as well in the stash with I think the Infini upgrade set.  Looks like it builds into a really nice model.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 3 weeks later...

So here's a first update: I had a bit of trouble with the hull pieces – not a Tamiya problem, but a 'my clumsy fingers' problem.

I had to work to get the waterline and hull sides to match up without noticeable seams, so I was sanding and touching it all up.

So far, I have the hull pieces together, and some initial deck elements added; also, for the first time, I airbrushed a model! I masked off the 'linoleum deck' sections and am relatively satisfied with the results. After years of relying on spray cans, I realized how delicate an airbrush coating can be, repeatedly leaving fingerprints and such on parts. Gloves on from now on!

Also... I dropped the damn thing when removing the masking, and bent the cleat at the very front of the bow, and the stern a bit. ARGH!

Next step is to detail the deck elements, TRY to add some detail to the 'ribs' on the linoleum deck areas, and move on to the superstructure parts.

Any C&C is welcome (very welcome)! 

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

Well done so far. Your airbrushing looks very good. Put her on either a styrofoam or towel from now on, any hard surface will damage  the bottom and you will have to repaint. Besides a towel gives you the advantage to slant her when working on her. Looking good mate

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

21 hours ago, cog said:

Well done so far. Your airbrushing looks very good. Put her on either a styrofoam or towel from now on, any hard surface will damage  the bottom and you will have to repaint. Besides a towel gives you the advantage to slant her when working on her. Looking good mate

Oooh.. really? Good advice! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's some more progress...

I drilled out wee little holes in the gun bases for the 12.7 cm Fine Molds PE barrels I bought... not a great picture (sorry) but I'm happy with the results. The metal is primed and ready to paint.

I wasn't too happy with the fit of the turrets; they are molded in 4 pieces (top, sides and bottom) so, using my limited skills, I filled the spaces with Tamiya putty and sanded them down... after a quick layer of primer, I fixed a few more edges as best I could, and am ready to airbrush them.

I've applied the superstructures for the most part... I'm still coming to grips with CA glue (special thanks to everyone who helped out in my other post about that!!) so it looks rough in-camera, but acceptable to me to the naked eye.

The PE ladders supplied with the kit looks great... except for the blob of CA glue I left at the base! Maybe some poor IJN crewman dropped a bucket of paint on his way down the ladder?

The PE 'grill' under the forward superstructure went in nicely, but it 'tipped' out a bit at the top as it was drying. Ah well.

I'm figuring I'll put almost everything on EXCEPT for the absurdly flimsy masts and towers and THEN apply the PE railings... then try my hand at some weathering effects.

Overall, this kit is exactly what I was hoping; a lot of fun, and a GREAT test bed for working with CA glue, TINY parts and PE parts.

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

Edited by Cap'n Snack

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I guess I didn't make enough entries for my first Build Log... sorry about that.

I finished the Yukikaze superstructure without any added details (or drama!) choosing to paint the gun mounts a lighter colour (Tamiya XF-75 Kure Arsenal) just to get them to stand out a bit from the rest of the model. After applying a quick wash to them, I think the effect is fine.

CE glue was very difficult to come to grips with. I suppose I worried that I wasn't using enough when applying the PE railings, but everything seems to be hanging on fairly well... if something went on a bit crooked, I chose to leave it, for fear of having to do it all again, and possibly making a mess of the deck... 

I've fallen in love with PE parts though; they make all the difference, and I can see why many people insist on adding them in. Practice will improve my skills I'm sure.

I used EZ-line 'fine' rigging, and in lieu of adding posts or hard points tot he superstructure or hull, I sort of 'winged it' adding them to approx. places on the ship. Not totally accurate, but for me it was an exciting add-on to the model. Again, my fear of CE glue kept me from being as careful as I should have been, but I think I was able to cover up the most egregious blobs of glue (again, to the naked eye it seems acceptable)

Some very light dusting of Tamiya Weathering Master set 'B' (snow, soot and rust) picked out some highlights, and some experimenting with the AK Interactive Weathering Pencils sets (Greens and browns, the 'sepia' colour in particular) helped create rudimentary rust streaks...

I also realized I'd glued the cross-braces near the forward stack backwards. D'oh!

Finally, I attempted to give the paper flags that came with the kit a bit of dimension, so I used watered-down white glue to attach and 'wrap' the flag around a piece of kitchen tin foil... then simply shaped it a bit to look like it's fluttering in the wind. It worked fairly well!

Overall, I realized I'd attempted washes and weathering before applying a semi-gloss coat over the base paint, and that made things a bit rougher than I would have like... also, CE glue was intimidating, but I felt like I was coming to grips with it by the end of the project... 

For my first ship, I enjoyed building this kit a lot and – of course – LEARNED a lot during the process. I THINK Santa is bringing me the 1/350 Hasegawa IJN Mikasa for the holidays, so I will hopefully be evolving my abilities even further.

Thanks to all for good advice, encouragement, assistance and kind words!  C & C very welcome!!!

IMG_1969.a.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

Edited by Cap'n Snack

Congratulations  Cap'n

Hope you have somewhere to put it where years from now you will be able to point and say "That was my first."

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nicely done!  Congratulations!  Mikasa will be a good second one to work on :) 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks man!  Every time I see your log I'm so tempted to start my Yukikaze, but I'm trying to have only one plastic ship going at a time.  Still need to finish my 1/700 Hatsuzakura destroyer which hopefully I can get done by the end of the year.  The PE is just so small I need to be of a particular mindset - i.e., masochistic - to work on it :) 

Mike

Thats a fine looking ship  - you did a fine job on here,     looking forward to your next.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Congratulations Cap'n on finishing your Yukikaze.  You did a good job on building this kit.  I am looking forward to seeing your Mikasa build as this is one of my favorite ships.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

10 hours ago, cog said:

Turned out rather well, especially for a first time build. Next one will be easier, if you do not have to much PE ;)

... well, I AM considering the wooden deck and PE parts for the Mikasa, which seems much more involved.

However, another thing I will do differently is attach the PE details tot he hull and superstructure before painting it. Maybe I'll have more luck that way?

Thanks very much!

Edited by Cap'n Snack

• The title was changed to IJN Yukikaze by Cap'n Snack – FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC