Sassafras 12 by ccoyle - Chesapeake Light Craft - FINISHED - 1:1 scale canoe - you read that right

So does this 1:1 model come with a 1:1 model of Chris Coyle?  I heard he can give Brad Pitt a run for his money.  Hope your modeling skills are up to the task!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Well, Mr. Pitt and I are the same age, both of us being in our silver-back years, so to speak. He, of course, has movie-star good looks because, well, he's a movie star, obviously. As for me, no mothers have shrieked upon seeing my visage and hurried away in the opposite direction while covering their child's eyes, so I'll content myself with that. 😎

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Okay, I just finished applying epoxy coat #3. Yes, I know that this picture of the third coat of epoxy looks exactly like the picture of the second coat of epoxy (Is it indeed a new picture? Or is he just saying it's a new picture? You can never be certain, can you? 😋 ). The difference is that this coat should be substantially smoother once it dries. Hopefully.

sass57.thumb.jpg.041a05e642764faa12f113fac90f0d95.jpg

After this coat dries, I will need to touch up a few low spots in the seams and some wire holes that didn't quite magically fill in as the instructions suggested they would. Then it's on to finishing the interior.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I  have an idea  -  Craig is building/re-working his swimming pool  - you could test your boat there  - sure he wont mind.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 1 month later...

Yikes! I can't believe it has been over a month since I updated this thread! Of course, COVID and its aftermath ate up three of those weeks, so there's that. Anyways, I have an announcement: I ... I think I'm ready to paint. 😲 Yes, I finally got all the sanding done, inside and out. Now, it would be sweet if I actually had the paint on hand, but I don't, so the next step is to order paint, primer, and varnish. Not being too pleased with my interior finish work, I'm pretty well set on painting the interior. My plan is to go with either a dark green or dark blue exterior and a light gray interior (I intend to fish from my canoe, so I think gray will cut down on the glare); the rails and decks will get varnished. And that's it for now.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I don't know diddly about marine paints and varnishes, so I went with Interlux Brightside, the one-part polyurethane topcoat recommended by CLC, Interlux Pre-Kote build-up primer, and Interlux Schooner varnish. I shopped around and found a place in Florida that sells these for a bit less than CLC and ordered today. I had my daughter look at the color options, and she happened to pick the exact two colors I was thinking about, so that was nice. I then trawled the Internet looking for boats wearing that brand and those colors, and decided I liked the blue better, thus the canoe will wear Sapphire Blue on the outside, contrasted with Seattle Gray, a nice light gray, on the inside.

Here's a pic of a boat being done in Sapphire Blue.

And here's one that shows kinda the look I'm going for, albeit in a different brand of paint.

Restoring dory: Tabor senior brings back forgotten companion boat - News -  The Patriot Ledger, Quincy, MA - Quincy, MA

Now for more anxious waiting ...

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Annoying production schedule hiccup: The paint I ordered was damaged in transit and discarded thanks to UPS. I haven't heard yet from the shipper when (or even if) they will reship the order. I'm a little miffed, because I felt like I was on a roll and was anxious to start painting. Now it's just more waiting ...

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

5 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Annoying production schedule hiccup: The paint I ordered was damaged in transit and discarded thanks to UPS. I haven't heard yet from the shipper when (or even if) they will reship the order. I'm a little miffed, because I felt like I was on a roll and was anxious to start painting. Now it's just more waiting ...

So its not just me having a hard time with incompetent  delivery companies who can not read when said item says  (((Fragile)))

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

10 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Fragile

They can't read Italian. 

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

They can't read Italian. 

I only wish they could read english, that would be a great help to them I suspect....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

While waiting for paint to arrive (no ETA yet), I took care of a few miscellaneous bits. First, I trimmed the thwart to fit.sass58.thumb.jpg.8eafad6bc4fb2b6b5a892e9ff919a0e9.jpg

Then I wiped out the remaining resin dust with a damp rag, followed by a start on taping up the rails. No pics of the last item -- just tape, dontcha know.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looking great Chris, you're almost at the finish line.  Fantastic job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking great Chris, you're almost at the finish line.

Thanks, Mike (and to everyone else who has commented). My paint order has been re-shipped and is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully, this time it actually will!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Still waiting on progress pics on the 1:1 Chris Coyle to go along with it!

Mike

Ugh -- the paint (or lack of it) saga continues. The new shipment of paint was supposed to be picked up by UPS on the 21st for delivery by the 23rd. Friday evening came and went -- still no paint. UPS tracking number turns up no info. I called the company on Saturday, but the customer service guy was out until Monday. Monday morning I contacted him by email and was assured that he would get hold of the warehouse manager and figure out where my paint was. Then nothing. This morning I emailed again, asking for a status update. <crickets> So this afternoon I sent yet another email -- an ultimatum this time: expedite my order or refund my money. We'll see how they respond.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

This is why I pronounce/refer to UPS as "Oops"

They have a history of loosing things....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

16 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Ugh -- the paint (or lack of it) saga continues. The new shipment of paint was supposed to be picked up by UPS on the 21st for delivery by the 23rd. Friday evening came and went -- still no paint. UPS tracking number turns up no info. I called the company on Saturday, but the customer service guy was out until Monday. Monday morning I contacted him by email and was assured that he would get hold of the warehouse manager and figure out where my paint was. Then nothing. This morning I emailed again, asking for a status update. <crickets> So this afternoon I sent yet another email -- an ultimatum this time: expedite my order or refund my money. We'll see how they respond.

Typical  - why do companies mess us around  - does nothing for their  ratings.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

23 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

why do companies mess us around 

Because we're a captive audience.

I've had a mulch kit on order from Cub Cadet for my brand new never mowed a blade of grass way too expensive lawn tractor since March 2nd. I can't mow my yard without a mulch kit. No aftermarket alternatives, so, we wait like the trained consumers we've become.  

Chris, hopefully they get your paint to you in short order. 

Edited by Keith Black

Any one used  "Fed - Wrecks"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Any one used  "Fed - Wrecks"

Interestingly, my last few card model shipments from Poland came clad in armor-like packaging and arrived in great shape.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

The Saga Continues

Got a new tracking number on Friday; paint is supposed to arrive by Tuesday 5/4 ... unless UPS destroys this one, too.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Oooooh ... look what the UPS guy brought!

20210504_205437.thumb.jpg.17b3c4163109422c8c644599c7d844ca.jpg

Notice that the can on the far left is dented, as is one of the other cans where you can't see it. The cans are surprisingly flimsy, and they were shipped swaddled only in bubble wrap -- no Styrofoam board, no rigid cardboard. Pretty iffy packing for a fairly heavy and apparently easy to damage product. Just happy the United Parcel Smashers didn't destroy this shipment, too. Will probably try to get started with the primer tomorrow.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Glad the turned up at long last  - that saga has been going on for ages   - we were all worried that Water would have dried up by the time they arrived  - imagine the scene  you sitting in your shiny new boat on a  dry bed.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

18 hours ago, Bedford said:

Nice, now get that paint on and show us what it looks like! 

I'm on it -- first coat of interior primer on. If I had better light, I could've flipped it over and done coat #1 on the exterior, too, but I can't see well enough in the fading evening light to do a good taping job.

sass59.thumb.jpg.2a5135fa70b909a4d7d3776aae4ff9fd.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco