1/48 Italeri CH47 (Chinook) "Big Wokka" RAF

10 minutes ago, lmagna said:

To true but I think in earlier times or models they were not present. But like all choppers the downwash while hovering close to the ground can be pretty significant, especially in a bird as big as a CH and all kinds of stuff can be kicked up and thrown into the engines. I think almost all helicopters have some kind of intake protection these days. We had engine filters on the Hueys that resembled something from a vacuum cleaner.  

I remember the dust boxes  that were fitted to S - 61  Sea Kings   - I think  related to when they went out to the  Kuwait/ Iraq   areas, I think they were not just screens but actual filters  - they looked powerd  as they were a physical box.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nicely done screens, mate.  Unfortunately, can't do that on bigger jets, too much of an airflow reduction. We did have screens the engine mechs put on for some ground runs. Sucking birds down intakes is hazardous to engine longevity. I've had a couple of bird strikes, but wings and canopies don't make you stop flying. The Big Wokka is looking good, OC.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

25 minutes ago, Canute said:

Nicely done screens, mate.  Unfortunately, can't do that on bigger jets, too much of an airflow reduction. We did have screens the engine mechs put on for some ground runs. Sucking birds down intakes is hazardous to engine longevity. I've had a couple of bird strikes, but wings and canopies don't make you stop flying. The Big Wokka is looking good, OC.

Thanks Ken, much appreciated mate,   was you able to fly an F4   on one engine if you had to shut down  the other  re - bird strike?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Yeah, I did. It wasn't a bird strike down the intake. We broke an oil line and shut the engine down.We went home and just had to land a little faster than usual. Good triple redundant hydraulics helped.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

31 minutes ago, Canute said:

Yeah, I did. It wasn't a bird strike down the intake. We broke an oil line and shut the engine down.We went home and just had to land a little faster than usual. Good triple redundant hydraulics helped.

Thanks mate,   glad you made it ok.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

OC, I never had to use a "silk let down". Had some close calls, but all my landings matched my takeoffs. Got towed back to parking in a dead state, but that was due to icy taxiways. The runway was "acceptable" (I don't know who made that call, but the pilot and I both questioned his evaluation skill), although very sporty.

Ken

Evening to my band of  following dudes  and  all who look over my little  workflow  -  so  I have started and completed  the maksing  ready for the primer/paint  layers, the main entrance door was straight forward  just Two doors joined together with tape then pushed inplace and held behind with blue tack,  the other side window was covered with card and tape  - the rear ramp area was covered with paper and tape and the upper ramp door secured with blue tack and tape  and finaly the gearbox cutout has had some sponge  pushed inside  - so  alreadfy  now.

OC.

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm not sure that the intake filters were ever powered on choppers.   Most of the ones I've seen take the incoming air and 'cyclone' (for lack of a better word).  The realitively clean air goes into the engine and the dust and debris goes out he side/top/bottom of the filter.  Many different designs depending on the engine.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I'm not sure that the intake filters were ever powered on choppers.   Most of the ones I've seen take the incoming air and 'cyclone' (for lack of a better word).  The realitively clean air goes into the engine and the dust and debris goes out he side/top/bottom of the filter.  Many different designs depending on the engine.

Thanks Mark.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    right  Primer day   - it was a bit fiddly  as it had be done outside,   the idea was to sit it on a box  ontop of our covered  deck bench, then   spray what I could while walking around the wokka, then left it a few minutes  to dry till I could pick it up and place it down so I could spray the underside,   only issue I had was a bit of a run  near the winch  - I left it to dry for a few moments then rushed it inside still on the box and straight into our cupbaord.

This evening I was able to check it out and give the run a light wet and dry  - problem solved.

OC.

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

looking really good OC..........you've made quite a bit of progress :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

looking really good OC..........you've made quite a bit of progress :) 

Thanks mate, they say the primer is the "Tell tail"    as it shows up everything.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Bit of progress  (sort of)   I took the wokka outside  got the outdoor bench set up again  with a box to  put it on,  got my rattle can  RAF Green   then after a warm up and thorough  shake, I started spraying.................ups................splirt splirt  got half the  wokka  done then it ran out😬

So as it stands its put away  de gasing in the cupboard  keeping the smell locked away,    will have to wait now till the new year  before I can finish it.

