Miniature spokeshave

Saw on Kevin Kenny video - so bought it. An addition to miniature wood planes, It works.

008.jpg

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

They are very good but the wooden handles do not stay attached for long before they start coming undone or breaking.

Recommendation is that you epoxy these in place before the bikes in the handles get too big or you break them.

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

4 hours ago, noel_colledge said:

They are very good but the wooden handles do not stay attached for long before they start coming undone or breaking.

Recommendation is that you epoxy these in place before the bikes in the handles get too big or you break them.

These Veritas miniature tools are collectors' pieces. While they do "work," they are not built for serious use. For one thing, as miniatures, they aren't ergonomically suited for use in a full-size hand. They were intended for the gift trade (and hence the nice fitted box,) not serious miniature woodworking. 

9 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

These Veritas miniature tools are collectors' pieces. While they do "work," they are not built for serious use. For one thing, as miniatures, they aren't ergonomically suited for use in a full-size hand. They were intended for the gift trade (and hence the nice fitted box,) not serious miniature woodworking. 

I disagree Bob.

Like most tools there is a learning curve and a technique, using the fingers rather than the hand and not too deep. So long as the tool is sharp it cuts perfectly.

Also like most tools there is a time and place to use it

My favourite in the range are the planes though

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

Thanks to all, especially the advice to epoxy handles. I have the next size up, but at 10in no suitable.I suppose like a lot of tools, they will be in a draw until suddenly I remember and it will be a beloved solution to a problem.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

18 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Hi Bob

I have to say that I've used the miniature block plane to finish off just about all of the planks on my current build.  I use this and a Lie Nielson violin makers plane and although the latter can remove more in one pass I would say that they are equal in capability on my builds.  It's a great little plane that genuinely does the job in both removing excess material and cutting bevels.  I have sharpened it twice in 3 years and it hasn't let me down or shown any signs of wear either

Mark

Many years ago while studying Naval Architecture at the University of Michigan a group of built an 8ft long model of a tanker to tow in the Department’s 400ft+ long towing tank.  The Model was built from clear 5/4 pattern maker’s white pine, beautiful stuff.

The professional modelmakers used these little bronze body spokeshaves.  Inexpensive and sturdy.  55 years later I’m still using them.  If you can find them, they are worth having.

654935E7-F542-4D58-A0E3-F127389D19D0.jpeg

Guys, I'm not saying that the Veritas miniature tools, for what they are, aren't well made or won't do the job within the limits of their sizes. Owning one, if you didn't have something better to do with your money, would, I'm sure, be satisfying. They're very cool. However, my point, perhaps stated more artfully here, is that they are "collectables" and, for the price, there are many other options which are designed to work wood in small sizes and better suited for those tasks than simply a miniature version of a much larger tool.

Two hands versus one hand. Capice?

05P8222 - Veritas Miniature Bench Plane

.https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/miniature-tools/planes/75057-veritas-miniature-bench-plane?item=05P8222

1-100_use.jpg

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products/Model Maker's Block Plane?path=block-planes&node=4072

The Lie-Neilsen model maker's block plane above, at around $100, costs twice as much as the Veritas miniature bench plane, but is engineered for a full sized hand. It is a knock-off of the original Stanley #101 model maker's plane. Used original Stanley #101's and other makers' new copies of the original Stanley #101 can be had for around twenty bucks.

Stanley Block Plane 101 - Review

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm

033925.jpg

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/kunzpalmplanewithhandle.aspx

And the current folded metal (not cast) Stanley version without the beaver-tail palm handle retails new for about seven bucks.

Z2Dyqwfo5oy.JPG

https://www.zoro.com/stanley-small-trimming-plane-12-101/i/G9174277/

And if you really want to go first class on such tools, consider the "finger planes" made for luthiers. The Ibex line will make a dent in your wallet, but they're finestkind.

191206.jpg

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/finger-planes.aspx

55 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Many years ago while studying Naval Architecture at the University of Michigan a group of built an 8ft long model of a tanker to tow in the Department’s 400ft+ long towing tank.  The Model was built from clear 5/4 pattern maker’s white pine, beautiful stuff.

The professional modelmakers used these little bronze body spokeshaves.  Inexpensive and sturdy.  55 years later I’m still using them.  If you can find them, they are worth having.

654935E7-F542-4D58-A0E3-F127389D19D0.jpeg

Garrett Wade has them, but they are presently out of stock.  https://www.garrettwade.com/miniature-spokeshave-set-3.html 

Miniature Spokeshave Set

An interesting discussion, and I suspect there is more to agree upon here than to disagree. Bob has helpfully illustrated the difference between miniature versions of full size tools and tools specifically designed for miniature wood working. Others have pointed out that their Veritas miniature tools are very capable of serious miniature woodworking. I have both types of small tools and would argue that each has its place on the workbench. For example, when tapering spars or planks I will often use a Stanley #101-style plane for bulk removal of material but for the last few finer cuts I prefer the better 'feel' I get from a Veritas low angle block plane held in my fingertips. And there are occasions when a Veritas tool is clearly superior - for example getting into tight spaces with a miniature chisel where a full size handle would be impractical.

Horses for courses, as they say. These Veritas miniatures are definitely not toys, as evidenced by the quality of materials and manufacture - especially the blades. If properly prepared and set up when new, they will perform extremely well with regular light honing.

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

I don't own a Veritas spokeshave but have found their miniature block plane one of my favorite tools. I have used it often and to very satisfying results. It fits my hand perfectly and I would not hesitate to recommend it for appropriate miniature model work. The blade was very sharp upon arrival and it is very easy to adjust unlike other hobby planes I have tried. I also have a set of their miniature chisels that I really like for making very precise cuts when needed. I recently used them to clean up a rabbet and they were far superior to a scalpel or a hobby knife with a chisel blade. I am not a tool junky but really do like these tools I mentioned and have found them very useful.