HMS Terror by DanielD - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:75 - Second Build Started 10/4/2020

More rudder work today. I think this should finish up the port side. Tedious work, but I’m happy with the outcome.

21166C23-C75C-45C1-9610-A4A7C48BED51.jpeg

1 hour ago, Alexander Bulimov said:

Depths markers look great! How did you make them?

Good evening Alexander,

I used a P-Touch label machine with white letters on black tape. I set the machine to the smallest letters it could make, then printed the string  IX   X   XI  XII  etc. Then I just cut the text out to just around the printed letters, pealed the protective strip away and affixed to the model. Hope this helps.

505943D9-E5FA-488A-8387-1575ECF2B183.jpeg

Tonight’s challenge is the window frame of the Capitan’s cabin. I built it removable so that I could do some fine fittings as well as properly paint it white. Below is the first look at the lantern light as seen through the windows.

7540A04B-BA9C-48C2-83E2-2620B722B677.jpeg

Well, I didn’t think making 3D letters would be so hard. My goal was to make the letters TERROR with a bit of depth, maybe a millimeter or so. I attempted making them with wood, and when that didn’t work a new batch in plastic. The letters are just too small to do the intricate carvings of the letters without damaging them or myself. Then I remembered my wife has a Cricuit machine. I ended up making the letters out of card stock, then a coat or two of white paint to match the model, and finally affix them in place. Initially I made the letters a little smaller, but they didn’t look correct. Below is my final result.

59EBAACE-6363-4468-9064-D6DBC0FA2C01.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

This evening I started working on the... well, I don’t know what they are called. But the timbers/woodwork at the stern. Now to replicate for the port side.

674DCAEE-4A85-42E9-B213-8A00D4FAACA2.jpeg

15 minutes ago, DanielD said:

This evening I started working on the... well, I don’t know what they are called

I think they are called stern davits and they are used to hang the ship's boat. 

The model is looking great btw! Really liking the lights in the Captain's cabin!

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Stern davits, how will I ever remember all of these new terms...

I did some research on the Terror and could not find any text or images of the stern davits being used to hold the ships small boats, as these seemed to be held on the sides. However, I did find one image from an earlier expedition that shows the spare rudder being hung from these davits. I know there is storage for a spare rudder mid ship, I may use this opportunity to have something a little different and make a spare rudder from scratch and hang it from these stern davits. Just thinking at this point...

9CA21793-DC56-4485-8527-2117E2A2CDA0.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

7 hours ago, Keith S said:

I reckoned there must be laser-cut brass depth markings or maybe transfers or decals available, and gave up when I couldn't find any. Yours look so good I'm going to resume looking for some. They are still present on the wreck so I'd like to include them on the model.

Hi Keith sure i have seen brass etchings , but alas cannot remember where as i was going to add some to mine!!!!

Any Terror fan know what the highlighted areas below are? While I want to represent the model the best I can, I am having trouble researching these as I don’t know what they are or called. Any ideas?

9DA68A2A-605F-4075-9C86-D5461B737C65.png

9 minutes ago, clearway said:

the ones towards midships are sheaves for the sheets on the fore and main courses, the rear most set will most likely be for the mainbraces.

Keith

These sheaves (pulleys) then run through the bulwark? In the OcCre Terror kit they are simple blocks of wood glued to the bulwark. But on Matthew Betts drawings, they do look like sheaves.

Thanks Keith, I appreciate your help.

Yes Daniel the ropes will run through the sheaves and be belayed on cleats/ belaying pins (if you study Matthews plans you will see the cleats on the bulwarks), i have yet to drill through mine. Don't follow the occre rigging sequence as a lot is wrong!!!

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

Nice work. 

I have a comment about your stern davits and plan to hang a rudder from them. The spare rudder was kept in the engine-room, and was accessed through that little hatch immediately forward of the aft companionway. In that picture you've posted, the ship is at "winter quarters" and that's the main rudder you see on the stern davits. I think that specific picture was drawn during the Back expedition, when she was badly damaged by the ice. That's why it looks like she's stuck half in and half out of an iceberg! The men are depicted trying to get her ready to sail, reinstalling the rudder, etc. The drawing also depicts the ship before her conversion to auxiliary steam power: you can see the stern-gallery has five windows because the extended propeller trunk isn't there. 

Interestingly in this picture it looks as though the ship DID have studding-sail booms on the yards. I wonder in these pictures how much of the rig has been directly drawn by the artist and how much is conjecture. There are many inconsistencies between different drawings. I gather that they were drawn using a "camera lucida" for the main bits and details drawn in later.

Keith, thanks for the information. I knew the image was from a prior expedition and before the retrofit for the 1845 journey, but I'm not that familiar yet with the early history of this great ship. While I have poked around Google for information with some results, my concentration has been after 1845. I don't really know or have not yet found a good book for the history of the Terror. I am also looking forward to Dr. Betts book, but alas not until August 2021.

On another note, the book you suggested, The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, 1625- 1860 by James Lee, is becoming hard to find, in any edition. I'll keep my eye out, or maybe look at a digital version from Amazon although not ideal, oh...and expensive for a book.

Edited by DanielD

On 12/4/2020 at 11:19 AM, DanielD said:

Keith, thanks for the information. I knew the image was from a prior expedition and before the retrofit for the 1845 journey, but I'm not that familiar yet with the early history of this great ship. While I have poked around Google for information with some results, my concentration has been after 1845. I don't really know or have not yet found a good book for the history of the Terror. I am also looking forward to Dr. Betts book, but alas not until August 2021.

On another note, the book you suggested, The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, 1625- 1860 by James Lee, is becoming hard to find, in any edition. I'll keep my eye out, or maybe look at a digital version from Amazon although not ideal, oh...and expensive for a book.

Hi, Daniel,

Michael Palin's book "Erebus" gives a pretty good history of the journeys of both of Franklin's ships. It might give you some of the detail you need. Great work on the stern. Looks very fine.

Dennis

I saw the copies of Lees' book for sale on Amazon and was shocked- kind of made me angry, actually- at the asking price. I managed to find a copy for about $70 from an online used-book store after a brief internet search. I just looked on their website and they now list it as "out of stock" so I suppose I got their only one. But still- it must be available somewhere. If not, there are other good books on the subject. I find Lees' a bit difficult to interpret if I'm honest. He uses a lot of nautical jargon without any sort of glossary, making it necessary to do much ancillary research just to work out what he's talking about. I would much prefer a good authoritative book with more diagrams and some more useful advice like "make a rope go from the tip of this thing, and tie it over here" and THEN tell me what that rope is called. Lees doesn't do that. He assumes we all know what these things are called. It's a little heavy. 

11 hours ago, clearway said:

try abes books- they are an onlone company who broker for various bookshops around the world- picked my lees masting and rigging up on there for around £25 (though wasn't mint cover- was faded by sunlight but i can live with that)!

Keith

Thanks for the book store idea. Is their a difference between the editions? I typically like to get the latest edition; however, in this case its a huge price difference. The 1st edition in 1997 around $80 US, 2nd edition (harder to find) 1984 for around $80 US, and the 3rd edition printed in 2001 for $110-200 and even as high as $350 US.

Well, that took longer than I thought it would. Today’s project, make the sheaves that go on the side of the bulwarks.

The hull is nearly ready for another coat of clear protective varnish, after a few touch ups.

C7551ECB-AA9E-46F7-ADA9-5A99DD5DE770.jpeg

C681FE56-44FD-4D5A-8107-977715F2D6CC.jpeg