Hermione La Fayette by jks1981 - Artesania Latina - 1:89 Scale

Was on the fence about making another build log since my last one was 5 years in the making....anyways here it goes....

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current: Hermione La Fayette - Artesania Latina 1:89

Previous: Gjoa - Constructo 1:64

• 3 weeks later...

Done with hull painting. I purposely didn’t add any filler to the hull so individual planks would show through the paint. 

396D337F-9116-46F2-9170-3D709469BD28.jpeg

D75EF70A-1FFD-4C41-B0AD-E8B832D42B7A.jpeg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn’t happy with the blue I had chosen so decided to re-do that part using the colour suggestion from another thread here on MSW.

79108D58-13A5-4620-9227-CAB4F18C6677.jpeg

I have this kit too. Haven't started yet. Yours looks real nice. Gun ports line up very well and also a top paint job.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi Scott.

Thanks for the comments, I'm still plugging away at the gun port framing... 

Are you planning on starting the Hermione soon? Keep me posted if you start a build log, would love to follow it. This site is so helpful.

James

7 hours ago, jks1981 said:

Hi Scott.

Thanks for the comments, I'm still plugging away at the gun port framing... 

Are you planning on starting the Hermione soon? Keep me posted if you start a build log, would love to follow it. This site is so helpful.

James

Im currently busy working on the rigging for the endeavour. So it shouldn't be too far off.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Lining gunports can be very tedious. Looks like a brilliant job. Nice work. The paint job has come out superb.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

• 3 weeks later...

All the work just to cover most of it up.... 

I also cut off the top of the frames prior to putting the deck on, seems like a much easier way to do it.

B7D6EE1D-EF21-4078-9F58-496AF6BB3C32.jpeg

8502B027-AAB0-4371-B5AE-0585CC16F27B.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi James,

Great job. I can see you have a steady hand with painting cap rails. 

Tip, Check the set of stairs that came with the AL kit. When I wanted to assemble my stairs I found that the stringers had uneven saw cuts. This resulted in a spiral staircase that just didn't look right. I ordered a set of stairs from Amati, which were really a lot nicer than the ones from Artesania Latina.

IMG_0402.jpg.6b4a6ca812630f20d4586c2b707679a6.jpgIMG_0400.jpg.85bc08d33c69c4f0166e0b95e1555563.jpg

Regards

Peter

Thanks for the heads up Peter! I'll check the stairs that came in my kit.  I'm also running into the issue where the cap rails on the bow don't even come close to fitting. I saw on your build log you had the same problem and had to make them from scratch...guess I will be doing the same.

Hi James,

The cap rails I made from scrap are following the curve of the bow much better then the cap rails that came with the kit. There a lot of flaws in the design  of the Hermione that can be very frustrating. But, if you can solve them the result will be rewarding.

Peter

Here’s where I ended up with it. Just used leftover rail that was already profiled and painted.  Not exactly what they are supposed to look like, but close enough.

CCB4D99C-E7E7-4C18-94D4-3080DC65295E.jpeg

It’s actually a bit of an illusion in the photo, I haven’t trimmed down the top plank yet, so once I do the bowsprit should drop down into place. Good eye though, feel free to point out anything else that looks off!

73FDB68C-6C50-4EF8-90E5-DC286518C1E9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...