U.S. Coast Guard Models

swasson

I'm a scale modeler specializing in scratch-building U.S. Coast Guard vessels for radio control operation.

I have built a 36' Motor Life Boat, a 38' Picket Boat, a 52' Motor Life Boat (Intrepid) and a 180' Iris class Buoy Tender (WLB 394 Hornbeam)

I have planned to build a 25' 8" Motor Surf Boat and a 30' Surf Rescue Boat both in 1 1/2" to the foot scale but at age 81 have lost some of my small motor skills and feel I could not do them justice.

I have plans for both and have framed-up the 30 footer.

I have a custom made brass skeg attached to the keel and stem plywood layout for the 25 footer with the prop shafts bored and station lines marked.

I am attaching photos of both as well as some of my completed models.

If anyone is interested in completing these two boats, please get in touch. I am in suburban Philadelphia.

Sam Wasson

IMG_0274 boat.JPG

IMG_0277 boat.JPG

IMG_0279 boat.JPG

IMG_0280 boat.JPG

IMG_0282 boat.JPG

suzy's camera 772 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 770.JPG

suzy's camera 774.JPG

Welcome to Model Ship World Sam.  You have some really nice looking models.  It must be a lot of fun to build a model and then get to run it on the water.  The Philadelphia Ship Model Society is near you.  They are currently meeting by Zoom due to the Covid 19 pandemic.  Here is a link to their website: https://www.philadelphiashipmodelsociety.com/

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

On 10/8/2020 at 4:27 PM, Ryland Craze said:

Welcome to Model Ship World Sam.  You have some really nice looking models.  It must be a lot of fun to build a model and then get to run it on the water.  The Philadelphia Ship Model Society is near you.  They are currently meeting by Zoom due to the Covid 19 pandemic.  Here is a link to their website: https://www.philadelphiashipmodelsociety.com/

Welcome  great to have you onboard  our family here  - you have done some Beautiful work there, hope you get to do some  build logs here - looking forward  to it.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Sam,

You might have a look here and see if there's a club near you.  Someone in the club might interested.  

https://thenrg.org/resource/clubs

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Those are beautiful models, Sam! I'm a Coast Guard veteran and we don't often see any Coast Guard models here on MSW. It's really great to see your work.

I was stationed aboard the USCGC Storis WAGB-38 out of Kodiak, Alaska, in 1966 and 1967. I also spent 2 1/2 years on several 40 footers while stationed at the Captain of the Port Los Angeles/Long Beach Station. I don't have the skills to scratch build yet but I'd love to build a model of the Storis someday. I have also been thinking about buying one of the old Dumas 40 foot utility boat models that they used to make for RC. That model is out of production but they can still be found on eBay occasionally and Dumas may even have a few sitting around.

Welcome to MSW and thanks for sharing your wonderful models with us.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Welcome Sam! I'm originally from Philly, but live in Maine now.

Great job on the USCG boats! They look fantastic.

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

On 10/14/2020 at 2:27 AM, BobG said:

Those are beautiful models, Sam! I'm a Coast Guard veteran and we don't often see any Coast Guard models here on MSW. It's really great to see your work.

I was stationed aboard the USCGC Storis WAGB-38 out of Kodiak, Alaska, in 1966 and 1967. I also spent 2 1/2 years on several 40 footers while stationed at the Captain of the Port Los Angeles/Long Beach Station. I don't have the skills to scratch build yet but I'd love to build a model of the Storis someday. I have also been thinking about buying one of the old Dumas 40 foot utility boat models that they used to make for RC. That model is out of production but they can still be found on eBay occasionally and Dumas may even have a few sitting around.

Welcome to MSW and thanks for sharing your wonderful models with us.

@BobG

Hey Bob

I am also a former Coastie (1974-1978). I was a boat coxswain on the Outer Bank of North Carolina. I ran 44 footers, 41 footers and 30 footers. 

Dumas still has the 44’ and 41’ listed on their website and a couple of other USCG vessels. 

Paul

Completed Builds:

On 10/15/2020 at 1:36 AM, pwog said:

I am also a former Coastie (1974-1978).

Hi Paul, I was in the Coast Guard from 1966-1970. I was aboard the Storis from March of '66 to September of '67 tumbling around the Bering Sea and the Gulf of Alaska. I spent the rest of my time at the Captain of the Port Los Angeles/Long Beach Station as a boat coxswain and engineman on the 40 footers there. The two I remember the most were the steel 40414 with the twin 6-71 Cummins diesel engines and the new fiberglass hull 40603 that had twin Cummins V-8 turbo-charged diesels that smoked like crazy. That boat was crazy fast and we loved taking it to the limit. There was a 30 footer at the station also.

I just took a look at your Lobster Boat build and it looks great especially considering it's your first build. Nice job!  

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

@BobG Thanks very much Bob

Paul

Completed Builds:

Sam your models are exquiste! I have often admired the 30 footer that is exhibited at Rock Harbor in Cape Cod. I have seen that vessel perform in rough surf and am so impressed at the boat's ability to survive broadside heavy waves. And the brave, brave souls who strap themselves in and go out in seas that make one's jaw drop ro save lives.

Please let me know of the plans you have for her as she is one special craft that I would like to build.

Joe

On 10/8/2020 at 7:45 AM, swasson said:

I'm a scale modeler specializing in scratch-building U.S. Coast Guard vessels for radio control operation.

I just looked at your amazing models again, Sam. They are the best Coast Guard models I've ever seen on this website. 

I would love to see some additional photos of your models without the glass case around them if that would be possible. I don't think the photos taken through the glass do them justice. The details and authenticity of your models looks amazing and I sure would like to see more detailed photos of them.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Nice work Sam. I know how hard it is to try and build a static correct model of a ship and still accommodate the requirements of operation and RC gear. You look like you have mastered both. It is a shame you feel unable to finish your current two and I hope you are able to locate someone who can do them justice. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Sam,

If you're not getting any responses, you might try posting your offer here:   

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/41-traders-dealers-buying-or-selling-anything-discuss-new-products-and-ship-model-goodies-here-as-well/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome, your work is an inspiration...

I hope to have such skills someday.....

Beautiful, simply beautiful....

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"