Medieval long-ship by bolin - 1:30 - based on reconstruction Helga Holm

Posted (edited)

Today a call was made from the boat club where we have the reconstruction. "Your boat is sitting on the bottom!" 😟

I went out after lunch, and there she was:

20210502_133405.thumb.jpg.904743faa60701ad4460f9040c69dc37.jpg

This is not the first time this happened. In the spring, before the wood has swollen the cracks shut, there is always leakage. Today the pumps had both stopped; one was clogged with sawdust from the ship builders, and one had fallen so that the switch deactivated it. A quick fix and when the pumps stared she started to rise from the bottom.

In the smaller shipyard I have continued with preparing the rigging.

In the find there are four pairs of holes below the stringer on the upmost plank. These has been interpreted as fastening for the shrouds, and is the basis on which the rig has been reconstructed. The rig reconstruction was made by experts from the viking ship museum in Roskilde Denmark, and the reconstruction report does not have so much details about sources etc. for it. Through each pair of holes there is a loop of rope.

20210502_112944.thumb.jpg.06aca982a2e8e031bf7690a74442d9a7.jpg

From this loop the shrouds are attached either using an L-shaped "shroud needle" (direct translation of the Swedish word) or a pin, see below.

DSC_0849.thumb.jpg.50a5ee66866da46dc147d003c4d1f64f.jpg

The foremost and aft shroud line goes through blocks so that it is easier to adjust the tension. This is the aspect of the rig reconstruction that I would like to have had the sources and motivations for. In practice, when the tension needs to be adjusted, you will change all four lines, not just the fore and aft one.

DSC_0845.thumb.jpg.75c11fd27eb1422919447b2f92d192c8.jpg

I have started with the "shroud needles" and some blocks.

20210502_195133.thumb.jpg.ea2127c8036ba57e549a0a54e59c971e.jpg

20210430_185953.jpg

Edited by bolin
21 hours ago, Mark Pearse said:

it must make some interesting moments for the helmsman when making a sharp turn.

😁 it sure does. You need to lean as far out as you can. Mostly, sharp turns are needed in calm seas and when rowing, so risks are low.

Before I continue with the rigging I need to mount the model on its final base. After considering different options I have bought material for a case with wooden frame and acrylic glass panes.

As a bit of practice I made a drawing in a free CAD program (QCAD). I have limited experience with similar programs, but felt that this one was easy to use. At least on the basic level of drawing a box. I could of course have used pen and paper for this, but I have some future projects planned where I think that a CAD program will be useful. So I took the opportunity to practice.

bild.thumb.png.66f054cff6a3ee024a1e4289b37e72e6.png