Oh well   I have my Waterloo  figures to keep me out of trouble.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

don't ya just hate that ?!?!?! :ph34r:  Murphy..........I knew it!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

don't ya just hate that ?!?!?! :ph34r:  Murphy..........I knew it!

Murthy disguised  as  empty rattle can  - it tricked me  it said  "Shake me shake me -  I have enough inside"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

it's a common affliction though.........I seem to be running low on flat black :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You have to be alert... Murphy is one sneaky creature* and is full of surprises.  

* You can replace the word "creature" of the word you prefer.  My was too obscene for this site.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Coming along nicely OC!  Looks like it will be a nice sized model.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Coming along nicely OC!  Looks like it will be a nice sized model.

Thanks Mike,    its paused for a bit  ran out of spray paint.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Is 47 decibels  very loud for a  sprayers  compressor?    could you use something of that  noise level in a sitting room without it causing disruption to normal tv watching?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

47 DB is considered about the same as heavy rainfall, a dishwasher, light conversation, bird calls, (Depending on bird of course) Chances are that your TV is making more or about the same amount of noise.

So whether it interferes with TV watching would depend on how far a way it is from the TV and how close the watcher of said TV is and what their hearing is. The buzzing of a small air compressor could make the conversations on TV hard to understand if it was close enough to the listener.

I suspect that the compressor I use is about that sound level and it does not seem to bother my wife's Tv watching when i have used it when 35-40 feet away in the adjoining dinning room In my house the living abd dinning rooms are really just one long large room of probably 20+ feet each and my work area is almost as far from the TV as you can get and still be in the house so it is probably more like 40 feet.

The little compressor I have been using looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Compressor-C-16-B-Compre/dp/B00ATEKB5G/ref=asc_df_B00ATEKB5G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167148482147&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8170202559968232396&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033347&hvtargid=pla-310332754799&psc=1

Except it was not that expensive when I bought it years ago at a local hobby shop along with the airbrush.

I am certain that it would not meet with approval with the master airbrush users here on the forum but you might be surprised what you could do with something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Action-Airbrush-Compressor-Kit-Spray-Air-Brush-Set-Tattoo-Nail-Art-Gift/383319913495?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225086%26meid%3D96a22ad8f6b34fe5b12088ce4ca88ee9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D114013068842%26itm%3D383319913495%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It is almost exactly or possibly is exactly what I used for my Huey build so far.

You can make your own opinion by watching some of these: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cheep+airbrush+comparison+ AirbrushAsylum seemed to think that this airbrush was goo enough to carry in their own inventory as an alternative: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NTM8TY/?ref=exp_airbrushasylum_dp_vv_d&th=1

My argument is that even if it only did as well as a rattle can it would more than pay for it's self in a sort time just in the savings in paint. My experience is that my cheap little gun does MUCH better than a can and so far has been very miserly on paint usage. It has also only been limited by my inexperience not by it's ability.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

could you use something of that  noise level in a sitting room without it causing disruption to normal tv watching?

I agree with Lou, you're TV is probably louder than that.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I'd say go for it OC, I've gone and got one of my daughters getting me one, very similar to Lou's approximately £40 from Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07H85JQJ7/ref=psdcmw_3063725031_t1_B018LOO8YA#

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thank you for the comments guys  - will have to see how next year pans out, another thing that sounds good is being able to use none smelly acrylic paints  meaning  hassle/smell free painting in the house without having all that fuss  having to paint outside controled by the weather then having to rush the smelly painted thing through the lounge  and into the cupboard before the admiral gets a wiff  of it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I do like that price for a starter air brush.  Almost, but no quite, makes me want to do another plastic kit but my wood builds have the priority.    I'll sit quietly until the urge goes away.......

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Another thing about these airbrushes and their small pumps.

If the noise level is too loud you can always throw a folded towel into an empty cardboard box lay the pump on it, run the hose out and close the flaps while it is running.  that would muffle the sound so much that you may not notice it from six feet away. There would be plenty of air leakage in the box so the pump would not be starved for air.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 minute ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Very cool!

Thank you Phil,

All the best to you and yours mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Merry Christmas and all the best to you and yours as well!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me